Passing game issues

I'm of the mindset that within the first 3 possessions of a game a deep throw of 25 yards or more should be attempted. And for the teams capable of capitalizing on them throw them that often throughout a game. But to only do it once a game at the end... Even if you aren't completing em the attempts should be made to show that you'll do it and keep em honest. Otherwise defenses can make it crazy tough to do what you want when all you're plays are within 15 yards of the LOS

They're using Greg Davis's Ouija board to call offensive plays this year. The planchette only moves horizontally on Davis's board.

^^^^ how do you think Fitzie and Northwestern beat us so often in these lower scoring slugfests!!!
Good defenses and D coordinators can make it tough on you. To be successful with our style of play we have to be dominant at it. Being just ok at running the football or ok at converting on 3rd and 4s and less doesn't cut it. Because we aren't making up for it with explosive chunk plays very often.

Now I say that and Goodson has ripped off like 3 nice long runs for us. But 2 were due to defensive mistakes in how they lined up as much as us dominating them. Can that continue? Because yeah we put together a crazy long drive against Kent St marching short chunks at a time but can we do that against PSU? They'll have to show us I'm sure I'm not the only one doubting that.

I feel encouraged after today's game. I took some shit after the ISU game for saying I thought we were going to need a bit more out of the O, specifically the passing game, than what we had seen so far. I don't know if that's enough to label me a critic but, fwiw, I saw some strides I'm the passing game today.

Yeah, it's Kent State, but I thought their D looked energetic and disciplined and we still put up a really good stat line in the passing game. Still took care of the ball, but we spread the rock around, too.
From what I read, their two corners are marginal NFL prospects. I thought the WR played ok and has room to grow given the youth.

Two things can be true. Our offense has not needed to do much and has played complimentary football, AND they will need to do more as the season progresses. Those thoughts can live in the same universe and the latter is not necessarily an insult.

I agree we need to take a few deep shots per game, especially early, to loosen things up. BF can design a run fake, max protection two route go that won't lead to a sack and could lead to a big play. Beyond those type of design plays, I don't really think BF/KF want Petras holding the ball and pushing it down field right now. The OL is still a work in progress.

The offense is not going to turn into a jaugernaut passing attack. But, with clever play design BF can loosen up the D for the running game without putting the game on Petras' back. Jet sweeps, flea flicker, better screens, and designed deep shots. And, I think you have to call a QB draw early in the game to get Petras some contact and positive vibes. Calm him down ASAP.