PARKER & O'KEEFE PRESSER NOTES (FINISHED)

Re: Assistant Pressers as I type

Is there a WR break out?

We have been pushing the young guys. Coach Campbell knows the old guys, but we have been pushing Keenan Davis and Jordan Cotton has started to emerge as a playmaker. He has been outhustling people for balls. He has a ways to go in learning a few things here and there as far as assignments, but he loves to go get the ball and he is going full speed. He has to work on his blocking, but most WR have to do that and it takes time because we do expect them to block unlike some other places. They have to go get the safeties and that is not an easy thing.

I like this dig at other programs that allow their WRs to take plays off. It is yet another indicator of the attention that this staff pays to details and to total team play.

Re: Assistant Pressers as I type

I like this dig at other programs that allow their WRs to take plays off. It is yet another indicator of the attention that this staff pays to details and to total team play.

That remark by O'Keefe I feel really validates what I've thought for some time: that DJK's stint in the doghouse was because of his downfield blocking, or lack thereof. Watch Greene's highlight videos from '08 (it's always kind of fun anyways), and watch DJK. He almost NEVER engages a defender. He'll do some kind of dance with a guy, but never touch him. I swear Greene knocked him out on purpose in the Minnesota game. He looked right at him before he veered.

And when DJK re-entered the lineup, his blocking was noticeably improved, IMO. I really think that's what landed him on the bench.

Great stuff Jon. Am looking forward to Saturday, and just being at Kinnick soaking up the atmosphere. I actually ran into KOK this evening of all places at the old DQ on Riverside in IC. Visited briefly with him, very down to earth. Can't wait till Saturday!

Sash and Greenwood should be better than Sanders and Considine? That is an amazing statement to me. I would be really happy if that were true this year.

That gave me chills too until I reread it. I think Coach P was trying to say Sash and GW will be better than they were last year...not better than Bob and Sean. I'd love to be wrong though!

I'm already looking at week-to-week inseason for next fall. First two games at home. "Trap" game in Tuscon that our staff will NOT allow the team to fall into like when Drew Tate led us down there last time. It may sound funny, but I think the Ball State game is crucial. We MUST improve each of the first four weeks to greet PSU with our O and D firing on all cylinders. A 27-13 win against BSU could really bode badly for our Big-10 opener against joe pa's boys, the next week. 57-0 over BSU, with 500 yds offense could really set us up nicely for the nittnys. 13 days to prepare to go to Ann Arbor will be used effectively by our staff. Wisconsin being at home will be a plus. Road games at Indiana and Norwthwestern should be just what the doctor ordered in the way of getting into a 'workmanlike rythem' that a top-10 team needs to adopt in mid-season. Hosting the Buckeyes at home may be even a bigger deal than it was the last time we were the national game of the week against them in Kinnick, and we spit the bit (though we all have the screen saver of the crowd pre-kickoff on our pc's). For the first time in a long time, a Hawkeye fan may not be able to buy a cheap ticket to watch Iowa-Minny in the twin-cities. I would not be surprised if all the Gophers home games are sell-outs this season, by their home faithful. That new stadium is a beautiful college football arena. But, even if we have to watch it on tv, the weather outdoors, that week of the year, in Minnesota is brutal. With the most experienced defense in the nation (how many career starts will our D have among them by then? 225? I believe with steam coming out of every players facemask in that possibly sub-freezing atmosphere; our D-line will have frozen snot streaming from the faces of about a dozen Gophers-all-game-long. Especially if the result means choosing between WHICH of the six BCS games our Hawks go to.....including the most important BCS game...played the second week of January.

Latest posts