Parker good hire, BUT....

PeoriaHWKI

the clock is ticking on KF now. His handling of the media, the new age of college football, his own players, technolgy of social media and is inability or willingness to change or adpat to these areas I am afraid is going to catch up to him.

He is an old ball coach. He doesn't like to take hard questions. I would tell Mr. Ferentz this. You bring it on yourself and how you handle it. This close to the vest way of handling things is old and is losing it 's place. If you are winning 10 games every year and contend for the conference championship then fine do it that way. But that isn't happening. You are paid like it should. You act like it should, but it just isn't happening.

You don't want to answer tough questions? You dont like the rumors flaoting around about you or your organization? You don't want transparency? Then you reap what you sow. Hell, even your own recruits are specualting on what is happening. This tells me you are losing touch.

I am tired of him dodging questions on the Big Ten race or National rankings? I want a coach who is out there every week saying that is our goal is to win a national championship. Kids want that. Kids want to play for a coach that wants that. They don't want a coach saying, " I don't worry about that stuff. That is your guys in the media's job." I don't want that coach. " I don't want a coach after gettign beat my Iowa State saying " They were a tough team. Every team we play is tough. We have a battle every week we play." BS! I want a coach who gets up there and says this is unacceptable. We are Iowa and this is a Hawkeye state!

This setting the bar low for yourself so when you scrap together a 10 win BCS game every 5 years or so is BS. I am on to it. Set the bar low so when you have an above average season you negotiate your contract to extend your tenure.

So the clock is ticking Mr. Fernetz. You did it your way. For years the fans have dealt much of their gref on your coordiantors. Okeefe and Parker carried the negaative load for years. What happens now when things don't change? What happens now when we get the same results? What happens now when we continue to get beat by Iowa State, Minnesota, and Northwestern because we see the same. At your price, I don't think we can afford it any longer.

Don't get me wrong. I like Parker as a hire. I think he is due. He has produced some great DB's at Iowa. My fear is we won't see improvement. We see the same on the field as we see off the field. In my eyes it is getting old.

Go Hawks!

I completely disagree about the clock is now ticking on Kirk Ferentz.

Kirk is going to be here pretty much as long as he wants unless the bottom completely falls out.

And given the fact that Iowa usually plays 3 tomato cans in the non-conference schedule he only needs to scratch out 3 or 4 conference wins to get to 7 overall, depending on the 4th non-conference opponent.

Given the overall weakness of the B10, Kirk is going to get Iowa to 6,7,8 wins next year and beyond. That is not going to get him fired, or even in hot water.

I think Jon's article on Iowa's defense said a lot. Iowa's defense has been among the best in the country over the past 10 years, some years better than others. Last years defense was the result of losing some major components on the defensive line and Sash leaving early didn't help. The past 2 recruiting classes show a lot of promise in getting back to where we're used to (Hopefully) Overall the defense has been a strong point. I don't know how much we can "improve" on defense than what Iowa has done overall.

The offense, however is an area that I'd like to see improvement. The offense has come up short in a majority of the close losses over the past few years. Chalk it up to predictable play calling, clock management, the fact is something has to change or at least be tweaked. As far as Kirk's antics with the media, winning more games would definitely quiet the crowd.

This question is what constitutes as the bottom falling out.
What if they go 5-7 & 6-6 the next two seasons?

I don't think that attendance gets below 50,000 with those type of seasons. In my mind that is the real bottom falling out: 20,000 or more unsold tickets 7 times a year.

For example, coming of a 3 win season in 1998, one of the worst seasons in the Fry/Ferentz era, Iowa was one of if not the very worst BCS conference team in 1999. Going into the season finale against Minnesota Iowa had 1 win. Attendance that day in Kinnick was just over 55,000 (I was one of them). That was the only game that season at Kinnick with less than 60,000. Worst season in 30+ years and 60,000 people showed up for 5/6 games in Kinnick.

You may be making the mistake of thinking that college football is about winning games, its not. Its about making money.

Kirk puts out solid teams that don't embarrass themselves by getting blown out often and usually win 4 conference games. At Iowa, that is going to sell a lot of tickets.

Yep I am sure you are right. Kirk behind close doors is telling his players that he is satisfied with 4 conference wins and 7 win seasons. I am sure he does not have a goal of winning big 10 championships. Maybe if he takes up Twitter that would help.

By the vast majority of programs around the country would kill for 2 BCS bowl games in 10 years and multiple big 10 championships

the clock is ticking on KF now. His handling of the media, the new age of college football, his own players, technolgy of social media and is inability or willingness to change or adpat to these areas I am afraid is going to catch up to him.

He is an old ball coach. He doesn't like to take hard questions. I would tell Mr. Ferentz this. You bring it on yourself and how you handle it. This close to the vest way of handling things is old and is losing it 's place. If you are winning 10 games every year and contend for the conference championship then fine do it that way. But that isn't happening. You are paid like it should. You act like it should, but it just isn't happening.

You don't want to answer tough questions? You dont like the rumors flaoting around about you or your organization? You don't want transparency? Then you reap what you sow. Hell, even your own recruits are specualting on what is happening. This tells me you are losing touch.

I am tired of him dodging questions on the Big Ten race or National rankings? I want a coach who is out there every week saying that is our goal is to win a national championship. Kids want that. Kids want to play for a coach that wants that. They don't want a coach saying, " I don't worry about that stuff. That is your guys in the media's job." I don't want that coach. " I don't want a coach after gettign beat my Iowa State saying " They were a tough team. Every team we play is tough. We have a battle every week we play." BS! I want a coach who gets up there and says this is unacceptable. We are Iowa and this is a Hawkeye state!

This setting the bar low for yourself so when you scrap together a 10 win BCS game every 5 years or so is BS. I am on to it. Set the bar low so when you have an above average season you negotiate your contract to extend your tenure.

So the clock is ticking Mr. Fernetz. You did it your way. For years the fans have dealt much of their gref on your coordiantors. Okeefe and Parker carried the negaative load for years. What happens now when things don't change? What happens now when we get the same results? What happens now when we continue to get beat by Iowa State, Minnesota, and Northwestern because we see the same. At your price, I don't think we can afford it any longer.

Don't get me wrong. I like Parker as a hire. I think he is due. He has produced some great DB's at Iowa. My fear is we won't see improvement. We see the same on the field as we see off the field. In my eyes it is getting old.

Go Hawks!

I pretty much disagree with everything you have stated here,and I am confident that over 95% of Iowa fans would agree with me.

This just in...nobody but a few thousand fanatics really give a flying eff about the media relations of the Iowa football coach.
95% of Iowa fans are tuned in for the actual games,not hanging on every single word that KF utters at his pressers.

I think you need to step back and take a deep breath. Social media? I saw Urban Meyer banned twitter for his players the other day...is he too ''old school'' to succeed? Virtually every major college coach is in KF's stance on this.

Ever see a Nick Saban presser during the year? He makes the old Kremlin look like a silicon valley operation.

The irony in your post is that you concede that KF made a smart hire.
But, in your world,substance is an afterthought,evidently.
You want the show...the phony emotional outburst to satisfy your own need to rage against the machine or something....trust me..most Iowa fans do not crave KF to become a screaming maniac foaming at the mouth during games....it would not be authentic,and most people prefer substance over style.

Latest posts