Paige, extremely overmatched

No offense but I thought the exact same thing about gesell when Iowa played VTech and Wich St. Freshman pg playing against experienced and athletic guards. Both are going to get better as they gain confidence. I guarantee Paige is doing something in practice that RW likes or he wouldn't be playing the minutes he is. Roy understands that freshman can be fragile emotionally and he is letting paige work through it. I think Gesell has a better stroke from the outside which is helping him right now, but they are pretty comparable players in the long run. Paige is a little quicker defensively and Gesell poses more of a threat from the outside.

It's ridiculous to write a kid off halfway thru his freshman year.

Except Gesell weighs more than 150 pounds.

Why we comparing Paige to Gesell? We would have gotten Gesell regardless if Paige would have came to Iowa or not. The question is how does Paige compare to Clemmons? If Paige HAD (never was going to happen) came to Iowa then I doubt Clemmons would have came to Iowa. I am very happy with the progress Clemmons has made in the short time he has been here, he has already knocked Gesell out of the starting PG role but given a choice I would take Paige in a heart beat.

But since Fran never really had a shot at getting Paige I think he did alright getting Clemmons. In the long run Clemmons could turn out to be the better player.

Why we comparing Paige to Gesell? We would have gotten Gesell regardless if Paige would have came to Iowa or not. The question is how does Paige compare to Clemmons? If Paige HAD (never was going to happen) came to Iowa then I doubt Clemmons would have came to Iowa. I am very happy with the progress Clemmons has made in the short time he has been here, he has already knocked Gesell out of the starting PG role but given a choice I would take Paige in a heart beat.

But since Fran never really had a shot at getting Paige I think he did alright getting Clemmons. In the long run Clemmons could turn out to be the better player.

This is wrong. And also, Clemmons did not knock Gesell out of the starting PG role, he knocked May out of the starting SF role.

This is wrong. And also, Clemmons did not knock Gesell out of the starting PG role, he knocked May out of the starting SF role.

Clemmons knocked McCabe out of the starting lineup....your trolling is getting weaker and weaker as the Hawks are getting better and winning......this slip might be the death nail for any HN Awards for Ghosto.....

So you're saying Woodbury should of went to UNC?

If Woodbury had chosen a top 5 all time hoops program, it would be hard to knock the kid for that choice.

On a side note, anybody read the article on the kid from Chi City choosing Duke and then getting blasted by rabid, crazy, delusional fans :).

If Woodbury had chosen a top 5 all time hoops program, it would be hard to knock the kid for that choice.

On a side note, anybody read the article on the kid from Chi City choosing Duke and then getting blasted by rabid, crazy, delusional fans :).

Which rabid, delusional fans? Michigan State's? He was never going to Illinois. Of course we keep hearing from Illini fans how their new coach is the best recruiter in the land. Maybe they thought he could swing it in his favor with a last minute push.

Webber was a great recruiter but couldn't coach them, much like Ravelling he was a great recruiter but didn't coach them this even happened at USC. sometime yoiu need a great recruiter and a coach that can coach them..
Mr. Davis and Ravelling would made a great pair

Webber was a great recruiter but couldn't coach them, much like Ravelling he was a great recruiter but didn't coach them this even happened at USC. sometime yoiu need a great recruiter and a coach that can coach them..

Weber wasn't that great of a recruiter. Cryers Leonard is the only player he recruited at Illinois who made it to the NBA. Guys Like Deron Williams, James Augustine, Roger Powell, Luther Head, and Dee Brown who made it to the NBA...all recruited by Bill Self.

Webber actually struggled with recruiting. His success came with Self's recruits and when they left the recruiting fell down. He then hired assistant coaches to recruit Chicago/Peoria which was rich with talent a handful of years ago. He got some good kids there but for some reason just did not seem to connect or run an offense that actually put to use the talent of the players. He wanted to run 1/2 court offense with a bunch of screens.

This new coach has come in and seems to run a much better offense based on the players talents. I guess they say the new coach is a guy who uses advanced stats and whatnot. He served on the Ohio State staff when the team went to the Final Four with Oden on the team. He sounds pretty interesting and might be a pretty good coach as his recruiting seems to be going well.

Which rabid, delusional fans? Michigan State's? He was never going to Illinois. Of course we keep hearing from Illini fans how their new coach is the best recruiter in the land. Maybe they thought he could swing it in his favor with a last minute push.

The article per ESPN indicated the UNC fan base was ripping the kid for his choice. He hasn't set foot on campus and the tarheels already hate the kid.

You are right, because teams that are 8-3 are obviously overmatched in about EVERY game.

Give me a break. Most anyone who is saying Paige is not living up to expectations is doing so because they want us to have gotten the better guard from that AAU team. His numbers are pretty comparable to Gesell's (maybe a little lower) but they play a tougher schedule by far in the non-con (correct me if I am wrong) and he is only 2.2 minutes off of the high minute guy on the team. His sub is probably better than ours, as well, for what that is worth, so he might play less because of that.

Sometimes people on this board just kill me. It is hilarious to see the B & G glasses sometimes. And that comes from one of the biggest Iowa fans anywhere.

Look at their schedule and you will see that the teams they have played that have a pulse in their conference have beaten them and they haven't really been close.

The same fans that say Paige is overmatched also said that Gesell/Clemmons were in the two losses and that is fair, so B&G glasses do not apply.

UNC is going to struggle this season, the may make the tournament because the ACC is weak, but then again any team that has had size or physicality has beaten them soundly.

Latest posts