Padilla is not transfering

I have wondered about a similar situation with a lack of JUCO transfers into the program over the years. There have been years when we are particularly thin in talent (this years OL for example). Does no one on this staff see this coming and look for some fill-in help rather than play inexperienced or inadequate talent?

The QB thing is actually moot. The whole offensive scheme is what's causing the majority of the problems.

When people like us can point out dozens of points of predictability with play calling, imagine what guys like Mark Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, and Paul Chryst can do.

The only fix to this thing is to get Brian out, and my hope is that some big time donors will mutiny against KF and pressure Brian to move on to a lateral career move. The problem is he gets paid too much to take a different job and still make it look like he's advancing his career by leaving.

I'll say it again...

Get Brian a HC job at a G5 school or a position coach in the NFL again. Install LeVar Woods at OC for the duration of Farence's remaining tenure, and promote him to HC. If that does not happen, this program will tank within 5 years.

If LW isn't put on a track for the Iowa HC position, he will be coaching against us someday making millions and millions as a 10 win a year coach somewhere. Book it.

Coaches don't have to have previous OC experience like everyone thinks, either. I bet if you ask the Vikings if they'd like to have a time machine to go back and make a couple of their D-coordinators head caoches (guys by the name of Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin), they'd say yes. Let's not be the Vikings.

The QB thing is actually moot. The whole offensive scheme is what's causing the majority of the problems.

When people like us can point out dozens of points of predictability with play calling, imagine what guys like Mark Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, and Paul Chryst can do.

The only fix to this thing is to get Brian out, and my hope is that some big time donors will mutiny against KF and pressure Brian to move on to a lateral career move. The problem is he gets paid too much to take a different job and still make it look like he's advancing his career by leaving.

I'll say it again...

Get Brian a HC job at a G5 school or a position coach in the NFL again. Install LeVar Woods at OC for the duration of Farence's remaining tenure, and promote him to HC. If that does not happen, this program will tank within 5 years.

If LW isn't put on a track for the Iowa HC position, he will be coaching against us someday making millions and millions as a 10 win a year coach somewhere. Book it.

Coaches don't have to have previous OC experience like everyone thinks, either. I bet if you ask the Vikings if they'd like to have a time machine to go back and make a couple of their D-coordinators head caoches (guys by the name of Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin), they'd say yes. Let's not be the Vikings.

NFL is a totally different beast, breh. The Vikings are an incompetent organization on par with Cleveland. The coach is irrelevant with a bad front office.

That's how the transfer portal works, it's not fair but there is no way in hell either Petras or Padilla would generate much interest if they entered the portal, at least not from a P5 school.

Perhaps they weren't P5 material in the first place?

I am not in favor of using the portal for QBs but when we lose to a guy like Levis, it kinda makes you wonder.

We lost to kentucky because of our offense and mistakes. The defense played plenty great enough to win because kentucky only had 13 points with 4 minutes to go and they scored very late. The only negative about the defense would be the somewhat usual pattern of Iowa's defense giving up an early TD while they are adjusting and maybe not being aggressive enough. And once again, a defensive negative was the poor prevent the victory type defense on the winning drive.

But if the offense does its job (just once in awhile late) and runs out the clock (like wisky did in their bowl win by driving it 95 yards and using the last 10 minutes) the hawks win

I honestly think the caliber of guy who would have to have interest in Iowa at QB would have to be off the charts for Kurt and Co. to entertain it. We're talking Justin Fields level of talent.

The practice time is limited and Kurt & Co. don't roll guys out into the offense when they are fresh into the program. It just doesn't happen. Banks was a juco and he sat a year. Chandler sat a year. Tate sat a year. I think Christensen was forced into some starts as a freshman and he ended up being a disaster. It just doesn't happen. They want the QB to take care of the ball first and foremost and they want a guy to have a ton of time in the system before they hand over the keys. The guy has won 10 games two of the past three years and had a "10-win" looking team in 2020. It's pretty damned hard to second guess the process given Iowa's MASSIVE disadvantages and fairly low recruiting rankings.
I can't disagree with that take as that is what they are doing and how they handle it. I don't agree with it, but that is how they are running things.

It sucks.

I will say again about Petras, the guy could have a completely wide-open receiver and I would give him at least a 1/4 chance of over-throwing or under-throwing him. Frequently he locks on to one receiver and misses the wide open one streaking down the sideline.

He does have a lot of wins as a starter, but he is also getting a lot of help from other areas on his team. Petras should have Parker and the entire defense and special teams on his X-Mas list.

Padilla apparently can't beat this guy fully out in practice.

I think swallowing their pride and getting a multi-dimensional portal QB and modernizing the offense would have been progressive steps for this program.

I will say again about Petras, the guy could have a completely wide-open receiver and I would give him at least a 1/4 chance of over-throwing or under-throwing him. Frequently he locks on to one receiver and misses the wide open one streaking down the sideline.

He does have a lot of wins as a starter, but he is also getting a lot of help from other areas on his team. Petras should have Parker and the entire defense and special teams on his X-Mas list.

Padilla apparently can't beat this guy fully out in practice.

I think swallowing their pride and getting a multi-dimensional portal QB and modernizing the offense would have been progressive steps for this program
Agree. Neither guy is going to get it done next year. Cloudy, the future is...

I'll say it again...

This program is not tanking within the next 5 years. That’s overly dramatic.

They were 4*. Some live up to their billing, some don’t.
Yup... I saw that Hunter Johnson that was a 5 star who was at Northwestern the last couple yrs is transfering back to Clemson.. Not sure if he'll be on scholarship or not but that kid has been a total bust. He stunk every opportunity he got. Yet GAs Qb was a walk on who is forcing a 5 star kid to transfer out. QBs and recruiting sure as hell isn't an exact science that's for sure

This program is not tanking within the next 5 years. That’s overly dramatic.
I said it will tank within 5 years of Ferentz leaving unless they have Woods on track to be promoted.

Nowhere did I say the program was tanking in the next 5 years.

Is the problem with BF the system as a whole, or is it his specific play calling? Greg Davis was a disaster. There were not a lot of KOK fans on this board and I don't hear anyone calling for him to retake the OC mantle.

Do we have to change the offensive system altogether? Cause I don't see KF agreeing to that.

I personally believe Iowa can win running this system. We have all seen BF pull games out of his ass where he torches a team and can do no wrong. We have all seen that Wisconsin can consistently compete for championships running this pro system.

I have no idea if LW can call plays. I kinda doubt he would have done much better this year with the QB play we had.

I go back to the old adage that its not about the x and the Os, its about the Jimmy and the Joes. Our OL play was poor this year and our QBs are not good enough. Period. THAT is the problem that needs to be fixed. And, if BF cannot see that and convince his Dad that they need better talent on offense, then maybe he should go. Not sure LWs will do any better on that front though.

Agreed. If Petras was judged on physical attributes, he's going to be rated pretty highly. No question he's got a cannon. His HS highlight tape is ridiculously good as well.
Yeah just goes to show how kids adjust to the college game varies a lot. Just because they can doesn't mean they will.
I've seen where some folks think the QB job will be between Labas and Padilla with Petras being odd man out but heck if I know. Spring ball will be interesting that's all I do know

I have wondered about a similar situation with a lack of JUCO transfers into the program over the years. There have been years when we are particularly thin in talent (this years OL for example). Does no one on this staff see this coming and look for some fill-in help rather than play inexperienced or inadequate talent?
I think some of it is the "we will develop our own recruits" philosophy of Camp Kirk. Nothing wrong with that but you have to have a pretty solid 10 players on the OLine 2 deeps. Some guys can play many interior positions but each year you will lose a few of them.

Is the problem with BF the system as a whole, or is it his specific play calling? Greg Davis was a disaster. There were not a lot of KOK fans on this board and I don't hear anyone calling for him to retake the OC mantle.

Good post with good points and I am going to reply to your first part. I think one of the problems with the offense is predictability in the play calling patterns over 23 years, year over year. I think another problem is the conservative nature of Kirk's offensive philosophy which is it is ok to punt the ball at any time and let your defense do its work and the other team can't drive the field.

On offense let's look at a few off schedule type plays. At Nebby this year Brian called a medium range pass to LaPorta on hard play action on 3rd or 4th and 1. Laporta was wide open and the it was a big chunk play. Laporta also had that catch and then bobble of an somewhat errant pass on 4th down in the endzone that was probably a TD but reversed. Those are not the norm of Kirk forcing the run on short yardage. The bombs against Penn St were very unexpected of Kirk's philosophy even though the hawks were behind.

But the hawks do not do this type of stuff and take these chances enough to make defenses have to keep one or two players deeper in coverage and away from the box. So what happens too routinely is just what happened in the game against Kentucky, and many other games, where the hawks run 3 plays against 8-10 guys in the box and have to punt and then give up the late score to lose a game.

We have all seen that a very large number of times. I wish it didnt happen as a fan, I think Iowa's pro style offense could be very exciting like the old raiders of the 60s, Chargers of the 70s-80s, Cowboys, Steelers of bradshaw throwing bombs, etc.

I think Kirk could easily have 30 more wins at Iowa from just not giving up late leads against teams like Wisky, jNW, Minny, and some of the non-blue bloods in the game.

Let me ask you this, during most of then game when Iowa is on offense and they call a pass play on first down, are they going to run or pass on 2nd down and what is the percentage of time? My answer is 85% run, and a basic run at that, to try to get to 3rd down and 5 or 6 yards to go. More than half the times the hawks do not pick up a first down on 3rd and medium and they punt anyway. So my point is why not pass on 2nd and 10 a lot more so the defense doesnt know what is coming.

Kirk wants execution so execute on 2nd and 10 pass plays to get 8 to 12 yards and keep the defense off balance.