Owen Freeman is going to be B1G Freshman of the year

InGoodCo

Is this our first since Jbo?

Today, Owen was named to his 7th Freshman of the Week honors for the B1G. I don't think there's anyone even remotely close. Not bad for someone who wasn't in many top 150's.

I could see from the very onset of a few games that Owen was going to be good. Fran has a knack for recruiting Big’s.

Point guards not so much as far as All Big Ten level point guards. I am hoping our freshman guard finally breaks through the 24 inch thick ice. We will know by the end of his sophomore year if not sooner. Hopefuly sooner.

I was hopefully that Tony was going to be that guy. Lack of consistency through out his earlier years has been a problem. This year looks to be his best IMHO.

I could see from the very onset of a few games that Owen was going to be good. Fran has a knack for recruiting Big’s.

Point guards not so much as far as All Big Ten level point guards. I am hoping our freshman guard finally breaks through the 24 inch thick ice. We will know by the end of his sophomore year if not sooner. Hopefuly sooner.

I was hopefully that Tony was going to be that guy. Lack of consistency through out his earlier years has been a problem. This year looks to be his best IMHO.
Yeah, he might make 2nd or 3rd team if he plays like he has the last several games the rest of the way.

Yeah, he might make 2nd or 3rd team if he plays like he has the last several games the rest of the way.

I wish him the very best. Every type of recognition that individuals get can help with future recruiting for the team. I think that is why Fran does so well with the Bigs. He has a proven track record that says “I can coach you up and give you a shot at getting to the NBA.”

Maybe the officials will back off on calling fouls on him. Fran made the comment after Purdue that it would be nice if the refs would show him a little respect.
Well, they have not. The officials were a classic shit show at the Iowa/Ohio State game tonight. They looked confused, late whistles, then whistles prior to actions. They fussed around at the monitors. Never clarified their optics. Replays on the video board were great evidence of their errors. The BT needs to take some serious action with the poor quality of officiating.

Maybe the officials will back off on calling fouls on him. Fran made the comment after Purdue that it would be nice if the refs would show him a little respect.
Well, they have not. The officials were a classic shit show at the Iowa/Ohio State game tonight. They looked confused, late whistles, then whistles prior to actions. They fussed around at the monitors. Never clarified their optics. Replays on the video board were great evidence of their errors. The BT needs to take some serious action with the poor quality of officiating.

Not that you are wrong. Freeman makes a good amount of dumb fouls and that is part of his reputation as well. It goes hand in hand. I simply see it as a maturity/experience issue and he will be fine moving forward

Not that you are wrong. Freeman makes a good amount of dumb fouls and that is part of his reputation as well. It goes hand in hand. I simply see it as a maturity/experience issue and he will be fine moving forward
Good point.

He also overplays a bit too much trying to go for steals leaving his player to go to the rim. Again, he's young and it's a learning point. I'll take him with his upside and ceiling, though.

He's going to be a beast in this league his last two years!

Before the yr if you'd have told me that Freeman would be FOTY in BIG and that Bilew kid for ISU would be pulling splinters out of his ass from riding the bench all yr I'd have looked at you cross eyed. Not that I'm bashing the Bilew kid at all. It's just that he was a 5 star McDonalds all american blah blah blah and he's not done squat this yr. He might be in the NBA in 3 yrs yet but he's clearly got a long ways to go.

Freeman has a lot to learn yet too. The dumb fouls and way he gambles on D quite a bit have hurt team at times. But he rebounds and hustles all the time and when he does stay out of foul trouble and on the floor he's highly impactful. Not sure how high of a ceiling he has but I love that he doesn't let previous plays affect him. He's gotten dunked on a few times but he don't care. Just keeps going exactly like you'd hope.

Owen looked great in his senior year. A lot of people thought he was very underrated, and that turned out to be true.

He makes some typical freshman mistakes, but he also shoots a very high percentage, due to the dunks, he has shown he's likely become a much bigger rebounder as he learns the game and gets bigger. He protects the rim and that's another skill improved through practice and play-learn the timing.

Owen has a very bright future.

Latest posts