Owen Freeman B1G Freshman of Week Again

We can hope that he continues to learn and grow to a point that it becomes a contagion to the other players and they also continue to grow and improve to the point that they soon all gel together and become a cohesive and viable power in the Big Ten.

That’s my hope.

For what it's worth, Freeman is probably pacing ahead of Luka Garza at similar points in their careers.

A lot can happen over four years, and Luka had a hell of a work ethic, but sky is the limit for this kid.

It'd be pretty bad if he doesn't get FOY in the league since he's winning the weekly award most of the time.

I'm still blown away that he's the player he's been all yr. Compared to the Omaha Biliew kid that's riding the bench for ISU especially. That Omaha kid sure had some people fooled about his game evidently. I did not think for one second that between those two players that Freeman would have the larger impact this yr. Glad I was wrong about that.

Fran routinely has players out perform higher ranked kids that Iowa fans think we should have been on- think of DJ Carton and X Foster vs. Luka Garza and Kegan Murray. Fran coming up 2nd on the recruiting trail has actually worked out pretty well too.

Fran routinely has players out perform higher ranked kids that Iowa fans think we should have been on- think of DJ Carton and X Foster vs. Luka Garza and Kegan Murray. Fran coming up 2nd on the recruiting trail has actually worked out pretty well too.
DJ Carton woulda been good for us too damn it... He's playing in G league now often with Garza in Dsm.

X Foster... Man there's a guy that had to be second guessing having gone to ISU haha. I looked up his numbers for fun. He's only played in 21 games in his career so far. Hasn't done much of anything literally at SMU now. One would think Fran coulda developed him maybe injury bug has really slowed him down. Regardless it's a good thing we missed getting him even though I was pissed at the time we didn't

Here's a name I saw play last night Joe Toussaint is at TT. They knocked off Kansas at home. I didn't realize he was still playing and that he was there I thought he finished up at WV last yr. Covid yrs just has me all messed up on who's all still playing.

DJ Carton woulda been good for us too damn it... He's playing in G league now often with Garza in Dsm.

X Foster... Man there's a guy that had to be second guessing having gone to ISU haha. I looked up his numbers for fun. He's only played in 21 games in his career so far. Hasn't done much of anything literally at SMU now. One would think Fran coulda developed him maybe injury bug has really slowed him down. Regardless it's a good thing we missed getting him even though I was pissed at the time we didn't

Here's a name I saw play last night Joe Toussaint is at TT. They knocked off Kansas at home. I didn't realize he was still playing and that he was there I thought he finished up at WV last yr. Covid yrs just has me all messed up on who's all still playing.
I firmly believe that both Carton and the Xman would have been successes in Fran's system but sometimes we don't take the road that leads us to where we want to be. Fran has had a decent track record with his higher rated guys. Like, they all aren't a hit or maybe they all don't live up to expectations, but they almost always are key contributors within the program. While Fran has had his fair share of busts, it hasn't really been the guys ranked in the top 150 - most of them have panned out pretty well.

I agree that Freeman is playing at a higher level than Garza as a freshmen. I remember thinking that Garza was a waste of schollie and I could not understand why he was starting. He was up and down as a starter and bench guy that year. Freeman has taken the starting job and never looked back.

That all said, I am guessing they will be different players. Garza turned into an incredibly good 3 point shooter, and Owen does not look like he remotely has that skill set. He reminds me more of a skinny Woodbury, but with great instincts around the basket on offense and defense.

Can you imagine if he puts 20 pounds of muscle on???? His frame can take that. Excited for the future.

Posters on this site said Garza had peaked after his Freshman year and hung Fran for it. FWIW

Posters on this site said Garza had peaked after his Freshman year and hung Fran for it. FWIW
I was probably one of them. He looked slow, heavy and overmatched a lot as a freshman. Never would have dreamed he would turn into what he turned into. Fran can spot and develop talent. Once they got that cyst out of him, there was no stopping Garza (except the NCAA tourney, that stopped him). :)

Freeman hedges out past the 3 point line like Garza and Woody used to. Unlike them, he's going to be a nightmare for the other team when doing it tho. He's gambled a few times for steals and got burned. But man is he quick and relentless for his size.

Illinois
Indiana
Marquette
Michigan St.
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio St.
Purdue
Wisconsin
Iowa

These were the offers Freeman was getting out of high school. When you are getting these kind of offers, you sorta expect what you are currently seeing. IIRC, Garza’s best offer was Georgetown, even though he was a 4-star(top 150) he felt like a project.

Freeman is currently a 11 and 6 guy. At minimum…I expect him to be a 15 and 7 guy next year.

Illinois
Indiana
Marquette
Michigan St.
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio St.
Purdue
Wisconsin
Iowa

These were the offers Freeman was getting out of high school. When you are getting these kind of offers, you sorta expect what you are currently seeing. IIRC, Garza’s best offer was Georgetown, even though he was a 4-star(top 150) he felt like a project.

Freeman is currently a 11 and 6 guy. At minimum…I expect him to be a 15 and 7 guy next year.
He's a 15-7 guy right now if he stays out of foul trouble.

Freeman hedges out past the 3 point line like Garza and Woody used to. Unlike them, he's going to be a nightmare for the other team when doing it tho. He's gambled a few times for steals and got burned. But man is he quick and relentless for his size.

When it comes to hedging ball screens I am a Fran supporter, but I don’t see Freeman cracking the code on that. Defending ball screens, they have always been bad at that under Fran.

Latest posts