Oversigning

Foval21, you sound like either a contrarian just trying to aggravate posters or you got burned by something like this before.

So, you blame a high-school kid who is getting told about being taken care of and getting a college degree from a well-respected college coach? That coach who is sweet talking his mom about how they are going to turn her son into a man and that the coach will be looking out for him.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but give me a break. We would all be better off if the NCAA forced every conference to abide by the Big Ten's signing process in which you essentially cannot overs sign.

scholarships are 1 year contracts that can be renewed each year up to a maximum. Academic ones work the same way so if someone more qualified comes around you can lose your academic scholarship just like an athletic one. All college athletes and students should know this and if they don't they are naive to how it works and that is their problem. This is coming from someone who had a college scholarship for both sports and academics and I had to get each renewed each year and it was possible for either to be taken away because of not meeting certain requirements or someone better qualified coming along. The money issue is the money that football brings in. As long as the program is making money they won't do anything about it because they are getting so much from these kids.

BTW you do not need to sign a LOI to get an Athletic Scholarship and signing an LOI does not guarantee you will earn an athletic scholarship.
The solution is simple...make every conference abide by the Big Ten's signing rules. You're really out of touch if you don't see the issue with this.

Set a hard limit to the amount of signed LOI's a school can give out each year with no oversigning. Right now, there's no incentive to develop marginal players. SEC schools run them off and bring in more prospects. The NCAA graduation rate is figured on players who finish there eligability at a school. It doesn't count players who transfer in good standing.
Right now teams are being penalized by keeping marginal players for five years. There are few Warren Holloway stories at SEC schools.
The easy solution is to eliminate oversigning. Put every school on a level playing field. Reward schools that keep kids in school and work hard at player development.

Set a hard limit to the amount of signed LOI's a school can give out each year with no oversigning. Right now, there's no incentive to develop marginal players. SEC schools run them off and bring in more prospects. The NCAA graduation rate is figured on players who finish there eligability at a school. It doesn't count players who transfer in good standing.
Right now teams are being penalized by keeping marginal players for five years. There are few Warren Holloway stories at SEC schools.
The easy solution is to eliminate oversigning. Put every school on a level playing field. Reward schools that keep kids in school and work hard at player development.

There's got to be some wiggle room. Most of the schools in the Big Ten technically oversign, too. But it's not by much, which typically means the excess just accounts for transfers, early draft entries, etc. But the SEC goes well beyond that (see: Auburn's 34-signee surplus over the past 4 classes).

There's got to be some wiggle room. Most of the schools in the Big Ten technically oversign, too. But it's not by much, which typically means the excess just accounts for transfers, early draft entries, etc. But the SEC goes well beyond that (see: Auburn's 34-signee surplus over the past 4 classes).

Most schools in the B10 do NOT oversign. Four have in the past 9 yrs, once each.
However, I do agree that there needs to be a LITTLE wiggle room & agree 34 is ridiculous.

To me, anything beyond 28 is probably ridiculous & anything beyond 55 for two successive classes is also ridiculous.

If everyone played by that rule, I'd guess the playing field would be leveled and the B10 would hold a sizable advantage over the SEC.

Most schools in the B10 do NOT oversign. Four have in the past 9 yrs, once each.
However, I do agree that there needs to be a LITTLE wiggle room & agree 34 is ridiculous.

To me, anything beyond 28 is probably ridiculous & anything beyond 55 for two successive classes is also ridiculous.

If everyone played by that rule, I'd guess the playing field would be leveled and the B10 would hold a sizable advantage over the SEC.

I define oversigning as signing more than 85 players over any 4-year period. Seven Big Ten schools, including Iowa, did that over the past recruiting cycle. It's not by a lot (Minnesota had the most at 97), so it falls within the transfer/early entry/etc. category.

anyone see the QB in the army all american game commit to Auburn only to have Auburn tell him they had NO spot.

Latest posts