Overrated teams in the AP Top 25

bud2380

Who do you think are the most overrated teams in the Top 25? Not even necessarily that they don't belong there now, but they won't finish that high when the season is over?

For me there are 3 teams in no particular order. They are Texas A&M, Oklahoma St, and South Carolina. What has A&M done to deserve to be #8? They had a solid but not spectacular year last year. My assumption is they have a fair amount coming back. I'm surprised to see them that high. They have a fairly easy schedule this year, but do have a few very tough games, @ OK, home Ok St, vs Arkansas on neutral field and @ Texas Tech.

Oklahoma St again has yet to prove they can play with the big boys. They constantly start out strong and look like they are going to be pretty good, but then get their butts kicked by anyone in contention in the Big 12. I don't see why this year will be any different. They also did themselves no favors and scheduled only 6 home games this year.

South Carolina - people are trying believe that Steve Spurrier is still going to take SC to the promised land apparently because he was able to do so at talent rich Florida. Here is a FACT, South Carolina won 9 games last year for the 2nd time in 26 years. That's pathetic. They are a historically mediocre to bad football program. Spurrier teaches no discipline by letting their star QB back on the team time and time again after he screws up. 8 wins will be tops for SC this year. In fact I think they will start the year 0-2.

The other team worth mentioning is Michigan St. They deserve to be ranked 17, I think that is fair coming off an 11-2 season, but they actually have a schedule this year, whereas last year they had as fortunate of a schedule as you can get. But MSU will take a step back this year in the W/L column for sure. They will not be ranked come Oct 2nd.

Underrated teams, Miss St (20), & Texas (26).

Who do you think are the most overrated teams in the Top 25? Not even necessarily that they don't belong there now, but they won't finish that high when the season is over?

For me there are 3 teams in no particular order. They are Texas A&M, Oklahoma St, and South Carolina. What has A&M done to deserve to be #8? They had a solid but not spectacular year last year. My assumption is they have a fair amount coming back. I'm surprised to see them that high. They have a fairly easy schedule this year, but do have a few very tough games, @ OK, home Ok St, vs Arkansas on neutral field and @ Texas Tech.

Oklahoma St again has yet to prove they can play with the big boys. They constantly start out strong and look like they are going to be pretty good, but then get their butts kicked by anyone in contention in the Big 12. I don't see why this year will be any different. They also did themselves no favors and scheduled only 6 home games this year.

South Carolina - people are trying believe that Steve Spurrier is still going to take SC to the promised land apparently because he was able to do so at talent rich Florida. Here is a FACT, South Carolina won 9 games last year for the 2nd time in 26 years. That's pathetic. They are a historically mediocre to bad football program. Spurrier teaches no discipline by letting their star QB back on the team time and time again after he screws up. 8 wins will be tops for SC this year. In fact I think they will start the year 0-2.

The other team worth mentioning is Michigan St. They deserve to be ranked 17, I think that is fair coming off an 11-2 season, but they actually have a schedule this year, whereas last year they had as fortunate of a schedule as you can get. But MSU will take a step back this year in the W/L column for sure. They will not be ranked come Oct 2nd.

I wouldn't list SC or OKSt. Oklahoma State returns a ton on both sides of the ball. They will be able to score with anyone, and will be able to actually stop teams this year.

As for SC, Spurrier is a ******, but he finally recruited something that can bail him out. And that is a volume carry back with as much talent as anyone in the country. He doesn't need Garcia to be good. Lattimore can just carry the load.

SC has top 5 talent at two of the skill positions (Lattimore at RB and Jeffrey at WR). As long as Garcia stays out of trouble, they should be pretty good.

PSU is overrated by even being ranked (in the coaches)... I think they are going to be horrible this year. They still can't figure out QB and just lost their RB for the year.

MSU is definitely overrated as well. They always have great talent and Dantonio underachieves. Last year had the benefit of a good schedule and was a fluke.

Georgia, Florida State and Missouri are also all overrated IMO.

I think Iowa will turn out to be underrated but that's just a fan talking...a fan who's been following the team.

The ratings this time of year has little meaning. To answer the question I think 50 percent of the ranked teams are overrated. At the end of the season look for five of the top ten teams to be out of the the top ten. Maybe two or three out of the rankings altogether. Also look for one or two teams now unranked to be in he top ten.

PSU is overrated by even being ranked (in the coaches)... I think they are going to be horrible this year. They still can't figure out QB and just lost their RB for the year.

MSU is definitely overrated as well. They always have great talent and Dantonio underachieves. Last year had the benefit of a good schedule and was a fluke.

Georgia, Florida State and Missouri are also all overrated IMO.

+1 Their lines are not elite, so you'll see teams with good run offenses/defenses expose them.

I think there are two ways to evaluate rankings:

1. Sheer talent. Which 25 teams have the best talent.

2. Schedule....ultimately,where teams end up at the end of the regular season is greatly determined by their schedules. Boise is a good pick to finish in the top ten due to schedule. If they get by Georgia, they are on their way.

Take ND...they might have top 20 talent this year,but they could lose to S. Florida,Michigan,MSU,Stanford ect.

Auburn is in the top 25,but probably win 6 games tops,due to schedule. They have talent,as Chizik is a great recruiter,but with Bama,SC,ect on their schedule...they will lose a bunch.

This is why,imo, Iowa is underrated,which is fine by me. Our schedule gives Iowa a chance to win 9 or 10 games, even with about the fewest returning starters in any BCS conference team. MSU and Neb have talent,and experience,but their schedules are tougher than Iowa,so we can win the Legends,with a little less talent.

Clearly, early season polls are based completely on talent returning,with schedules a non-factor,so I certainly give them no concern. By the end of October,the Hawks could be 7-1 and ranked in the top 12....with a loss to PSU only. And that will be fine with me.

Couldn't disagree with you more with Texas being underrated. There is no way that a 7 loss team from the year before, regardless of who it is or how much talent they possess, belongs in the top 25 (26th in this case). IMO, they are completely going into the season riding the coat-tails of previous Texas teams and are greatly over-rated.

I agree with you on Michigan State being over-rated as well, because unlike last season their conference schedule has a pulse this year and they don't have the luxury of dodging the top teams in the conference this year.

That said I also think Nebraska is over-rated based on their schedule. Not saying that they don't have the talent, but with the unknowns they do have and that schedule I don't honestly think there is a chance they end up that high in the polls at the end of the season.

I also feel that like most years Notre Dame is incredibly overrated. I keep hearing people talk about how this year they've got the talent to make an impressive run, however I've heard that about them so many times in the past that I don't believe any of it. Until they can put up wins worthy of their ranking consistently I will continue to think that they are way over-rated.

I may be one of the few that actually feels that Wisconsin is underrated and although they lost a good chunk of their oline I still think this team has the makings of a potential national championship contender.

Latest posts