Our thoughts on Petras' game

uihawk82

He was 18 for 28 for 64% and had to throw a couple away so his % was much better. He made the one bad decision that could easily have been picked but he had zero INTs. So his accuracy looked better and he didnt seem to flush out of the pocket so quickly but the OLine may have gave him some of his best protection, I dont know.

His accuracy looked better because it seemed he was putting the ball in the right place, the right side of the receiver more than that past and he showed more touch and less speed on some short passes and one screen pass iirc.

He had time but just missed the one bomb to ISM but there weren't many big chunk plays made in the passing game with longer passes. But hard to see on TV whether B Ferentz even called many deep routes.

And I am not sure who was the primary receiver but most of you remember the somewhat late in the game 3rd and 12 play where Petras threw to Ragaini I think about 3-4 yards past the LOS. If that was the primary receiver then shame on Brian for not giving the hawks a chance. If that was not the primary receiver then I think Petras threw too early without looking downfield because I dont think he was under pressure. Maybe Petras was under a no turnover edict.

Like you said...one really, really awful decision that makes you wonder what he's seeing...it was also really clear, that Ragaini was where he was going no matter what he saw...which is still something he has to work on and get better at moving through a progression. The fumble should also be attributed to him as it appeared he either wasn't ready for it or started backing out too soon. It was tough to tell.

That being said...this was easily his best game to date. He looked solid, stood in the pocket, and for the most part delivered the ball accurately. You are correct...he threw, I think, four balls away yesterday on purpose...so those numbers look much, much better...if you say it was 18-24 or 18-25.

The most important aspect of his game. He's made improvements every week. The other thing, and I know it's not the same without fans, but he's played well two straight on the road. I wouldn't call him a weapon yet, but you can definitely see a point in time, when he gets more experience, where his arm could be a huge weapon for Iowa. I'm surprised we don't throw more deep outs where the receiver gets the corner to think its a deep ball and gets the DB to turn his hips, then breaks it out to the sideline. Petras can throw that ball really well and it's gets there fast.

Last edited:
Like you said...one really, really awful decision that makes you wonder what he's seeing...it was also really clear, that Ragaini was where he was going no matter what he saw...which is still something he has to work on and get better at moving through a progression. The fumble should also be attributed to him as it appeared he either wasn't ready for it or started backing out too soon. It was tough to tell.

That being said...this was easily his best game to date. He looked solid, stood in the pocket, and for the most part delivered the ball accurately. You are correct...he threw, I think, four balls away yesterday on purpose...so those numbers look much, much better...if you say it was 18-24 or 18-25.

The most important aspect of his game. He's made improvements every week. The other thing, and I know it's not the same without fans, but he's played well two straight on the road. I wouldn't call him a weapon yet, but you can definitely see a point in time, when he gets more experience, where his arm could be a huge weapon for Iowa. I'm surprised we don't throw more deep outs where the receiver gets the corner to think it a deep ball and get the DB to turn, then breaks it out to the sideline. Petras can throw that ball really well and it's gets there fast.

Very good analysis. I am still not sure on that late 3rd and 12 if Ragaini was primary by play design and Petras told not to force it or if Petras just looked his way.

Petras definitely had a bad 2nd half against jNW but against Purdue he was really getting pressured in the 2nd half and a lot of the sputtering offense was not running the ball. Those are his really two bad or rough halves of football this year.

Asterisk season and one in which the hawks are really close to 5-0 with a new qb. The defense is playing much better too which puts the hawks in better offensive field position.

The miss to Ragaini at the goal line. He rushed it. That was the same play he converted to ISM for a TD at Minnesota. Didn't make the play this time.

Latest posts