Our hated rival Purdue....

PJHawk

is embarrassing themselves. Our Maccabean Mauler should have a big day against their D:

"....The Boilermakers have been outscored 82-27 in their first two Big Ten games, both at home. A defensive front that was supposed to be the strength of the team got manhandled by Michigan and Wisconsin to the tune of 771 combined rushing yards."

This game becomes a lot more winnable which is good because from what I have seen from Indiana that game is looking more and more losable...

This game becomes a lot more winnable which is good because from what I have seen from Indiana that game is looking more and more losable...

It is weird that I am beginning to worry more about Indiana than I am Penn State this weekend. Never thought that would be the case.

is embarrassing themselves. Our Maccabean Mauler should have a big day against their D:

"....The Boilermakers have been outscored 82-27 in their first two Big Ten games, both at home. A defensive front that was supposed to be the strength of the team got manhandled by Michigan and Wisconsin to the tune of 771 combined rushing yards."

And of course they'll probably get it back together before they play Iowa.

Indiana seems to be playing up or down to the level of competition. Although they have been playing well, I'm going to worry about a win against PSU first.

That's just dumb. You're implying that Purdue looked scary just a little while ago. We beat them last year with a defense that wasn't as good as the one we will field this year.....and we have a run game that is as good or better. Purdue is still playing musical QBs and that have to come to Kinnick.

Then you're worried about Indiana? Why? Because they played MSU and OSU tough? They had a good QUARTER against MSU. After that the Spartans pretty much shut them down. As far as OSU, you do realize they are giving up 400 yards a game, right? They gave up 312 to Miami of OH, 352 to UCF, 512 to Cal, 403 to UAB, 303 to MSU, 437 to Nebraska and 481 to Indiana. Nebraska was the only team that it wasn't surprising to see that happen. Most of those schools OSU traditionally holds to under 300 yards, but this year they are not playing like past OSU teams. It shouldn't be a shocker that Indiana hung with them in a scorefest THIS year.

I wouldn't want to look past Indiana because they are playing better than in past years, but I am not expecting us to lose that game either.

That's just dumb. You're implying that Purdue looked scary just a little while ago. We beat them last year with a defense that wasn't as good as the one we will field this year.....and we have a run game that is as good or better. Purdue is still playing musical QBs and that have to come to Kinnick.

Then you're worried about Indiana? Why? Because they played MSU and OSU tough? They had a good QUARTER against MSU. After that the Spartans pretty much shut them down. As far as OSU, you do realize they are giving up 400 yards a game, right? They gave up 312 to Miami of OH, 352 to UCF, 512 to Cal, 403 to UAB, 303 to MSU, 437 to Nebraska and 481 to Indiana. Nebraska was the only team that it wasn't surprising to see that happen. Most of those schools OSU traditionally holds to under 300 yards, but this year they are not playing like past OSU teams. It shouldn't be a shocker that Indiana hung with them in a scorefest THIS year.

I wouldn't want to look past Indiana because they are playing better than in past years, but I am not expecting us to lose that game either.

Correct and Kirk always beats the teams that hes supposed to.

Ohio State took a 52-34 lead with less than 8 minutes left in that game and forced Indiana to punt on their ensuing drive. Kudos to Indiana for scoring a couple of touchdowns with under two minutes left (one enabled by recovering an onside kick), but that game was nowhere near as close at the final score indicated.

Before calling something dumb why not ask the reasoning first before you spout off? I'll give you my reasoning. Purdue was actually looking better in the non-con. They played Notre Dame fairly close. You might have heard of them, they're a top 5 BCS team right now. Early on, we looked like crap, we got beat at home to CMU. So after the first four games, the Purdue game looked dangerous on our schedule. Purdue however hasn't done themselves any favors the last two games, and Iowa's defense has kicked it into overdrive. So yes, the Purdue game doesn't worry me as much.

Indiana however is showing that they can put points on the board. They put up 27 against MSU who has a defense built pretty similar to our own. Iowa has always had problems with fast tempo, dink and dunk teams, and Indy has speed to boot. Is OSU's defense that good, I'm sure it's not horrible. Yet Indy put up nearly 50 on them. Maybe you haven't noticed, but our offense hasn't really been hitting on on cylinders lately, or all season for that matter. We are not geared for a shootout type game. So yes, what I have seen from Indiana lately worries me some. If you disagree, so be it. But don't call me dumb because I have an opinion differing from your own.

Is there anything you aren't snarky about? He beats them often enough that I won't lose sleep worrying about that game.

Yeah losing to a couple crappy teams every year isnt too bad. Also I would hope you dont lose any sleep over football.

Often enough = loser talk.

Before calling something dumb why not ask the reasoning first before you spout off? I'll give you my reasoning. Purdue was actually looking better in the non-con. They played Notre Dame fairly close. You might have heard of them, they're a top 5 BCS team right now. Early on, we looked like crap, we got beat at home to CMU. So after the first four games, the Purdue game looked dangerous on our schedule. Purdue however hasn't done themselves any favors the last two games, and Iowa's defense has kicked it into overdrive. So yes, the Purdue game doesn't worry me as much.

I didn't need to ask the reason. I knew you were thinking that way because of the non-con schedule, but that doesn't mean much. Great, so they played ND close. When the season is over and they are 4-8, they can still be proud that they hung with ND. I was never sold on either of Purdue's QBs, so expecting them to lead Purdue to a victory late in November is not something I fear.

Indiana however is showing that they can put points on the board. They put up 27 against MSU who has a defense built pretty similar to our own. Iowa has always had problems with fast tempo, dink and dunk teams, and Indy has speed to boot. Is OSU's defense that good, I'm sure it's not horrible. Yet Indy put up nearly 50 on them. Maybe you haven't noticed, but our offense hasn't really been hitting on on cylinders lately, or all season for that matter. We are not geared for a shootout type game. So yes, what I have seen from Indiana lately worries me some. If you disagree, so be it. But don't call me dumb because I have an opinion differing from your own.

Like I said, they had a good QUARTER against MSU. After that it was downhill for them. It's a 60 minute game and that is why MSU won. How can you ask about OSU's defense after I just told you how bad it is? It is 69th in the country. To put it in perspective, those defensive powerhouses at Northwestern (54th), Illinois (52nd), Missouri (42nd), Ole Miss (41st) and Washington (41st) are all ranked higher. If this is a down year for the Big 10 (and it is) OSU should be dominating defensively.

Iowa has also had success against fast tempo teams (see their 5-3 record vs Purdue under Joe Tiller and the win over Missouri in the Insight bowl). It's always tough playing bend-don't-break vs the spread, but before you get cute about me not noticing how our offense hasn't hit on all cylinders lately, keep in mind that Indiana still allows 221 yards a game on the ground. Our offense right now is built to have a big day against Indiana by dominating TOP and keeping their offense OFF the field. Sorry that you didn't like that comment being called dumb, but your argument in no way took into account our run game vs their defense.

I didn't need to ask the reason. I knew you were thinking that way because of the non-con schedule, but that doesn't mean much. Great, so they played ND close. When the season is over and they are 4-8, they can still be proud that they hung with ND. I was never sold on either of Purdue's QBs, so expecting them to lead Purdue to a victory late in November is not something I fear.

Like I said, they had a good QUARTER against MSU. After that it was downhill for them. It's a 60 minute game and that is why MSU won. How can you ask about OSU's defense after I just told you how bad it is? It is 69th in the country. To put it in perspective, those defensive powerhouses at Northwestern (54th), Illinois (52nd), Missouri (42nd), Ole Miss (41st) and Washington (41st) are all ranked higher. If this is a down year for the Big 10 (and it is) OSU should be dominating defensively.

Iowa has also had success against fast tempo teams (see their 5-3 record vs Purdue under Joe Tiller and the win over Missouri in the Insight bowl). It's always tough playing bend-don't-break vs the spread, but before you get cute about me not noticing how our offense hasn't hit on all cylinders lately, keep in mind that Indiana still allows 221 yards a game on the ground. Our offense right now is built to have a big day against Indiana by dominating TOP and keeping their offense OFF the field. Sorry that you didn't like that comment being called dumb, but your argument in no way took into account our run game vs their defense.

Either way I am less worried about a home game against Purdue than I am an away game at Indy. Agree or disagree, that's your choice. That's how I feel.

Either way I am less worried about a home game against Purdue than I am an away game at Indy. Agree or disagree, that's your choice. That's how I feel.

Look.....I shouldn't have gotten chippy with you, but having read many of your posts, you seem to be pessimistic about Iowa in general and I don't have a lot of patience for that. I think we could win ever game left on our schedule. We probably won't, but I don't worry more than a week at a time anymore. The 2008 season taught me that. I could go on at length about my frustration with some aspects of both the offense and defense over the years and even specific players, but I don't see that as a way to stay positive. There's a player I am thinking of right now that I felt had no business seeing the field and he has made a couple of BIG plays the past couple of weeks, so I would rather look at that as a sign that he is getting better rather than just lucky.

As far as Indiana, there's nothing wrong with RESPECTING their offense, but you need to stay positive and realize our style of plays is a good way to counter that. I would be MUCH more worried if Tre Roberson were healthy.

Look.....I shouldn't have gotten chippy with you, but having read many of your posts, you seem to be pessimistic about Iowa in general and I don't have a lot of patience for that. I think we could win ever game left on our schedule. We probably won't, but I don't worry more than a week at a time anymore. The 2008 season taught me that. I could go on at length about my frustration with some aspects of both the offense and defense over the years and even specific players, but I don't see that as a way to stay positive. There's a player I am thinking of right now that I felt had no business seeing the field and he has made a couple of BIG plays the past couple of weeks, so I would rather look at that as a sign that he is getting better rather than just lucky.

As far as Indiana, there's nothing wrong with RESPECTING their offense, but you need to stay positive and realize our style of plays is a good way to counter that. I would be MUCH more worried if Tre Roberson were healthy.

It's all good. My pessimism/optimism really wavers week to week but I tend to go hardcore both directions no matter which side I am on. Personally, I feel real good about this coming week for example. As for Indy, I really hate teams like them, and NW for that matter. Yes, we have beaten Indy four years running now, but outside of the 2008 massacre the last three have been hard fought games, especially the 2010 game where we should have lost. Now, I know Indy doesn't have the same coach as before but the still seem to run that problematic offense that just scares the pizz out of me. And in a year when we are still sputtering on O that's what worries me more. You are correct though, Indy can get thrashed on the ground, and as long as we have Weisman we should be able to gather yards in big chunks all day long against them.

It's all good. My pessimism/optimism really wavers week to week but I tend to go hardcore both directions no matter which side I am on. Personally, I feel real good about this coming week for example. As for Indy, I really hate teams like them, and NW for that matter. Yes, we have beaten Indy four years running now, but outside of the 2008 massacre the last three have been hard fought games, especially the 2010 game where we should have lost. Now, I know Indy doesn't have the same coach as before but the still seem to run that problematic offense that just scares the pizz out of me. And in a year when we are still sputtering on O that's what worries me more. You are correct though, Indy can get thrashed on the ground, and as long as we have Weisman we should be able to gather yards in big chunks all day long against them.

Good. My optimism has only wavered once and that was after that 3 game slide in 2008. I said I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game after that. I felt like KOK was really holding that offense back. By the time we played Penn State, I was back to being positive we would beat them.

The other thing about Indiana is that it will be the beginning of November and the weather may take some of the starch out of their passing game. That and the fact that Phil likes to take a few more risks than Norm did. Some of our problems with spread teams have stemmed from the fact that in a bend-don't-break, you have to get consistent pressure from the front four and Iowa has only had (IMO) an above average D line twice since 2004.