Our coaching staff deserves a lot of credit....

MikeyLikesIowa

I first saw this comparison when I watched BTN's replay of the Iowa vs Minnesota game and thought it was a real eye-opener. Marc Morehouse from the Cedar Rapids Gazette wrote a nice article about it which I have linked below.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-for-the-hawkeyes-the-next-few-weeks-20151116

AR-151119678.jpg&MaxH=1400&MaxW=1596

Great post. Unfortunately, some of the talking heads actually use this against us. But, their only agenda is to get attention.

Holy cow, look at Alabama's numbers! They deserve to be ranked number 1 right now with recruiting classes like that.

The coaches and players have to have put in a ton of work. KF said he was putting a lot of time in on other things that he had to like fundraising but it shows that he is really focused now.

High points in 2002-4, 2008-9, and now 2015 (and from the start of 2013 to the 7-2 mark of 2014 the hawks were 15-6). This is the third high point.

I first saw this comparison when I watched BTN's replay of the Iowa vs Minnesota game and thought it was a real eye-opener. Marc Morehouse from the Cedar Rapids Gazette wrote a nice article about it which I have linked below.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-for-the-hawkeyes-the-next-few-weeks-20151116

AR-151119678.jpg&MaxH=1400&MaxW=1596

heck even teams like MN pull more 4 stars than the Hawks....and here we are at 10-0. I was real down on the staff after the hawkslayer and they made me eat black crow.

Phenomenal Development. And very little margin for error or attrition.

It's an impressive thing to see. That said, how much difference is there really between a lot of those 4.1-4.4 stars vs. The 3.6-3.9 stars. And how many of our 3.7 star kids would be "bumped" a few tenths if they chose one of those other schools.

Would agree with OP, our coaching staff does deserve a lot of credit, and have always done a great job of developing players.

Phenomenal Development. And very little margin for error or attrition.

It's an impressive thing to see. That said, how much difference is there really between a lot of those 4.1-4.4 stars vs. The 3.6-3.9 stars. And how many of our 3.7 star kids would be "bumped" a few tenths if they chose one of those other schools.

There is your conundrum.

Who does the rating? On what do they base ratings?

Too subjective. I hate the term "eye test", but a lot of 2-star guys pass it with flying colors...

A whole bunch of Iowa's 3 star recruits would have been classified as 4 stars if they'd gone to Ohio State or Alabama. The rating process is mostly about reputation.

Coaching staff does deserve a lot of credit. As does Beathard. At least I assume it's Beathard that is providing the leadership. It could be someone else or a combination.

A whole bunch of Iowa's 3 star recruits would have been classified as 4 stars if they'd gone to Ohio State or Alabama. The rating process is mostly about reputation.

This is true. If national high school champion Rudock had signed with Michigan outa high school he woulda been a 4 star.

It reminds me of a deleted scene from Planet of the Apes. Taylor is talking to Zeus about a doll unearthed at an anthropological dig.

T: "The glasses, the heart valve, the talking doll. These things prove that humans were here before you. And they were better than you."

Z: "The scientists on my staff would laugh at your conclusions."

[deleted vvvv scene]

T: "I'm sure that's why you put 'em on your staff."

of course we all know Willies was under-rated:mad:

Holy cow, look at Alabama's numbers! They deserve to be ranked number 1 right now with recruiting classes like that.

I know, right? I mean, with that kind of talent we should just punch their ticket as national champs right now and not even worry about playing the game.

Certainly deserve a ton of credit for development. Probably deserve a little criticism for recruiting (even considering inherent obstacles of recruiting to Iowa). But ultimately it is the bottom line that matters. The cat can be skinned with diamonds-in-the-rough and excellent development, or by recruiting tremendous talent. It can be skinned with perfect execution or creative game-planning. But ultimately the cat must be skinned, and the staff and team have skinned them all this year.

That said, there is also something satisfying about doing more with less. It is fun to think of the program as the overachieving underdog; most of us can relate much better to that scenario than that of the talent-laden monster sitting on top of the mountain.

It's not just about reputation, either. It's about offer sheets. So just being offered by OSU or Alabama or Michigan tends to increase the rating. So when Iowa wraps up bunches of OL and DL commits before other schools even talk to them, they get fewer offers from other schools, artificially deflating their star rating.

WTF? Did KJ Sails see that stat and realize that Iowa is no place for a 4 star? Why would he possibly decommit so soon after committing?

This. These ratings places can't possibly see all these kids. Outside the top 100 its largely about who they get offers / interest form.

This. These ratings places can't possibly see all these kids. Outside the top 100 its largely about who they get offers / interest form.

Or if they come and camp at their camps. Then they rank those kids higher. The ones who skip their camps, and go to places like Iowa, and Minnesota, and Wisconsin to camp don't get ranked as highly.

That is the thing, if these kids are getting offers off their Jr. tapes AND have been to camp at Iowa, I have always been fully confident that the staff knows what they are doing a hellz of a lot more than Rivals or Scout, etc evaluating kids at a camp. I was saying this after the down years as well, I was saying it all through the summer as we were getting kids that we evaluated, watched at camp and offered. This staff has always been very solid in recognizing talent and then also developing it.

The other thing I have always liked about Iowa is when they evaluate a kid, they could give two rips less if rivals had them as a 2* and they only have offers from MAC schools. If the like what they see, they trust it, and go after the kid.

Latest posts