Ott's chances

I think the other equitable issue for Ott is that he potentially will miss an entire year of football. He won't be ready for the NFL combine, and even though he might get signed as a free agent, I don't see him being fully ready for the NFL next summer, so the chances of him sticking with a team in 2016 is probably not great. Thus, he'd be without organized football for a whole year. With that elbow injury he had in the ISU game, he should be given credit for toughing out the Pitt game, not having it cost him. Again, applying the quarters he was "healthy" enough to play in, he qualifies. Application of the 30% rule to quarters played should be instituted. He should be given the medical redshirt. Objectively speaking, of course.

I agree with all of the sentiments including yours and hope Ott is back. His injury was the saddest part by far of this great season as he has been such a key contributor to our program and missed out on playing in the championship game and Rose Bowl. I feel very bad for him.

Having said this what's the point of having rules if they mean nothing? How far across the line as established by the rule for a reason is acceptable? If we go quarters is that really ideal? Quarters might benefit players from great teams like the OSU's of the world who blow teams out early and play the subs most of a second half as one example. In these situations a player might play a major role in 6-7 games then get injured and qualify at 30%. It's remote but statistically possible.

He's our guy and we want him back but rules are there for a purpose.

I agree with all of the sentiments including yours and hope Ott is back. His injury was the saddest part by far of this great season as he has been such a key contributor to our program and missed out on playing in the championship game and Rose Bowl. I feel very bad for him.

Having said this what's the point of having rules if they mean nothing? How far across the line as established by the rule for a reason is acceptable? If we go quarters is that really ideal? Quarters might benefit players from great teams like the OSU's of the world who blow teams out early and play the subs most of a second half as one example. In these situations a player might play a major role in 6-7 games then get injured and qualify at 30%. It's remote but statistically possible.

He's our guy and we want him back but rules are there for a purpose.
None of these rules are locked in stone. I'm sure exceptions have been made for other players at other schools already. It won't break my heart if they make a minor exception here...

It took an entire page, but we had to know at some point someone would figure out a way to blame Ferentz for this.

I'm one of the few on this board who didn't want the man run out of town last year. But it was flat out a bad move with Ott back in 2012. Same with Smith. Same with AJ Edds in 2006. J Smith this year is another example. No point in burning a redshirt unless somebody is going to play a lot.

No idea how this will turn out, but the kid has played barely 3 years worth of football(maybe less
If you count quarters).

I'm not sure on all the specifics on the rules/guidlines, but logic would seem to be in Otts favor. At the very least, if it isn't black and white, he seems to have a very strong case.

Would absolutely love to see it but it's not going to happen. The people making this decision aren't sympathetic Hawkeye fans and they have to be fair to everyone. Unfortunately for Ott, rules are rules. The biggest problem is if they let Ott come back where do you draw the line?

What if there were a kid somewhere in the same situation who played say one more quarter than Ott. Do you let him come back? I'd be ****** if someone else got a redshirt and I didn't in that situation. Turn the tables and it's worse. What if Nebraska had an all American running back that was putting up Heisman numbers and the B10 let him come back after playing 30%. Iowa fans would be marching in the streets calling for his head.

As much as I hate it you have to have to look at these things objectively and by the rules in order to be fair. Unfortunately for Ott he fell outside the criteria.

To be clear, I hope I'm wrong and would love it if we got another season for his sake and the Hawkeyes'. I just don't think it's going to happen.

How is this any different than any other numerical limit? If the cutoff were 4 games, what about the kid who played in 5?

I used to remind my management team members that they don't get the big bucks to apply a series of rules; they get the big bucks to make intelligent exceptions to the rules and then stand tall. NCAA might want to think about Ott's situation in that manner.

Toledo QB Phillip Ely was recently denied his request for a 6th year, and about a month ago Syracuse QB Terrell Hunt was also denied... as was Notre Dame safety Jamoris Slaughter.

Each case is unique, but if this is any indication of the NCAA's current posture... Drew's chances aren't good.

Toledo QB Phillip Ely was recently denied his request for a 6th year, and about a month ago Syracuse QB Terrell Hunt was also denied... as was Notre Dame safety Jamoris Slaughter.

Each case is unique, but if this is any indication of the NCAA's current posture... Drew's chances aren't good.

These are cases of players requesting 6th year. Ott did not redshirt. He basically only played 2.5 years of college football. I believe this is what makes his case a special circumstance.

Regarding players from teams that blow out opponents and play less quarters. The medical redshirt rule applies to time missed from injury. Documentation is required that the player could no longer play if time is missed after a season has started.

You could argue some players "wasted" a year of eligibility and Ott very well may be one of those playing in game 8 of a lost season. One player that most certainly did NOT waste a year playing as a true freshman is Jerminic Smith. He impacted many a game with his speed. Iowa may not win the Illinois game without him. He had a huge first half and helped stretch the field in the second half. That most certainly helped JC run all over them.

Very different situations:

ELY: they tried to retroactively argue, 4 years later, that his freshman-year redshirt should really have been a medical redshirt and thus not count against him. And it's a 6th-year appeal, unlike Ott. http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/589954

HUNT: 6th-year appeal. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...t_continuing_appeal_for_6th_year_of_elig.html

SLAUGHTER: 6th-year appeal, and it was 2 years ago. http://espn.go.com/college-football...sh-safety-jamoris-slaughter-denied-sixth-year

The pathetic NCAA Will rule against drew ott, because on topics like this they never allow gray area. However of course they give someone slimy like Roy Williams and the UNC basketball program a wrist slap for players taking fake classes. They even let them keep their national championship. Of course they can't give the benefit of the doubt to a hard working kid just trying to get a shot. Ott has never been in trouble, and has a good academic record.

This is just further proof the NCAA is just another shady organization, more interested in protecting the powers that be. Them dealing out discipline is laughable!

The pathetic NCAA Will rule against drew ott, because on topics like this they never allow gray area. However of course they give someone slimy like Roy Williams and the UNC basketball program a wrist slap for players taking fake classes. They even let them keep their national championship. Of course they can't give the benefit of the doubt to a hard working kid just trying to get a shot. Ott has never been in trouble, and has a good academic record.

This is just further proof the NCAA is just another shady organization, more interested in protecting the powers that be. Them dealing out discipline is laughable!

Obviously, you don't know the decision making process. The B1G makes the initial decision. If the B1G's decision is against Ott; then, he may appeal the decision to the NCAA. Usually, the NCAA just rubber stamps the B1G's decision. Your ranting & raving just illustrates your ignorance about the situation.

Please note the underlined text, Gentlemen.

I hope Ott's situation is different enough, that he's granted a sixth year. It may be. Clearly it will need to be, based on the trends so far.

Latest posts