Other teams are predictable too.

Cover3

Small sample size, but Wisconsin ran the EXACT same 2-point play down 36-34 in this game as they ran at the end of the Rose Bowl last year: shotgun trips right and a short curl/slant to one of the right slot WRs.

Same result. Batted down and it fails. Not saying it makes Iowa's game management any more forgivable, but ALL coaches fall into playcalling ruts. Stop complaining about Ferentz's salary.

Small sample size, but Wisconsin ran the EXACT same 2-point play down 36-34 in this game as they ran at the end of the Rose Bowl last year: shotgun trips right and a short curl/slant to one of the right slot WRs.

Same result. Batted down and it fails. Not saying it makes Iowa's game management any more forgivable, but ALL coaches fall into playcalling ruts. Stop complaining about Ferentz's salary.

Everyone's predictable Cover and I mean everyone. The complaints about our scheme or play calling or playing to win is a microcosms of people needing it to be something they can identify. Unfortunately is a great deal more convoluted than that.

Chad

Yep, Chad. I was even going to mention that you've been saying pretty much the same thing, but I was also trying to not ramble, haha.

Being predictable HELPS us, and heres why. When you run the same schemes(sp), it allows you to plug guys in and play "next man in" more easy. If your designing schemes depending on who is your man, and that guy goes down, if the next man is NOT the same type of player #1 you have to redesign.
That said, I wish we mixed it up alittle bit more at times. maybe a 90/10 split. I know we do have special plays at times for certian guys, but wish we did it alittle more. My guess is its 95/5 right now, just bimp it to 90/10 or 85/15. I think it also allows you to focus more on fundamental football, buy not spending so much time on special plays and more time on fundamentals....just my 2 cents....

Yep, everyone is predicatable to an extent. All teams get upset by lesser teams, all teams have down seasons, etc. We are not immune to that by any means...

Are we seriously trying to compare a team that is playing in back-to-back Rose Bowls with a RB that broke nearly every record possible for TD runs with the predictability we see every Saturday and lose rivalry games like it is going out of style?

You said it best: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!

Latest posts