OT: RIP Caleb Swanigan

I was surprised he didn't make it in the NBA. He seemed like a sure bet at power forward. He was so tough that last year at Purdue.

Sounds like he got down when he wasn't quite cutting it in the NBA and let himself go... he struggled with his weight he had to really really work at it to stay in shape. Rumors were dude got north of 400 lbs in less than 2 yrs out of the league. That's just a tough tough thing to hear. Our bodies aren't supposed to change that much that drastically. It just puts a strain on all our organs. I hate to hear it. He seemed like such a beloved guy in Purdues program and someone they all looked up to and was proud of. Wish he coulda gotten some help....

Sounds like he got down when he wasn't quite cutting it in the NBA and let himself go... he struggled with his weight he had to really really work at it to stay in shape. Rumors were dude got north of 400 lbs in less than 2 yrs out of the league. That's just a tough tough thing to hear. Our bodies aren't supposed to change that much that drastically. It just puts a strain on all our organs. I hate to hear it. He seemed like such a beloved guy in Purdues program and someone they all looked up to and was proud of. Wish he coulda gotten some help....

Mods, please delete if this delves into something for the OT board, but the change in the media pushing this fat acceptance movement crap is one of the worst developments I've seen over the past decade. Being morbidly obese is deadly. It will shave years off of life.

I have a buddy who played wideout for a P5 team back in the '90's. He's mid 40's. The guy weighed 265+ and he's a guy with a naturally big frame, but he had really blown up during The Germ. A few months ago I hounded him to start coming to the gym with me every morning (I have a membership where I can bring a guest for free). He said he hadn't lifted in over a decade and his strength was bad when he started, like struggling to put up 135 on the bench bad. On Monday he put up 285 and the smile when he stood up was better than if he had hit a hole in one in golf. His waistline is down several inches and his upper body is starting to look proper, not saggy. He's down about 10 pounds (goal is for him to be down 20 by his birthday in September) but he has probably shed close to 30 pounds of fat and put on some serious muscle.

If you care about someone and you see them going the route of Swanigan, be the dude who steps in. Be the reason for them to go to the gym. Use peer pressure to help them. We cannot let weighing 300 or 400 pounds become normalized because the only thing that behavior is healthy for is boosting the profit margins of companies like PepsiCo or McDonald's, who coincidentally happen to be big advertisers of the very same media sources that push the fat acceptance movement.

And if you personally have gotten huge, join the gym and get a good mix of cardio and weight training. Look into intermittent fasting or a lower carb (not 0) diet. The best time to start working out was decades ago, the second best time is today.

Great Post Okeefe4Prez. That is why I'm apart of this forum to see comments and post like this. I commend you for getting your friend in the gym.