OT: How to lose a ballgame

Robowe

So, the stuffed animal was a bulldog, and both teams have the mascot of the bulldog. So, was this brilliant by a Mississippi State fan or just a Georgia fan with bad timing?

So, the stuffed animal was a bulldog, and both teams have the mascot of the bulldog. So, was this brilliant by a Mississippi State fan or just a Georgia fan with bad timing?

I don’t like fouls being able to be called on a crowd. The players/coaches have nothing to do with it, and who knows what side’s fan threw it.

Like at the NW game a couple years ago when people were throwing bottles on the field and they threatened a penalty over the PA. I get the sentiment, but the teams have nothing to do with it.

I actually like fouls being called on a crowd. You want your team to win...don't do stupid things that hurt the team you root for. It's that simple. I thought fans liked being a part of the game? Take the good with the bad.

Crazy deal. The refs had to make the concious decision to give a team the game because of it. If I was the fan I would leak it on social media that I was a fan of Mississippi State and stole a win for my team. Just to eff with the officials.

The weird thing is officials don't want to decide games to the point where they don't call blatant fouls, but they are willing to call something on a fan that decides it. I wish iowa had those refs that had the stones to decide the game. We would have had Bohannon at the line shooting 3 free throws.

I actually like fouls being called on a crowd. You want your team to win...don't do stupid things that hurt the team you root for. It's that simple. I thought fans liked being a part of the game? Take the good with the bad.
No it's not that simple. What if it was a Mississippi State fan that threw it?

No it's not that simple. What if it was a Mississippi State fan that threw it?
I agree with ya. I see why they do it. They try to have that be a deterant from it even happening. But once it does how in the hell is it fair to any of the kids/coaches? Games are won/lost by them not fans. It's bad enough that refs have as much to do with the outcomes of games that they do. Find a way to punish individual fans caught doing it. Beyond that...

While playing for the fighting sioux at our hated rival North Dakota State, i was hit in the knee near half court by a half full can of beer. No foul was called, no fan was ejected. We got the ball out of bounds and play went on.

So what if we're playing Iowa State at home and the Cyclone fans throw stuff on the field....the Hawks should be penalized for that?
Exactly. The university should pay a couple fans to travel to every road game, and, if it’s close, chuck a stuffed animal on the court. Brilliant!

I don’t like fouls being able to be called on a crowd. The players/coaches have nothing to do with it, and who knows what side’s fan threw it.

Like at the NW game a couple years ago when people were throwing bottles on the field and they threatened a penalty over the PA. I get the sentiment, but the teams have nothing to do with it.

I think maybe a warning would have been warranted in this example as players were not running down the court. but stupid to throw stuff on the playing area or the teams

But overall I think a technical is warranted on the crowd and kicking out the fan because they are altering the game, it is dangerous, and you want to stop stupid behavior like this. If you are a fan and dont like something then just boo and gesticulate with your body etc.

I think maybe a warning would have been warranted in this example as players were not running down the court. but stupid to throw stuff on the playing area or the teams

But overall I think a technical is warranted on the crowd and kicking out the fan because they are altering the game, it is dangerous, and you want to stop stupid behavior like this. If you are a fan and dont like something then just boo and gesticulate with your body etc.

If you want to stop them from doing it, arrest them. Giving the home team a technical has less affect on someone than legal action does.

But again...

How do you know if it’s a fan of the home team?

Let’s say a drunk MSU fan threw a Hawkeye stuffed animal on the court. Would you be ok with the Hawks getting a technical? Obviously kick the guy out and arrest him, but a foul on the team that had nothing to do with it?

That’s ludicrous.

Didn't Iowa get penalized for crowd noise in the metrodome back in the eighties? (as the visiting team)
That's what I was referring to. After posting it and thinking about it, I can't remember if there was an actual penalty or if they just had to stop the play to ask our crowd to quiet down.

But again...

How do you know if it’s a fan of the home team?

Let’s say a drunk MSU fan threw a Hawkeye stuffed animal on the court. Would you be ok with the Hawks getting a technical? Obviously kick the guy out and arrest him, but a foul on the team that had nothing to do with it?

That’s ludicrous.
The rule is the the home team is responsible for the crowd . If a Mississippi ST fan threw the object Georgia still gets the technical. Therefore the ref doesn’t have to determine who threw it. It’s an unfair rule.

Latest posts