OSU VS IOWA score update

IMO, it is deeper than Ohio State having a bigger “payroll”.

1) If they had beat Iowa State we are looking at this game completely different.

2) They are trending in the wrong direction when they play ranked opponents. @#1DieHardHawk’s “Attitude” thread got me thinking and Scott Dochterman’s article in The Athletic took it a step further about the struggles against ranked opponents.

Losing to superior talent isn’t the problem for most of us that have realistic expectations for the Iowa football program. It is how they are losing that has us concerned.

IMO I think it says exactly what we saw last Saturday. A professional team beating a collegiate team. I get that as fans we should be pissed at the outcome, but at the end of the day we are 5 games into a new OC trying to revamp the worst offense in the country. I have no problem saying were not a title contender, and we got pounded by one of the best teams in the country that is a contender.

I may get absolutely hammered for this, and accused of not being a fan, but OSU is light years ahead of us and their prestige and deep pockets are going to continue to separate them from us regardless of whether we feel the games passed KF by or not. We can say NIL doesn't play that big a role, but look what our limited NIL funds have done for us. It bought us a few QBs and the majority of our defense back this season, and the majority of us aren't convinced we have a real QB on the roster capable of throwing the ball downfield. OSU and other truly elite programs no longer have a strangle hold on recruiting, but if OSU doesn't feel that they have a QB they're going to dip into their wallet and find someone a hell of a lot better then McNamara or Sullivan while they continue to bring in players like Jeremiah Smith who are potential all-american's the moment they step foot on campus.

I love this team, our staff, and that we "do it the right way". However, I'm not going to change my opinion of where we are a as a program after a game like OSU, because TBH I thought we hung around with them longer then I expected and was not at all surprised by the final score. I get the "trending in the wrong direction against ranked opponents" argument but when facing opponents that could financially gamble on our current starters simply to provide depth behind their starters, the "trend" doesn't really bother me, because it makes sense. NIL has changed the game and unless things change and we can start legitimately competing for these very same players I don't see it trending the other way.

IMO I think it says exactly what we saw last Saturday. A professional team beating a collegiate team. I get that as fans we should be pissed at the outcome, but at the end of the day we are 5 games into a new OC trying to revamp the worst offense in the country. I have no problem saying were not a title contender, and we got pounded by one of the best teams in the country that is a contender.

I may get absolutely hammered for this, and accused of not being a fan, but OSU is light years ahead of us and their prestige and deep pockets are going to continue to separate them from us regardless of whether we feel the games passed KF by or not. We can say NIL doesn't play that big a role, but look what our limited NIL funds have done for us. It bought us a few QBs and the majority of our defense back this season, and the majority of us aren't convinced we have a real QB on the roster capable of throwing the ball downfield. OSU and other truly elite programs no longer have a strangle hold on recruiting, but if OSU doesn't feel that they have a QB they're going to dip into their wallet and find someone a hell of a lot better then McNamara or Sullivan while they continue to bring in players like Jeremiah Smith who are potential all-american's the moment they step foot on campus.

I love this team, our staff, and that we "do it the right way". However, I'm not going to change my opinion of where we are a as a program after a game like OSU, because TBH I thought we hung around with them longer then I expected and was not at all surprised by the final score. I get the "trending in the wrong direction against ranked opponents" argument but when facing opponents that could financially gamble on our current starters simply to provide depth behind their starters, the "trend" doesn't really bother me, because it makes sense. NIL has changed the game and unless things change and we can start legitimately competing for these very same players I don't see it trending the other way.
Very good post. I totally agree

Watching the disparity of talent was disconcerting. NIL has seemingly widened the gap between the Haves, sorta Haves (us) and the really Have Nots. I have posted this before, but sports that do not provide at least some level of parity tend to become marginalized. Anyone check on MLB playoff ratings lately? Womens hoops was a non-factor before CC largely because the same 3-4 teams make it to the title game every year until CC came along and changed the narrative.

If CFB is going to be a professional league made up of highly paid students, then it must be run like a professional league with rules and an actual governing body. Its gonna happen, let's just get to it. Appoint a commissioner and get this going.

Why would you get hammered for being accurate and logical?
Because regrettably were all fans (short for fanatic) and there's the rhetoric that as fans there are those that are always going to be those that see this as bashing the program or those up in arms because I don't see KF being the root of the problem or calling for his head, after proving once again that "he continually can't win against ranked opponents", regardless of the fact that literally no one anticipated us to win. You know how the board is LOL.

Watching the disparity of talent was disconcerting. NIL has seemingly widened the gap between the Haves, sorta Haves (us) and the really Have Nots. I have posted this before, but sports that do not provide at least some level of parity tend to become marginalized. Anyone check on MLB playoff ratings lately? Womens hoops was a non-factor before CC largely because the same 3-4 teams make it to the title game every year until CC came along and changed the narrative.

If CFB is going to be a professional league made up of highly paid students, then it must be run like a professional league with rules and an actual governing body. Its gonna happen, let's just get to it. Appoint a commissioner and get this going.
I agree to a point, but at the end of the day there's always going to be have's and have nots because at the end of the day no matter what rules are put in place, it's ultimately the athletes choice where they want to play. I get the argument about parity and marginalization, but across the board I honestly don't think it exists in most leagues or sports for that matter.

MLB ratings are definitely on the climb and your absolutely right on that one, but is there really any difference in the power curb year in and out. The teams making the playoffs are generally ones that are there year in and year out and really not that surprising. I think based on ratings since the Fever were eliminated, shows that the WNBA is still a non-factor league but has found it's superstar of the future as viewers are tuning in to see her and don't necessarily care about the league itself.

I see where you're coming from that it will hurt the sport, but I think it'll be minimal based on the fact that College Football has always had it's elites and teams that absolutely had a strangle hold on the polls and rankings and it didn't hurt in the past. As most know I'm a soccer guy. I love European soccer and the Champions League is one of my favorite sporting events on a yearly basis. I view college football in a similar manner. Each conference is similar to each league represented in the Champions League. Most of those clubs have an absolute stranglehold on the leagues they represent as there is a huge gap between the haves and have nots, but I see that no different the balance of power among most football conferences. I see the Champions League itself in the same light as I see the College Football Playoffs where at the end of the day there's really only a handful of teams really contending for spots.

I think where you and I see things differently is I still love the sport despite the imbalance of power and that's not going to change. I think baseball's ratings are up because people are finding themselves interested in baseball and enjoying the game again for whatever reason. I think people aren't watching the WNBA, because there's simply no interest, albeit it's growing but do people really care about the WNBA at this point in time or do they really just want to watch CC? I just see very few professional sports leagues where there really is an even playing field and arguably every team is competing for a championship, I don't think that world exists and I've always seen college football fitting into that mold.

Latest posts