OSU-Michigan: Should Iowa Fans Care?

I care cause it's a big ten tradition and as far as that goes, I would like to see it continue to be the last game of the season. Looking at it as not a big ten fan, but solely as an IOwa fan, I feel like it could be good for us. Take a little spotlight off them and if IU/Nebby game is rivalry week, we could get a ton of the national spotlight. What I care most about it not being the end of the year, is Michigan could steal Nebby for the last game of the year from the Hawks.

Indiana vs Nebraska as a rivalry game? :)

Michigan is not significant anymore and with the pay day a conf championshiop game will bring outweighs the Mic/OSU game by far. I liketradiotn but no 2 teams shoud be above the others just because of tradition. Sometimes you have to move on. I think this is the time. You either stick them in the same div or you don't. Either way I am not for them playing every year for tradition.

Michigan is not significant anymore and with the pay day a conf championshiop game will bring outweighs the Mic/OSU game by far. I liketradiotn but no 2 teams shoud be above the others just because of tradition. Sometimes you have to move on. I think this is the time. You either stick them in the same div or you don't. Either way I am not for them playing every year for tradition.

There is a difference though with them not being significant. They might not be a the top anymore but fans still fill that HUGE stadium and they are a money makeing comodity. Its not like there ISU.

The final day of the regular season should be Rivalry Day in the Big Ten. I'd like for Michigan and OSU to stay in the same division and play each other on the last day of the season. It's a tradition I don't want discarded. I'd also like to see Iowa/Nebraska as a season finale.
+1

East-west Im sick and tired of hearing that neb,ia,ill,nw,mn, and wisc is too weak or lacks the tradition of mich,osu and psu. Last sat of the season should be every schools biggest rival, TV will determine this but can you imagine a sat with

psu-msu
osu-mich
indy-purdue
mn-whisky
ill-nw
and the grand finale hawks -neb

aurburn plays in the same division as alabama, ditto for texas and a&m, plus you know ucla and usc will be in the same division down the road

why is delaney and the btn against this?

They still will. In fact it may be bigger hype if the OSU Mich rivalry was given a break for a year... just saying tradition is nice but we now have a 12 team conf... tradition has flown out the window in case you haven't paid atttention. I say burry the ax, roast the pig, empty the the old oaken bucket, and let's move on. I do not think any team(s) should be treated any better than any other or we might as well be the Big 12 bending over for Texas. Do you think OSU really cares anymore.... those kids playing now probably don't remember when Michigan beat OSU. I hate Notre Dame because they feel that their football tradition has given them some sort of birth right. I am tired of this type of thinking. Move into the 21st century.

I care because:
I think OSU has separation from PSU and Michigan (which are about equal), and I think all three have a bit of separation from Nebraska. I would gladly take being in Nebraska's division with either Michigan or PSU. I want no part of OSU's division.

This

I could not care less whether Michigan plays Ohio State or when. I care who Iowa plays and that is it. If OSU/Mich is on TV at a time when the Hawks aren't playing I will watch and be interested. The only time I'd care who wins, though, would be if it affects the Hawks' chances at the Big Ten title.

Blah, blah, blah.

Just about every Iowa fan would give up the Minny rivalry in an instant if it meant we got Nebby as a rival.

Tradition is an argument usually made to maintain an advantage of the powerful over the powerless. When the powerful no longer value the advantage, they then make an argument for progress. It is a tried and true combination.

The sad thing is when the less powerful buy the argument and take up it's cause and hence become complicit in their disadvantage.
wooo...nice. "tradition" is common wisdom until someone upsets the order and ushers in new "tradition". college football's elite at one time were harvard, yale and princeton. how have we ever survived their demise as national powers!

I sincerely hope Delaney doesn't mess with tradition. One of the biggest football rivalries...Oklahoma-Nebraska....was killed off this way. Don't let it happen to Michigan-Ohio State.

The game is going to take place.....

It's not like they are going to do away with the game. They are simply proposing that it take place earlier in the season. I honestly can't believe all the whining??? Hello? Red River Rivalry? Not in November!

Wouldn't the game have been more exciting last year if Ohio State had played Michigan say when Iowa played them? When Michigan still had a shot at a decent season? This end of the year stuff is WAY overblown.

I think the divisional alignment with the two teams split is the only reasonable way to go.

Blah, blah, blah.

Just about every Iowa fan would give up the Minny rivalry in an instant if it meant we got Nebby as a rival.

Tradition is an argument usually made to maintain an advantage of the powerful over the powerless. When the powerful no longer value the advantage, they then make an argument for progress. It is a tried and true combination.

The sad thing is when the less powerful buy the argument and take up it's cause and hence become complicit in their disadvantage.

Why even have conferences? Why not just have 112 teams randomly picked out of the hat to produce schedules? OK-Neb? That was never a big game,really....not like Boise St-Ok.

I just heard an interview that Teddy Greenstein had with Delaney...and you non-traditionalists are going to get your way. He basically said that Mich/OSU will be split and play their game earlier in the season. He indicated that geography will have zero impact on divisional setups.
Iowa could end up in the East in the NEW BIG TEN,with OSU,Rutgers,Georgia Tech, Miami, Maryland and West Va..for all we know.

The man is a mad scientist. He compares Mich/OSU to Duke and UNC in the ACC BB world...says it makes no sense to not have the two top programs playing in the title game.

Do I care? Yes, I do. But like most Iowa fans, I am an old sentimental fool,who remembers Jim Zabel on the radio and all that outdated tradition crap. I did not realize that what was holding back the Big Ten all these years was clinging to all that old pagentry and traditon foolishness,and now that Delaney will thow off those shackles, the Big Ten can become nothing but the northern division of the NFL triple A minor leagues, with playoffs ,wildcards and all that big business stuff.

Immediate impact,this is going to split Wisconsin off from Iowa...and that smarts...probably move NW or Illinois to the East also...no biggie.
It screws ''The Game'', and Michigan and OSU will have another tough game out of division game every year...so it goes.

I will root for Michigan to never make the title game in the next 100 years just to throw this back at Delaney.

Hey Jeebs,
I see you made it over here too.

It's going to be interesting to see how the new conference looks. Many have suggested Nebraska and Penn State being in the same division and Ohio State and Michigan being in the same division. The problem with that is if Michigan doesn't get it's program back on track those divisions are going to be seriously lopsided as Ohio State would have a cake walk to the title every year.........unless they put Iowa in Ohio State's division......oh no! I know that doesn't sound to appealing for Iowa fan's as having to beat Ohio State out to get to the title game doesn't sound to promising. I'd rather take my chances with Nebraska and Penn State. Think about the alternative, If Michigan doesn't bounce back who is Ohio State's competition going to be? Another issue is if they put Ohio State and Michigan in the opposite divisions and then set them up to play at the end of the season, how much fun is it going to be to watch them play each other and then possible come back and play each other in the championship game?

Last edited:
Re: The game is going to take place.....

It's not like they are going to do away with the game. They are simply proposing that it take place earlier in the season. I honestly can't believe all the whining??? Hello? Red River Rivalry? Not in November!

Exactly. Some people just fear change.

Re: The game is going to take place.....

Exactly. Some people just fear change.
It will also mean that Wisc. and Iowa will not be in the same division.
I love that rivalry.

It was just too simple to put the western teams together,maintaining long rivalries,and same for east...must screw this up instead. Why?