Optimism for next year

hawkfarmer

I don't have as much as most did prior to this game, and this one cemented my feelings. Iowa did very well this year due to the defense. Next year they lose 3 stud LBs. They will be very hard to replace. They have a stud in King, but the safeties were horrible today, and I have been unimpressed this year. Miller is not good. He misses many many tackles, and Lowdermilk had a good play with a horrible horrible decision at the goal line, but all day long he took horrible angles. On the last run by Hill Miller whiffed and Lowdermilk just got stiff armed after a bad angle. Defense could be a bit rough for a while next year.

Offense was rough today. I don't put it on Rudock, his knee is obviously not good. There will be some competition there next year. I expect the WR and Rbs to improve. OL is generally pretty good, but as predictable as Iowa is LSU took advantage. I hate Iowa's play calling ability on 3rd/4th and 1. They did get royally screwed on one, but it evened out the next play with the LSU penalty.

I think Iowa will be ok next year and I know the schedule is pretty inviting, but I am not as confident as most are.

Also, just to reiterate, how bad were Iowa's safeties today?

Pretty sure we will watch basically the same team next year. Kind of weak to take comfort from what looks to be a favorable schedule.

Anxious to see what next years defense looks like. Can they continue to lead the program?

Our safeties were terrible in the run game. Nice run on the interception by Lowdermilk, but he took the worst angles to the ball that I've seen since the OSU game. Oh, and guess what, you have to hit a guy like Hill at the freaking ankles...or low. What was he thinking on that last run...why come high at that guy...and allow yourself to be stiff armed. On the opening drive, twice he took terrible angles and didn't make plays. He'd been playing very well over the past 6-7 games, but that was a terrible game against the run. Wow. I kept thinking during that game, "we really need to upgrade the athleticism at that position. Against a big team like LSU, our safeties got exposed in the run game. Lowdermilk is a young player...so I think he can add some size and play the position a little more physical over the next few years. He's not going to like watching that tape though.

I agree on Ruduck...he just didn't look right. I said to my wife at half, I wouldn't be surprised to see Beathard to start the second half...but he actually made some good throws on that opening drive of the 3rd. He just wasn't right today though for whatever reason.

I don't have as much as most did prior to this game, and this one cemented my feelings. Iowa did very well this year due to the defense. Next year they lose 3 stud LBs. They will be very hard to replace. They have a stud in King, but the safeties were horrible today, and I have been unimpressed this year. Miller is not good. He misses many many tackles, and Lowdermilk had a good play with a horrible horrible decision at the goal line, but all day long he took horrible angles. On the last run by Hill Miller whiffed and Lowdermilk just got stiff armed after a bad angle. Defense could be a bit rough for a while next year.

I agree. Losing the 3 LB's is going to show early and often next year. I hope like crazy I am 100% incorrect to.

I expect with brandon and brian, we SHOULD have leadership enough to make improvements in the offseason. Another offseason for the dl, should help also.
I think cj is going to push hard as well.
People have said they are excited about wr's and hopefully there is enough competition to drive that unit this offseason.
Db's and safeties need to really step up.
Rb's really need to decide the order. There is enough competition and talent for someone to step up as a clear #1.

Biggest thing besides individual work and voluntary 7 on 7's, is the coaches need to have an open mind. There will be some sr's, but there always is and with the 2014 schedule we need to play our best.

Iowa program is top 25, that's about it. Still not athletic enough all around to play with the big boys. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

We can talk all day long about Iowa's OLine and running game but when they go up against teams like LSU with 4 and 5 star defenders you see the result.

I was reminded of when a good MSU played Alabama in a NY Day game a few years ago. Bama was bigger and stronger period and it showed.

The offense has to be fixed. The defense might struggle early but I really like how Parker got things turned around this year. I have confidence he'll take advantage of our strength next year (which should be our DL and aggressive LBs who got some experience this year.

The offense has to find playmakers and stick with them. MW needs to be used correctly which means no more stretch plays. Against good teams he rarely has positive yards. He's a great option at the end of a game or goal line.

QB has to step up. Rudock is savy but he has a weak arm. We had Powell for a TD and he underthrew him bad. Against better teams that's the margin of error between a win or loss.

Right now with the schedule, I think Iowa can win 10 games. But I wouldn't be shocked with 6

Iowa program is top 25, that's about it. Still not athletic enough all around to play with the big boys. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

We can talk all day long about Iowa's OLine and running game but when they go up against teams like LSU with 4 and 5 star defenders you see the result.

I was reminded of when a good MSU played Alabama in a NY Day game a few years ago. Bama was bigger and stronger period and it showed.

Athleticism had nothing to do with today.

My hopes for next season:

1. Beathard wins the job in the spring. He clearly has more tools than Rudock and needs the reps to get teh other aspects down.

2. The staff realizes that Weisman is a FB that had a couple outlier games and the backfield consists of mostly Daniels and Canzeri next year.

3. Greg Davis's luggage gets lost on the way back from Tampa, and then Greg Davis gets lost trying to find it.

My hopes for next season:

1. Beathard wins the job in the spring. He clearly has more tools than Rudock and needs the reps to get teh other aspects down.

2. The staff realizes that Weisman is a FB that had a couple outlier games and the backfield consists of mostly Daniels and Canzeri next year.

3. Greg Davis's luggage gets lost on the way back from Tampa, and then Greg Davis gets lost trying to find it.

Me too but:

1. Will never happen
2. See #1
3. KF would go and find him for us.

I'm actually pretty optimistic for next season. Scherff, Canzeri, Duzey, KMM, and Smith all returning on offense. Our DL should be strong to help out the inexperienced LB's. Addition by subtraction at safety with the loss of Miller. Lowery also won't be as hard to replace as I thought he would be at the beginning of the season. King outplayed him most of the second half of the season.

I think we'll have a decent record next season but won't be a very good team. We'll beat a lot of bad teams, much like this year, and lose to any good team we play.

Latest posts