Opportunity Lost-Embarrassing Offensive Effort

Michigan knew exactly how to deal with our DE's. Ride them wide and around the edge, use their hard rush against em...QB steps up into the pocket. They did it time and again. Despite that, our D still played a tough game...more than good enough to win.

The disappointing this about the O...is that we've seen this before. Many times...before. BFz (and Polasek) did nothing to adjust to their pressure. Stanley... he's a deer in the headlights once he gets any pressure.

The book on Iowa is simple. Stuff the run. (not always easy) and then throw the kitchen sink at our QB...he'll shit the bed.

Or culvers
Good point...I wonder what type of game planning, change of direction, change of pace, personnel, creativity Brian and Stanley worked on this week? What is the back up plan when the plan doesn't work? I just don't get how immovable, inflexible and predictable the Statue of Liberty in the pocket for 6 seconds is the plan. Am I missing something? It is astounding and discouraging...surprising?

Michigan knew exactly how to deal with our DE's. Ride them wide and around the edge, use their hard rush against em...QB steps up into the pocket. They did it time and again. Despite that, our D still played a tough game...more than good enough to win.

The disappointing this about the O...is that we've seen this before. Many times...before. BFz (and Polasek) did nothing to adjust to their pressure. Stanley... he's a deer in the headlights once he gets any pressure.

The book on Iowa is simple. Stuff the run. (not always easy) and then throw the kitchen sink at our QB...he'll shit the bed.
Damn...I hope Penn State and Wisconsin don't read this!

BF, Nate Stanley and the offensive line were all pathetic today. Michigan is not good and our opportunity to win the West is gone. Feels like another 7-5 or 8-4 season. Not sure why I got my hopes up for more.

Same results different season. The offense holds this program back, simple as that. Been saying it for years. 7-5 or 8-4 is the norm. It's what I predict by default anymore for any given season.

Damn...I hope Penn State and Wisconsin don't read this!

If they watch the film, they'll do the same thing. It starts with stopping the run (easier said than done). But if you can...then press man on our WRs and bring stunts at Stanley. Game over.

If they watch the film, they'll do the same thing. It starts with stopping the run (easier said than done). But if you can...then press man on our WRs and bring stunts at Stanley. Game over.
Stanley and coaches needed to show up as leaders at The Big House, signature game...Stanley, Kirk, Brian, couldn't answer the bell, standing 8 count, then collapse befuddled and in confusion, no answers.

What is remarkable is that this discussion comes up every year about Iowa's offense, and it always repeats itself. Always. Humming along one week, can't get out of their own way, the next. It's frustrating. You try to deny it, suppress it, keep it hidden in the dark recesses of your mind, but in the realistic part of your brain, you know it's coming. It just will. Lately, it's come at big road games. Those are particularly brutal. Today was a completely winnable game, but with that offense that showed up today, they had no chance.

Michigan seemed to know our every play and move beforehand...and with Brian's inability to adjust on the fly, and Stanley's statuesque position in the pocket, well, tee off guys...no worries.
Still putting Stanley back in the pocket in the 4th quarter (heck, it appeared it was evident even earlier this was not a good plan) was part of Brian being unable to adjust. The OL couldn't keep up with Michigan today. Maybe some other day, but not today. Why run Stanley out of the pocket, repeatedly, was frustrating to watch. It's almost as if Brian has decided that if he tries something different during the game, it's a tacit admission that his game plan was poorly devised, so he's not going to do that. That's probably not true, but at times I wonder why is Iowa repeating the same failed set?

Because they think they’re players are idiots. We can’t adjust because the scheming is difficult for a developmental program.

After every loss it’s always blame the players. We have to execute better.

You cannot execute if the other team knows what you’re going to do.

Yesterday, I saw Iowa O linemen knocked on their backs 3-4 yds behind the LOS.
If you look back at previous years posts and analysis, our OL has been weak for several years now. The Joe Moore year was ironically bad.
And after playing OOC cupcakes every year many here think the OL has returned to the 'glory' days.
And each year reality bites when we move to B10 play.

If you look back at previous years posts and analysis, our OL has been weak for several years now. The Joe Moore year was ironically bad.
And after playing OOC cupcakes every year many here think the OL has returned to the 'glory' days.
Could not be helped. S&C coach Doyle had vacation time coming so his assistant, ( the Pillsbury Dough Boy) took his place. O line play took a hit but they can bake some good cookies!

Because they think they’re players are idiots. We can’t adjust because the scheming is difficult for a developmental program.

After every loss it’s always blame the players. We have to execute better.

You cannot execute if the other team knows what you’re going to do.

Execution is meaningless, if you're trying to execute the wrong thing.

Now that Iowa has reached the meaningful part of the schedule, unfortunately, it appears that Iowa's Offensive Line has proven that it is less than advertised, as are its coaches.

In our big games on the road the last three years our offense has produced one TD. It spanned 25 yards.

Night time Kinnick magic is probably the only thing keeping next weeks game a blow out. We rarely get embarrassed in these set ups

Night time Kinnick magic is probably the only thing keeping next weeks game a blow out. We rarely get embarrassed in these set ups
Unfortunately the Hawks probably won't fall out of the top-25, so the "trap game" setup isn't as good as it has been for those games recently.

The Nits do have Michigan and then Michigan St after us, though.

Latest posts