Open up the playbook today - let it loose!

troy

If there was ever a time to go 2004 with the playbook, today is the day. Let it loose! No punts inside the 40!

Um No. Turnovers could happen that way.

Iowa will continue to do what has consistently not worked.

Extremely close to the vest, kick the ball as often as possible, put it all on the defense.

There is no other way to play football.

I love the idea that some people have that there is a secret back of the paybook that only comes out in rare occasions.

What you've seen for the past 10 years is the playbook. It's open

I love the idea that some people have that there is a secret back of the paybook that only comes out in rare occasions.

there are plays that are rarely called. I can think of 1 that I don't think has been called since 2002.

Boss,
Born to run was great, but the Glory Days of the passing game were in 2004! Why not dust off that game plan?

You know as well as I do,
"The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive,
Everybody's out on the run tonight, but there's no place left to hide!"

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if on the first drive they opened things up just to show something different, but after that they would go to what they normally do.

No no coach loves to let it all hang out, we just need to be at home, and up by 31 for the trickery to come out. Recall double reverse pass to NcNutt against Michigan State up 31.

ISU just went for it at 4th and 2 on the Rutgers 40 yd. line. That is the correct decision. That is not an opinion. That is mathematical fact. The result was a first down, although that is not what made the decision correct, the completely objective math did.

ISU just went for it at 4th and 2 on the Rutgers 40 yd. line. That is the correct decision. That is not an opinion. That is mathematical fact. The result was a first down, although that is not what made the decision correct, the completely objective math did.

what equation is that? Not that I disagree with you. I just wasn't aware it was mathematical.

has to do with probability of resulting points, involves both sides--meaning you get zero if you punt and what that other team could end of scoring. (they have a higher chance of scoring if they get the ball on the 40 as opposed to the 15) But, if you go and make it, you have a greater than 50% chance of points. (I don't have those numbers in front of me, and I'm not gonna take the time to pull them up, but many teams have them, whether the coach uses them or not.) Anyway, go for it a thousand times on 4th and 2 on the other teams 40, and YOU WILL end up with more points because of that than how many extra points you give up because sometimes you don't get the first down.
A much simpler way to look at would be look at what percentage of Coker's carries did he fail to gain 2 yards? That's not nearly as good of a question, but gives you some idea.

Feels that way, I know. But did anyone else watch the BTN replay of the 2005 Capital One Bowl? Iowa blitzed A LOT.

For bowl games, they do adjust it seems. maybe its more on the D side than the O (?)

Latest posts