Open Practice

smhawk

Hey did anyone get a chance go to the open practice? Have any impressions you might wanna provide?

My brother was there and said he heard the word SPRINT used multiple times and they also worked on the full court press. I asked him if he was in the right place!

- Did not see much of Marble today, he suffered an ankle injury at the beginning of practice and played sparingly after that.
- Basabe is very long and active on the offensive and defensive boards. Seeme to have problems finishing near the rim, however.
- Cartright is very quick and very athletic. However, he gets out of control and plays too fast much of the time....even worse than Cully last year.
- Brommer showed some good things today. Hit a couple three's and had played great D as usual. Can not use his left hand around the basket AT ALL though.
- McCabe impressed me most today. He hit some three's and made some real nice passes, especially in transition. Reminds me a lot of Adam Koch for UNI last year, although Zach is a little more perimeter-oriented than Koch was.
- Jordan Stoermer will play some this year. Really a tenacious defender and hits the open threes when given the opportunity. Typical hustle player.

- All in all, I was not very impressed with the team today. Lots of sloppy play offensively, and the black team (Cartright, Marble/Stokes, Gatens, Brommer, and Basabe) got beat up on pretty good. Poor floor spacing and ball movement from them. Gold team (Payne, Stoermer, May, Mccabe, and Cole) at times had very good movement and seemed to play well together. From what i saw today, I would start Payne, Gatens, May, Mccabe, and Cole.

There was not a whole lot to be excited about from this practice. None of the drills they were doing were particularly exciting, and either the defense they were playing was incredible or the offense was not moving like it should be yet. There were a lot of three pointers taken, a surprising amount of them went in too, but the main focus was on trying to get things happening inside and around the rim and that was just not happening today. There were a lot of kicked balls and sloppy plays almost every time there was any type of penetration. Fran kept on telling his players to wake up, you could tell he was not happy about how they were practicing. I still have much optimism for this hoops team though. You can tell that Fran and his staff are determined to vastly improve this team and they are not going to accept any excuses for why they shouldn't be a good team.

Is Archie still not practicing? His name was not mentioned in any of the reports. Thanks for letting the rest of us know how it went herky and trust.

Archie did practice, and played pretty solid defense. He didn't get much of an opportunity to do things with the ball in practice, but in the lay-up lines he was throwing it down strong. As was Stokes, Marble, Cole, Brommer and of course May. Also, I noticed there was an emphasis to get the ball to Brommer down low. I think this getting Brommer's confidence up and expanding his offensive game are two things Fran would really like to happen.

Archie did practice, and played pretty solid defense. He didn't get much of an opportunity to do things with the ball in practice, but in the lay-up lines he was throwing it down strong. As was Stokes, Marble, Cole, Brommer and of course May. Also, I noticed there was an emphasis to get the ball to Brommer down low. I think this getting Brommer's confidence up and expanding his offensive game are two things Fran would really like to happen.

Brommer is key to the season. Definitely in my mind. And I most certainly think he can do it! He just needs to be himself, and he has had that chance to build his confidence, yet in his career... He will get that look from Coach Mac. Also, look for Brommer to be much improved, regardless of whether he is the key to the season, or not...

My starting five to begin the season -Payne, Gatens, May, Mccabe, and Cole. Brommer, Basabe and Marble will start a few games as well. With Cartwright and Archie playing minutes most games, if not every game. That's a good top 10.

Archie did play defense well, but to say he was an offensive liability would be taking it easy on him. He is super athletic but can not shoot or dribble to save his life. His first shot in one of the drills was an airball from 12 feet, and after he clanged the next shot after using the wrong footwork, he was forced to start the drill over. He was the only one who had to.

To anyone that attended, can anyone confirm that there was a 15th player on the team? On HR there is a thread with info of a 15th player on the team(TJ Sayre, former CR Xavier Prep senior at Iowa) just wanted to know if there was any truth to this.

- Did not see much of Marble today, he suffered an ankle injury at the beginning of practice and played sparingly after that.
- Basabe is very long and active on the offensive and defensive boards. Seeme to have problems finishing near the rim, however.
- Cartright is very quick and very athletic. However, he gets out of control and plays too fast much of the time....even worse than Cully last year.
- Brommer showed some good things today. Hit a couple three's and had played great D as usual. Can not use his left hand around the basket AT ALL though.
- McCabe impressed me most today. He hit some three's and made some real nice passes, especially in transition. Reminds me a lot of Adam Koch for UNI last year, although Zach is a little more perimeter-oriented than Koch was.
- Jordan Stoermer will play some this year. Really a tenacious defender and hits the open threes when given the opportunity. Typical hustle player.

- All in all, I was not very impressed with the team today. Lots of sloppy play offensively, and the black team (Cartright, Marble/Stokes, Gatens, Brommer, and Basabe) got beat up on pretty good. Poor floor spacing and ball movement from them. Gold team (Payne, Stoermer, May, Mccabe, and Cole) at times had very good movement and seemed to play well together. From what i saw today, I would start Payne, Gatens, May, Mccabe, and Cole.

This is a pretty good assessment of what I saw. I'll add a couple thoughts.

- Marble could be a very good defensive player, long arms and quick. Looked like Pierce on Defense (no not the courtroom kind) but is in dire need of some bulk and coordination on offense.

- Basabe, definitely can't finish around the rim against good talent. It'll take him a year or two. I thought he'd be quicker and more athletic too the way people talked about him during prime time league.

- I actually liked Cartwright, only guy who would take it to the rim hard and not be scared of getting hammered. Has some quickness that we are lacking. I can see how he might make a few turnovers though.

- Brommer, I was sitting low and the coaches were riding him all practice. He hit a couple three's, but IMO he is too slow and just doesn't have it.

-McCabe definitely is the best newcomer as of right now. Not flashy but beautiful 3 point shot and good bball instincts. Played well alongside May.

- Other than that, May is still our best athlete, we have no bigs that can score and Gatens just settled for 3's all practice not hitting any and didn't go to the rim. All in all it will be a LONG season looks like.

Poor turnout by fans FWIW too. I caught Fran looking around a few times and I think he may have been disappointed. Just my guess.

My brother was there and said he heard the word SPRINT used multiple times and they also worked on the full court press. I asked him if he was in the right place!

Yea really, Iowa hasn't put on a full-court press in the last 3+ yrs!!

Or had a fast-break for all that matters. :p

The Iowa teams the last 3 yrs could have played in deck shoes.

I'm pretty sure Marcus Paige and Peter Jok came for the open practice. Paige showed up with Oglesby. It looked like Jok was there with his brother. The three of them were talking for a good bit at the end of practice. Then, the coaches and most of the players made a beeline over to talk to them after practice was over. I thought that was fairly encouraging.

To anyone that attended, can anyone confirm that there was a 15th player on the team? On HR there is a thread with info of a 15th player on the team(TJ Sayre, former CR Xavier Prep senior at Iowa) just wanted to know if there was any truth to this.
There were definitely 15 guys there for practice.

My thoughts on practice...

A lot of teaching going on by the coaching staff, as expected.

I think Marble will be a player for us. Great length defensively, solid stroke. Just has to add some strength and get/stay healthy.

McCabe looked good. Can shoot the three ball. Hustles defensively.

Basabe didn't look as good as when I saw him in a scrimmage earlier this fall. He's not as explosive around the rim on offense as I thought he'd be. Maybe that will come as he gains strength, though. He does have a good shot from 15 ft. He didn't show if off much in the scrimmage portion but knocked down his shots in the drills and I saw it from him in the aforementioned scrimmage.

Cartwright looked pretty good. Played a little out of control at times, but took it to the rack strong and was the fastest guy on the court. I could see him unseating Cully at some point this season as the starter.

Stoermer shot the ball very well. I think he'll get some minutes for us this year off the bench.

Cully and Gatens both suffered from the same thing...either inability or refusal to penetrate. Both had several opportunities in the scrimmage portion to get to the hole, but didn't.

May looks good out on the break. Good speed and can finish. Needs to work on his shot, it wasn't falling in either the scrimmage portion or the drills. Looked pretty solid on D.

Darius Stokes looked good on D. His length is an asset there.

I think people were more concerned with tailgating and pre-game drinking than watching an Iowa basketball practice.

Agreed. I'm a huge Iowa basketball fan and season ticket holder. But we only get seven tailgating opportunities a year and I like to take advantage of that time. I don't think anyone should have been surprised that there was a poor turnout.

I recall I wasn't good for much before 1:00 on Saturdays when I was in college either. Of course the state of Iowa wasn't paying my way. Lets see what we look like on the 7th.

Hope they just had an off day. Little discouraged to hear multiple observers say that Basabe struggled. I realized his numbers were inflated this summer due in part to weaker competition, but I'd hoped he'd still be a major contributor. I also thought his strength was in his athleticism around the basket, but doesn't sound like that will be the case. Also wasn't excited to hear that many, Gatens mainly, are hovering around the 3pt line. I thought I read somewhere that he was attacking the basket and actually throwing it down a few times?

Hope they just had an off day. Little discouraged to hear multiple observers say that Basabe struggled. I realized his numbers were inflated this summer due in part to weaker competition, but I'd hoped he'd still be a major contributor. I also thought his strength was in his athleticism around the basket, but doesn't sound like that will be the case. Also wasn't excited to hear that many, Gatens mainly, are hovering around the 3pt line. I thought I read somewhere that he was attacking the basket and actually throwing it down a few times?

Don't be discouraged about what multiple observers are saying based on watching some of one practice. Even the most keen basketball experts wouldn't get much from just one practice. And it is very easy to be negative after what has gone down the last few years. I hope most will reserve judgement until we see the Hawks on the court in game situations!

From the video I saw the offense did look sloppy and I saw a lot of turnovers, but it looked like the fast break created some nice opportunities and high percentage shots. I think it was May who had a nice layup on a fast break. I like the different types of defenses we used too, the press looked like its going to cause some turnovers. McCabe drained some threes too and he looked like he will be solid defensively. All I know is that 6 minute video had more action than a whole game did with Lickliter.

Latest posts