Open Practice Tweetcap: The Defense Ruled

Kirk says mind wide open to playing true freshmen WRs. Said Jerminic Smith looked better today than previously in camp.

LOL!!!!!!! :p Go ahead Charlie Brown, kick it. I won't pull it away again...I promise.

1) They better get the sound system tuned prior to the start of the season. When they cranked it to a certain level of loudness, it got really annoying with too much bass & distortion.
2) I worry about stretching the field, AGAIN. Not too many attempts to throwing downfield. If they did, not too many successful completions.
3) I would like to see them somehow get George Kittle involved more, especially early in the season while Duzey gets up to speed.
4) I think Iowa has a good group of QB's and looks positive for the future. This can depend on anyone transfers sec to not playing. I think Wiegers would do a decent job if forced to play for whatever reason. Could there be another QB controversy? I think he moved the 2nd team better than Beathard moved the 1st team but Beathard was going up against the 1 D & Wiegers the 2nd. But, he ran the O well and throws a nice ball. Beathard seemed to throw several balls that got batted by the D line. I think Ryan Boyle is in at 3rd & I think he has a bright future, but he's not 6'2 like the roster states, but more like 5'11" IMO. But, I really don't care. I realize they bloat the sizes at times, but I think they are really fudging his. He fires a quick ball though.
5) I like our slew of RB's. Don't know how much we'll see Eric Graham this year, but he has a nice frame & seems D1 game ready. Good vision & speed. Impressed with him. Akrum Wadley ran well with pretty good vision, but, don't look for him to catch many balls out of the backfield unless he really works on this more. He had his share of drops notably in RB receiving drills and dropped a TD from about the 15 in 11 on 11 drills. But, he could turn that around.
6) Tevaun Smith is a beast & looks ripped. He was his usual which is good. Vandeberg caught some good balls downfield and impressed me more than Hillyer. I thought Hillyer was supposed to have this terrific speed but doesn't look like it on the field with the gear on. He doesn't seem to get good separation or be able to get open easily. Stone seemed to get many reps with the 1st teamers. McCarron and Parker also seemed to get a lot of work. Makes me wonder if they are searching at WR to see who can emerge. Always a WR issues at Iowa. This concerns me as teams will load the box if Iowa cannot figure this out or find a way to go to the TE more. Iowa doesn't seem to go to the TE as much with Davis as when KOK was here. They should find a way to get the TE more involved. Again, Kittle could be a factor and had a couple good catches. They lined him out wide a time or two as well.
7) Kicking game. Cough Cough. Kind of inconsistent in drills but I think they can get that squared away. The kicks looked good in the air.
8) I think the D will be solid and hopefully that is what held the 1st team O down a bit.
9) This Iowa team will probably have to find a way to score 26 pts a game to be more successful than not.

That is what I took from the day. If I think of anything else I will post but this one is getting loooong in the tooth!

Kirk says mind wide open to playing true freshmen WRs. Said Jerminic Smith looked better today than previously in camp.

LOL!!!!!!! :p Go ahead Charlie Brown, kick it. I won't pull it away again...I promise.

Yes, Jerminic Smith had some good reps in at WR. Iowa is reaching at that position. This was the most disappointing unit to me watching today. Hopefully they will get that figured out. With two new tackles, the WR's need to get separation quicker or Beathard will be tucking an running quite a bit.

like this little potic tweet by morehouse:
Talking to offense, they say they’ve had their days. Fewer 3-and-outs and bigger plays.

like this little potic tweet by morehouse:
Talking to offense, they say they’ve had their days. Fewer 3-and-outs and bigger plays.

Sounds like the O is meeting derKirkFeravis' strategical expectations ... just don't get a bunch of 3 and outs and you've done your job of resting the D and allowing Kidd to punt the D into good field position.

Back off on the "bigger plays", thingy.
1) No smoke and sizzlin flashiness needed, here. We're Iowa. A bit unsportsmanlike to get all fancy and score too much.
2) Those "big plays" can turn into a "big turnover" if you're not careful.
3) See above. Big plays are anti-strategical in that they don't consume enough clock to rest the D.

Why would we have brought in any JUCO OL or WRs last year when we can throw in walk ons (Steve Ferentz as 2nd team center...are you fricken kidding me) and 2 star true freshmen.

Sounds like the O is meeting derKirkFeravis' strategical expectations ... just don't get a bunch of 3 and outs and you've done your job of resting the D and allowing Kidd to punt the D into good field position.

Back off on the "bigger plays", thingy.
1) No smoke and sizzlin flashiness needed, here. We're Iowa. A bit unsportsmanlike to get all fancy and score too much.
2) Those "big plays" can turn into a "big turnover" if you're not careful.
3) See above. Big plays are anti-strategical in that they don't consume enough clock to rest the D.

I see your point, but I don't think we are asking Iowa to attempt the big play every other play. There are concerns that they can even effectively go down field to help keep the D honest enough. Teams have to be able to do that or it streamlines the D. That's what most are getting at. To your point 3, all I say is that a team scoring in a big way can help energize a team and they might not play as exhausted. Also, there is the aspect of putting pressure on the opposing D & breaking their will.

But, in the end, there has to be a nice balance with the team using clock in a controlled drive & taking appropriate shots down the field at the best times. I think that is what you are getting at.

Yep we have seen this rodeo before. Young guy plays a few plays late blowing his red shirt only to see the field once or twice the rest of the year leaving you thinking why on earth did we blow his red shirt. Meanwhile excuses come out like 'unable to block', 'does not know the 5 plays from play the playbook', 'missed a hot read', 'looks bad in practice', etc., etc.

Can you imagine the panic on this Board if Iowa's offense had dominated the D? That would be newsworthy and scary implications for the D.

As is, it just means Iowa's D remains really good and that Lester is not Gandalf the White conjuring up offenses with staffs and spells. You don't fix the worst offense in America overnight, but as long as they make progress and are getting better, I can live with that. 3 weeks of camp remain.

Jon, do you still think Iowa defeats Illinois State? I'm still saying Iowa starts out 1-3, with their only win against Danny Mac. Wuff
And it will go downhill from there. '15 has the makings of one of the worst teams since Cummings.

And it will go downhill from there. '15 has the makings of one of the worst teams since Cummings.
I know. What were the coaches thinking letting Rudock transfer. This new QB Beathard thinks he can run the ball. Everybody knows the Iowa QB' S DO NOT RUN!

And does anybody have confidence in that kicker? Does anybody think with the game on the line, he is going to hit a 57-yard FG to win the game?

And Iowa is really going to miss Mark Wiseman at RB. Iowa's RB'S just can't stay healthy. Canzeri once again will do nothing but score TD's

Oh I could go on. Worse part is Iowa will miss OHIO St, Mich, MSU, and PSU on the schedule, but will find a way to blow it anyway. They could actually start 12-0 with this schedule, but we all know they won't.

I remember a summer podcast saying that the recruiting was at an all time low and there wasn't much reason to believe things are getting better anytime soon.