Open Letter to Cook and to Fran

ChosenChildren

To Tyler:

1. You are a truly great player, but you can get better. Stay at Iowa. Be a leader. Be a captain. Play defense and rebound. Listen to your coaches. NBA scouts evaluate character and leadership as well as talent. Man up and lead. It will pay off for you down the road.

2. Stay at Iowa and you will be stunned at the response from the Iowa fans. You will be a legend. We will go to war with you if you lead. Iowa fans are hungry for a tough team that takes no prisoners. This was a soft team this year.

To Fran:

1. Grow up. Get tougher. Quit whining and pouting and feeling sorry for yourself and start coaching. My God, you stunk it up this year. Oh, and could we coach a little defense?

2. Quit handing out participation medals. Only 8 kids deserved to play this year, and yet you played 11. Stupid. You are not helping Iowa win when you play 11. Hold tryouts and then play 8. If the 3 who don't make the cut don't like it, tough. That is life. They can redshirt or play on the scout team and help Iowa get better. It is about winning, not participation medals. Expect more from your kids. Quit coddling them.

3. Finally, don't play underclassmen unless they are CLEARLY better than the older players. Use a redshirt if you have to. Playing young guys when they really shouldn't be out there (Nunge should have redshirted) destroys team morale and rips the heart out of your team. Figure it out.

Hope if he comes here he reads this post and not the thread about people saying we'd be better off without him.

Iowa isn’t better off without, but I think he would be. He needs a coach to teach him in the areas he lacks, and Fran isn’t that guy at all.

I’d be very shocked if he is at Iowa next year based on his own words.

O
To Tyler:

1. You are a truly great player, but you can get better. Stay at Iowa. Be a leader. Be a captain. Play defense and rebound. Listen to your coaches. NBA scouts evaluate character and leadership as well as talent. Man up and lead. It will pay off for you down the road.

2. Stay at Iowa and you will be stunned at the response from the Iowa fans. You will be a legend. We will go to war with you if you lead. Iowa fans are hungry for a tough team that takes no prisoners. This was a soft team this year.

To Fran:

1. Grow up. Get tougher. Quit whining and pouting and feeling sorry for yourself and start coaching. My God, you stunk it up this year. Oh, and could we coach a little defense?

2. Quit handing out participation medals. Only 8 kids deserved to play this year, and yet you played 11. Stupid. You are not helping Iowa win when you play 11. Hold tryouts and then play 8. If the 3 who don't make the cut don't like it, tough. That is life. They can redshirt or play on the scout team and help Iowa get better. It is about winning, not participation medals. Expect more from your kids. Quit coddling them.

3. Finally, don't play underclassmen unless they are CLEARLY better than the older players. Use a redshirt if you have to. Playing young guys when they really shouldn't be out there (Nunge should have redshirted) destroys team morale and rips the heart out of your team. Figure it out.
Of course this is under the assumption TC enjoys being a student athlete

Both of you need to do something about ball discipline and turnovers.

I’m here at half of MSU - Wisky
MSU with 5 tos and Wisky with 2

It CAN be done

He probably will read this letter and do the opposite just because no one is going to tell him how to run his program

I clicked this thread thinking I'd get a good laugh as I often do from open letters but actually agree with pretty much everything said.
Now someone tell me a joke so I can laugh.

To Tyler:

To Fran:

The redshirt thing isn’t as great as you think. It leaves no margin of error for injury. And there are plenty of guys who suck worse than Nunge.

I clicked this thread thinking I'd get a good laugh as I often do from open letters but actually agree with pretty much everything said.
Now someone tell me a joke so I can laugh.

Here’s your laugh: thinking that after a long (and likely very bumpy, considering weather in the Northeast) flight from the NY area to Cedar Rapids, the bus ride back to CHA and then the drive home to dinner and a few hours of sleep, then rolling into the office this morning to begin wrapping up the season and getting back on the recruiting trail, Fran sits down, opens his computer and the first thing he does is peruse Iowa message boards looking for “open letters” on what he needs to do better next year.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

(Sorry, OP)

I hope Tyler Cook does what is best for him. Iowa basketball will go on either way. He did make a lot of improvement this year. Next year, With the sophomores becoming juniors, and the freshmen becoming sophomores they should be a lot better as a team, and it would be a lot easier next year for Cook than this year. They say they are going to have a new weight training system at Iowa and they will be a lot bigger and stronger next year. I don't really understand why they haven't been doing it for the last ten years. Anyway, they didn't have a great year, but they do have a lot of potential that experience and maturity should bring out.

To Tyler:

To Fran:

Couldn't agree more for the most part. Bring Reggie Evans to town for the prime time league for him to bang on and learn from. If Cook could just get some of that type of play added to his game....

Staying at Iowa would benefit him 5 yrs plus down the road more than leaving I think. Leaving would be a knee jerk reaction to how this one bad year has affected him.

As far as redshirting Nunge goes I wish he'd have done it too. I wonder if Fran honestly would agree with that now after the fact....

I remember thinking this team might be better off without Jok...and then the 2017-18 season happened.

In no universe is Iowa better without Tyler Cook.

No team is better off without their top player(s). I have no clue where that mindset comes from. It boggles my mind that some people could be so foolish as to think that.

Being incomplete and being an overall detriment to the team are two very different things imo. Like Jok - it was widely agreed upon that his defense was lacking, but I feel his 20+ points per game and the fact that he could single-handedly shoot us back into a game easily made up for it. Of course better defense would have made him an even better player, but I never for a second believed that we'd be better off without him.

Couldn't agree more for the most part. Bring Reggie Evans to town for the prime time league for him to bang on and learn from. If Cook could just get some of that type of play added to his game....

Staying at Iowa would benefit him 5 yrs plus down the road more than leaving I think. Leaving would be a knee jerk reaction to how this one bad year has affected him.

As far as redshirting Nunge goes I wish he'd have done it too. I wonder if Fran honestly would agree with that now after the fact....
Fran probably thinks the rotation was thin this year.

Latest posts