One Win, That's All It Was

Missouri was ranked #12 in the BCS and #9 in Sagarin and blew out #1 Oklahoma earlier in year. Their QB is projected to go in the top 10 of the draft.

This was a HUGE win for Iowa no matter how you slice it - one of Iowa's best wins of all time.

Only bitter Iowa State fans will spin it any other way.

Only one win yes but with how the season went and how the off season has started another late lose would have been really hard too take for sure. Beating a quality team in the bowl should build solid momentum in 2011 for the Hawks.

it looked like the rest of the season, other than the running game and better kick off coverage. senior qb and senior punter looked below average. defense couldnt get off the field.

if not for a horrendous choice by the Missou qb at the end this was a 7-10 point loss.

Im glad the Hawks won, my fear is those inside the program will convince themselves that nothing needs tuned up.

it looked like the rest of the season, other than the running game and better kick off coverage. senior qb and senior punter looked below average. defense couldnt get off the field.

if not for a horrendous choice by the Missou qb at the end this was a 7-10 point loss.

Im glad the Hawks won, my fear is those inside the program will convince themselves that nothing needs tuned up.

horrendous choices by our opponents? couldn't you argue that about our offense in a bunch of our losses?

nothing does need tuned up- you already witnessed the "tuned up" in the bowl game. now that we have Morris that can blitz with a nickle/dime behind (and hide it brilliantly) you will begin to see that with more regularity. Our defensive capability is like an onion- when it is young and inexperienced in its key positions (LB) you will only get the bland exterior skin, once they gain confidence and some game time experience that onion begins to shed itself it's predictability.

your arguement is moot.

Last edited:
In a nutshell, this is the argument among Iowa's fan base: Execute better for better results or make changes (some could be superficial) then execute those changes for better results.

IMO, if you like Iowa's top 25 status in football, you'll like the former. If you're like me who wants Iowa's football program to go to the next level, you'll like the latter.

IMO, if the defense prepares for all kinds of opponent's offenses, the defense will be better. This can be done by recruiting more athletes then using their athletecism. This means less zone defense.
Same goes for the offense. Recruit more athletes then use their athletecism. Make the "big play" a staple of the offense.

If you use more athletecism, you'll be able to more easily recruit athletes.

What does Ferentz want to do? I know this: he wants to win.

horrendous choices by our opponents? couldn't you argue that about our offense in a bunch of our losses?

nothing does need tuned up- you already witnessed the "tuned up" in the bowl game. now that we have Morris that can blitz with a nickle/dime behind (and hide it brilliantly) you will begin to see that with more regularity. Our defensive capability is like an onion- when it is young and inexperienced in its key positions (LB) you will only get the bland exterior skin, once they gain confidence and some game time experience that onion begins to shed itself it's predictability.

your arguement is moot.

yeah 20 points against a soft big 12 defense is awesome!

you sound like someone that if he won a free camaro RS in a raffle, he would complain that it wasn't an SS

it was a nice win. I get tired of all the excuses for Iowa's season. Every team has injuries.
Wisconsin was missing 4 or 5 starters when they came into Kinnick and beat the Hawks.

Im also thinking a 10-2 Missou team wasnt too excited about playing a 7-5 team.

any good business or organization makes changes occasionally to stay competitive and improve.

I think people claiming this is one of the biggest wins of Kirks tenure are exaggerating.

I sat in the rain and watched Iowa get beat this year by a below average NW team. Drove 12 hours last year to watch them take a knee at the end of regulation against OSU.

Kirks a good coach. For the money hes paid Id like to see him become a great coach.

it was a nice win. I get tired of all the excuses for Iowa's season. Every team has injuries.
Wisconsin was missing 4 or 5 starters when they came into Kinnick and beat the Hawks.

any good business or organization makes changes occasionally to stay competitive and improve.

I think people claiming this is one of the biggest wins of Kirks tenure are exaggerating.

I sat in the rain and watched Iowa get beat this year by a below average NW team. Drove 12 hours last year to watch them take a knee at the end of regulation against OSU.

Kirks a good coach. For the money hes paid Id like to see him become a great coach.

There's no exaggeration. If we'd been 9-3 coming in, and didn't have the off-field issues, it would have been no big deal, just a nice win. But given how quickly things seemed to be falling apart, we NEEDED this win, and that's why it's one of the biggest wins of the Ferentz era.

While what you say is true, many(or all?) of our losses hinged on one play as well.

Go ahead and be like the rest of the haters, DON'T give the defense any credit for flushing, containing and baiting Gabbert into the pick. Was it a bad decision on his part? absolutely. Did our D play opportunistic football? absolutely.
The defense did their job, the offense did just enough (like always) and special teams played like we all wished they would have all season. Much needed and very welcome win against a BCS eligible team.

Come on, you don't think Missouri was jacked up to play Iowa? A border team in a rival conference and the flack they have taken for backing out of the home and home series with us. That game was very chippy, and there was alot of extra stuff going on...they were into it and ready to play. That shouldn't be in question.

Like most on this board, I've been critical of our offense and the point totals against mediocre defenses, but this was no mediocre defense. They had credentials and there are good offensive teams in the Big 12 (Oklahoma, OSU, etc.). They were legit, but we successfully exploited their weakness. Congrats to KOK...and I can't believe I'm saying that. However, Stanzi was Stanzi again in the second half and IMO, he did the same thing he did in our other losses. He had critical misses of open receivers in the second half, and was late getting the ball out and when it did come out, it had nothing on it. Honestly, I don't get that guy.

This was a huge win for the program, and most importantly, Iowa came out and played with heart, a bit of the nasty, and gave everything they had to win that game. I can't be more proud to have KF as the coach of this team. Given what has gone on and the quit at Minny, he earned his money big time to get this team ready. Congrats to KF.

Missouri was happy to be there. They got passed over for this game last year by a 6-6 ISU team. Their officials were tickled pink to get the Insight bid and encouraged fans to buy extra tickets so they could help their bowl prestige standing the next time around.

To me, the importance of the win is magnified due to how devastating the loss would have been.

Had Iowa lost this game, this would have been the longest offseason ever...people would have been pessimistic for nine months.

Now, there has been SOME faith restored, and there will be more optimism.

Latest posts