One problem that won't go away

Seems like several people complain that our football team is boring... and yet we sell out the stadium.

I don't think the football team is boring.. The fact that they are good team and win most of their games is the reason why. There was nothing boring about that Orange Bowl victory. :)

I don't think the football team is boring.. The fact that they are good team and win most of their games is the reason why. There was nothing boring about that Orange Bowl victory. :)

I don't think the football team is boring either, but there are more than a few people who do. And that was his point: there's quite a lot of people who think we play it too conservatively in football, but Kinnick is still sold out because we're winning. But basketball fans are saying even if we started winning they wouldn't come because it's "boring" basketball.

I don't think the football team is boring either, but there are more than a few people who do. And that was his point: there's quite a lot of people who think we play it too conservatively in football, but Kinnick is still sold out because we're winning. But basketball fans are saying even if we started winning they wouldn't come because it's "boring" basketball.

I do agree that the football team tends to play it too conservatively at times in its playcalling, but in my mind, that is different than "boring".

If people want the team to come out and throw 50 times per game, that won't happen, because the KF's strategy is to establish the run and mix in the pass. Run vs. Pass, the FB team is pretty balanced offensively. For my money, ripping off a good 20 yard run is every bit as exciting of a play as completing a 20 yard pass. I don't know many people who thought watching Shonn Greene's running was boring! When KF's offense is working well, it's fun to watch. The 2002 team is another example. Same philosophy on offense as now, but was it boring? Nope!

Kind of like in baseball (if you watch much MLB), some people want to see a lot of home runs. Personally, I enjoy singles-doubles type of game and having guys on base, etc. more than I do sitting around waiting for the big home run.

we scored 78 points

Did it feel like they scored 78 points? I know it didn't seem like that to me because I think Iowa had like 4 fast break points and that would be a stretch to call them actual fast breaks. CHA was dead last night in part because of the Hawks domination and in part because each team held the ball for 30 seconds every possession. The fans would get on their feet only to have nothing happen for 30 seconds, and this is just a product of the system.

I do agree that the football team tends to play it too conservatively at times in its playcalling, but in my mind, that is different than "boring".

If people want the team to come out and throw 50 times per game, that won't happen, because the KF's strategy is to establish the run and mix in the pass. Run vs. Pass, the FB team is pretty balanced offensively. For my money, ripping off a good 20 yard run is every bit as exciting of a play as completing a 20 yard pass. I don't know many people who thought watching Shonn Greene's running was boring!

Kind of like in baseball (if you watch much MLB), some people want to see a lot of home runs. Personally, I enjoy singles-doubles type of game and having guys on base, etc. more than I do sitting around waiting for the big home run.

Well I agree with you there too. I'm a smallball fan, I like singles, bunts, steals. I like homeruns, too, but I'd rather watch a team manufacture runs. Truth be told though, I can't watch a baseball game on TV. It gets pretty boring for me because I like watching what the other 7 players do before the pitch, not just the pitching taking his signs. But that's just me lol.

Example of the boring system with quiet crowd...

YouTube- Butler Sweet 16!

I'd be excited too if we were playing in the Sweet 16 and we were a mid-major underdog going up against a bigger/better school!!!

Difference is, Buttler was in the Sweet 16 and winning games...

...Iowa played NW and can't even win 16 regular season games.

This is a terrible comparison! ;)

It is going to take unprecedented amount of winning to gain fans back. But that may not even matter for some. Some still won't care because of style of play. Nature of the beast I guess.

under this system is going to be the silent crowds. There is no cure for it in my opinion. Last night was as quiet as I've heard it for a Big Ten game. There are simply no opportunities with this system to have an energetic crowd. The system literally is a momentum killer for the crowd.

Some of you may think I'm a buzz kill after the big win last night. And that's fine. But I wonder how many of you who think that were actually at Carver like I was. I don't know how anyone who was there...and also attended games under the Davis or even Alford era...could ever be happy about what is happening at Carver. Regardless of results.

Yes, the system is deliberate but I'd attribute the "energizing opportunities" to a few other things before I'd go after the system:
1) NW press, combined with
2) a true freshman pg and Li'l Lick trying to break that press.

Not an excuse just an indisputable fact: youth = inconsistent execution. (Go ask Kirk Ferentz if you want a more trusted source.)

Cully is certainly getting seasoned by fire but the fact remains, he's still in his first go-round against this level of competition. That means he's still thinking, therefore, more deliberate. That means he will slice through a press / defense with smooth ball handling and well-timed, pin-point passes on one possession and launch it into the 5th row trying to make something happen to the wrong (not-open) teammate on the next.

You here it from every single rookie QB, regardless of system or talent, as they transition to a new level. The same holds true for the "QB" (the PG) in bball. They begin to have success when "the game slows down" and they get through the paralysis by analysis stage.

That said, I think CP is really going to be a very good BigXI point guard. As I've posted before, he already possesses a Scott Skiles / Drew Neitzel type of mental toughness. He's aggressive and attacks the defense as well as Freeman, Peterson and Kelley ever did. Most times, the offense doesn't stagnate through him, it's more when Gatens and May get involved in the top 1/3 of the half-court set (let alone when Bawinkel and Li'l Lick are out around the top, for obvious reasons) that the shot clock becomes an issue.

His biggest obstacle right now is he's forced to play so many minutes, which means, by default, fewer in-game coaching / learning opportunities and the tendency to fall back to poor decisions / habits that probably worked well as a high school stud but just don't as well at this level (exemplified by some form of jump-pass in too many possessions and forced passes to the defended guy). With time and experience, he's going to convert more of those fast-break transitions and early possession passes that he's currently struggling to consistently execute.

As for longing for the past, we might have different recollections. More often than not, I remember fast breaks coming from the opponent as they tore up the press under Mr. Davis. At best, the press might have forced more turnovers, allowing for a shorter court to the basket, giving the perception of a quick break / score. I don't remember it being a staple of the transition game under either Davis or Alford. What's more, against Lickliter's defenses, I have yet to see opponents consistenly and successfully go off on the types of 3-point blitzkriegs that were routine under both Davis and Alford.

Did it feel like they scored 78 points? I know it didn't seem like that to me because I think Iowa had like 4 fast break points and that would be a stretch to call them actual fast breaks. CHA was dead last night in part because of the Hawks domination and in part because each team held the ball for 30 seconds every possession. The fans would get on their feet only to have nothing happen for 30 seconds, and this is just a product of the system.

Yeah definitely............. it only FELT like 71 MAYBE 72 points to me.................:rolleyes:

Any time we take at least 24 3-pointers and make half of them, we are going to score more than we normally do. Couple that with the nice lead we built up going into the last few minutes and the total grows. Certainly nice to score that many. Hope we can do it consistantly at some point.

So, let me get this straight. We win last night and people still criticize Lick for slow ball? So, if Iowa gets this turned around under Lick, some of you are going to continue to complain game in and game out whether it is a win or not? This is gonna be a fun ride.

The same way some people will continue not to pay to watch this type of ball I suppose. Regardless whether we are winning or not.

If you heard the things at Carver that I hear from multiple people who have been season ticket holders for years, maybe you would be concerned as well. Or maybe if I didn't hear them, maybe I could pretend everything was fine as well.

Regardless, I don't feel like I need your approval on what I can post. Those of us who actually attend these games on a constant basis get a different feel for these kind of things than the people who watch the games on tv. That's not knocking anyone. It's just a basic truth. I have no idea if you attend a lot of games Forever. But hats off to you if ya do. Cause you are way more positive after a loss than the average attending fan is after a win.

And just so you don't think I'm all doom and gloom, I've already stated that I enjoyed the little bit that we got out and ran last nite. No, it wasn't a whole lot. And unfortunatley it wasn't spaced together enough that it made an impact on the crowd. But it was a start.

BA96, i completely agree. the title of the thread, though, is "one problem that won't go away," and that's what bugs me-- the idea that even if they keep winning, the atmosphere won't improve because they don't win the "right way." i wish i'm weren't exaggerated, but there's a very vocal faction on this board that makes this exact argument.

all of the suggestions you make are good ones, though. the ad needs to find a way to fill up the student section at least once before the end of the season... by any means necessary.

70's night...its automatic excitement

I don't know the answer. But last night's crowd was one of the weakest I can recall. There have been games where the crowd was rocking. Indiana was one, Ohio State was another. There's been times.

I do understand your point, though, and there is some validity. The lack of steals leading to fast breaks, or secondary fast breaks does kill the mo from time to time. Once Barta realizes he needs to get the students better seats and lower ticket prices for them, it will help.

Right now, there just aren't bodies there.

Exactly. I don't weigh in on basketball much, but I will repeat something I have posted here before.

Now that there aren't as many season ticketholders isn't the time ripe to shuffle the remaining ticket holders around (still giving them really good seats) and improve the seating for the students. How many rows/seats would it consume if you totally, or partially, encircled the entire arena with students? Bottom few rows. It has been awhile since I have been to a game at Carver. Aren't there a few rows that "retract"? Why not put the students in those? Would that still allow the fans who never want to stand still have an unobstructed view?

Tell all current students that they will have free season tickets for the duration of their education. Put a cap on it of course and tickets wouldn't be transferrable so no enterprising student could cash in. Isn't that the current policy anyway?

If the athletic department was serious about creating excitement and filling seats they surely could be a little more creative. Have a student raffle every game and the winning ticket(s) could have their books paid for a year or have free throw shooting contests and the winner gets free football season tickets.;) Other schools seem committed to making their basketball environment more student friendly, e.g Duke, Illinois, etc. etc. Why can't we?

Thoughts?

The idea that the "system" can't be fun to watch if we are winning is crazy. Majority of people follow their teams and really get into the games when their team is winning. Your telling me that if we played slow ball and we were ranked #1 that it wouldn't be exciting to watch? Excitement comes with winning. Some people have this pegged right with the comparison of our football team.

I like fast paced basketball, but I like winning more. I can't believe how some people would rather watch a fast paced game instead of a winning product on the floor. With more players I think we will be able to pick some spots to fastbreak.

If people really want to watch fast paced open floor games I would suggest watching the NBA where they force the game to be that way. I still enjoy the NBA and get plenty of dunks to see.

With that being said. I appreciate the poster that was actually at the game. I haven't been able to make a game yet. Maybe my view would change if I was there?

i am just always going to disagree on this one. i want to see a well-played game regardless of the pace. i went to carver for some real stinkers in the alford era, and they were every bit as painful as the stinkers in the lick era. i honestly don't care how many points we score if we're losing by 15 anyway.

and i know it's not the same, but the best football game i have ever seen is iowa over penn state, 6-4.

Wisconsin plays a fairly deliberate style as well and the Kohl Center is always loud and remains one of the toughest venues in college basketball. If/when Iowa starts winning consistently, the crowd will grow and fans will be louder. I do get what the original poster is getting at and the lack of pace on offense does make the crowd more dull at times, but the main issue is that we are losing too many games.

Latest posts