One player can really change your basketball program

InGoodCo

Luka really has been that player

- for those who missed his spot on The Journey, here it is. You can see where he gets the tenacity to keep coming at you from those work outs with his old man.

Now, I realize, it's been more then one player....he's the last in a bunch of players who have been playing at a really high level over the last 5 or 6 seasons for Iowa....but to me, those type of players seem to be coming more often in the Iowa program. TC never reached his potential, but he was a good enough player to be 1st team all B1G but just never had that break out year. It could have been this year? It could have been Moss this year? I don't know, it just seems like we have a program that is going to kick out quality players now and that wasn't always the case. It's kind of mind blowing that Luka is likely to be our 5th 1st team All B1G player since the 2014 season.

Say what you want about Fran but he certainly has no problems finding a player to build around.

As long as no one goes pro early, Fran is about to go on another 4 year stretch of having a 1st team conference player. Garza, Garza, Wieskamp, CJ. Book it.

What is so special about Garza is how hard it is for defenses to neutralize his game. TC couldn't shoot, so defenses took away the paint on him and he was taken out of the game. Uthoff wasn't strong enough to take the defender on the block, and a tall physical defender would often take him out of the game. Jok was an amazing shooter, but its so much easier to neutralize a wing that doesn't have the quickness to take advantage of defenders on top of screens and take them off the dribble. All solid players.

But Garza, gosh, wow, that guy has the size to play the 5, the strength to body up to any defender in this league, and not just a mid range game but a really good shot from deep range as well. The only thing a defense can do against a guy like that is to double him, either prior to him getting the ball or the quick double after the post entry. He has an answer for every defense, and credit to him for working on the weaknesses in his game and make him virtually impossible to guard.

As long as no one goes pro early, Fran is about to go on another 4 year stretch of having a 1st team conference player. Garza, Garza, Wieskamp, CJ. Book it.

If no one goes pro, we may have multiple 1st teamers next year. The thought of having Garza, Wieskamp, CJ, JBo and I am going to say CMac because he can shoot a little bit is too good to be true. The only thing a defense can do is to double off of CMac's defender, because they will pay big time with everyone else. I do think Garza could develop kicking out of the post a little better, the next evolution of his game, so a great reason to come back for his senior year.

Wieskamp will probably be on there next year if he were to stay.

In my opinion it’s far more likely that he leaves after this season than it is that he’s a four year player. Listening to his offseason interviews at the time I remember thinking this would be his last year. Judging by the general sentiment around here I think we are going to have some very shocked and upset folks if Wieskamp goes pro after this season.

I think it really depends how far Iowa goes. Right now I am of the opinion that both will be back - but if Iowa makes a run to the 2nd weekend all bets are off. The publicity that goes with that type of thing can't be bought, if either is playing with their hair on fire it will raise their awareness another notch.

What is so special about Garza is how hard it is for defenses to neutralize his game. TC couldn't shoot, so defenses took away the paint on him and he was taken out of the game. Uthoff wasn't strong enough to take the defender on the block, and a tall physical defender would often take him out of the game. Jok was an amazing shooter, but its so much easier to neutralize a wing that doesn't have the quickness to take advantage of defenders on top of screens and take them off the dribble. All solid players.

But Garza, gosh, wow, that guy has the size to play the 5, the strength to body up to any defender in this league, and not just a mid range game but a really good shot from deep range as well. The only thing a defense can do against a guy like that is to double him, either prior to him getting the ball or the quick double after the post entry. He has an answer for every defense, and credit to him for working on the weaknesses in his game and make him virtually impossible to guard.

Those pick and pops at the end of the Illinois game really tell you how confident the coaches are in him and his ability. Having a super tall player who can hit the 3 being able to run that is such an advantage as it give the play one better option. When a BIG pops off that, if the defender is tight will roll to the basket for 2. If the defender gives space like Kofi for Illinois did, the player will pop the 3 which Garza did. It is a dilemma to defend. Pick your poison kind of deal.

In my opinion it’s far more likely that he leaves after this season than it is that he’s a four year player. Listening to his offseason interviews at the time I remember thinking this would be his last year. Judging by the general sentiment around here I think we are going to have some very shocked and upset folks if Wieskamp goes pro after this season.
I won't be shocked, but I'll be extremely disappointed. Next year will be the most talented team in over 30 years. To miss that as a fan would suck bad.

Those pick and pops at the end of the Illinois game really tell you how confident the coaches are in him and his ability. Having a super tall player who can hit the 3 being able to run that is such an advantage as it give the play one better option. When a BIG pops off that, if the defender is tight will roll to the basket for 2. If the defender gives space like Kofi for Illinois did, the player will pop the 3 which Garza did. It is a dilemma to defend. Pick your poison kind of deal.
It really is. Imagine if the guard you are running it with being a duel threat in that he can shoot off the dribble if they go under the screen or drive. A healthy JBo would have made a difference this yr too with that kind of play.

One thing I really love about college BBall is it really only takes a couple players to be a really good program. You look at what Villanova or Gonzaga or Wisconsin have done. Or when Syracuse won with Carmello. Football requires way too many players and the blue bloods will always thrive. But in basketball, you can catch lightning in a bottle and shock the world.

Those 2 years Wisconsin went on their run, Kaminsky was a nobody with crappy offers...similar to Garza. Sam Dekker was a highly recruited kid who chose to stay home...similar to Wieskamp. Those Badger teams didn't have a ton of highly recruited talent, they just fit well together and found lightning in a bottle and did some amazing things. Hopefully Iowa can keep everyone together for another year and do something amazing.

Next year will be special. Should start out next year as a preseason top 10 team.
We will be ranked higher than we probably deserve, or at least not lower than we deserve like we normally are, because of the perception of what Bohannon will add next year. He probably gets more credit than maybe deserved because his positives as a player are so good, it's easier for outsiders to disregard the negatives. If we make the sweet 16, and everyone comes back, I bet we are ranked 8th or so preseason.

I won’t be upset or shocked if Wieskamp and/or Garza leave. But Wieskamp will have to do some amazing things the rest of the way to be a 1st round NBA pick IMO. I just don’t see it yet.

Weiskamp isn’t going anywhere soon. He has got to be more consistent and more aggressive at a higher level than he is now. Frank Garza said in an interview, that the plan is for Luka to play 4 years. They want a national championship. He also talked about the NBA evaluation period and said he already knows what they are gonna say. So everyone stop worrying about Luka leaving this year. Having Bohannon back next year, and a bigger, better version of Jack Nunge back will be enough for Iowa to be in the Final Four discussions. Hopefully PMac can make a comeback. But with his condition, we may never see him in a Hawk uniform again.

Latest posts