One penn stater who gets it

S

Scorpio79

This guy seems to have his head on straight. If only everyone else associated with (and/or fans of) penn state adopted this attitude and level of acceptance of the facts.
He doesn't say enough about the sandusky victims, imo, but nevertheless it's a solid piece of writing.

The end of 'Joe Paterno University' - CNN.com

This guy seems to have his head on straight. If only everyone else associated with (and/or fans of) penn state adopted this attitude and level of acceptance of the facts.
He doesn't say enough about the sandusky victims, imo, but nevertheless it's a solid piece of writing.

The end of 'Joe Paterno University' - CNN.com
Good article, Scorpio.

Here's another good article from Grantland. The author went to PSU and his parents worked there as well.

Joe Paterno's legacy at Penn State in the aftermath of the Freeh Report - Grantland

Cartoon carried today in, of all places, the Philadelphia Inquirer.

564070_10151284730478569_1568859171_n.jpg

Good articles. I would like to think that if this was about Iowa, that would be the way to proceed. The heads at PSU became warped in their thinking, possibly brought on by their former success on the gridiron.

In many ways, it has worked to our advantage to be a GREAT university with a pretty good above avg football team, rather than a great football team from a pretty good university. Just looking at the bigger picture, you want your school to be the strength behind the name. That really is what we are most proud of, football is just a way to enjoy Autumn weekends and show the rest of the country that your school does exist.

Good articles. I would like to think that if this was about Iowa, that would be the way to proceed. The heads at PSU became warped in their thinking, possibly brought on by their former success on the gridiron.

In many ways, it has worked to our advantage to be a GREAT university with a pretty good above avg football team, rather than a great football team from a pretty good university. Just looking at the bigger picture, you want your school to be the strength behind the name. That really is what we are most proud of, football is just a way to enjoy Autumn weekends and show the rest of the country that your school does exist.

Agreed. I am far more proud of the UIHC and several of the other outstanding academic departments/facilities than I am of the football program.
As you said, football is a great game and a fun diversion, and I'm passionate about the Hawkeyes, but at the end of the day, it's the UNIVERSITY that I represent in my life, not the dept of athletics.

If this was happening at Iowa and we didn't suspend football for at least a season I'd be irredeemably disgusted.

Agreed. I am far more proud of the UIHC and several of the other outstanding academic departments/facilities than I am of the football program.
As you said, football is a great game and a fun diversion, and I'm passionate about the Hawkeyes, but at the end of the day, it's the UNIVERSITY that I represent in my life, not the dept of athletics.

If this was happening at Iowa and we didn't suspend football for at least a season I'd be irredeemably disgusted.

Sums up my feelings as well.

Very well put Scorpio. I couldn't agree more. :)

Here's another article (From November of last year) that describes more of the lack of leadership at PSU. This involves the women's basketball program, a long-tenured coach (Portland) hired by Paterno in his brief tenure as AD, President Spanier, and AD Tim Curley. Now, this was not as bad a controversy as the PSU football program, but it shows some of the same tendencies to protect the program not the people. This last paragraph speaks volumes:

But, again, it speaks to the fact that the vigilance to make sure everyone is doing the right thing by young people isn't something a university and athletic department should leave up to an "every once in a while" maintenance check. It needs constant care.

Penn State Nittany Lions again deficient in leadership - ESPN

From your Reilly link:

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

Preach it, brother.

Preach it cuz it's true.

Another story from an ex-PSU player ...

For ex-PSU star, only football is true | TribLIVE

“It sucks that a guy I looked at as a father figure and a role model in certain ways turned out to be a monster. There’s nothing you can do about it. Yeah, you felt duped,â€￾ Gelzheiser said. “My personal opinion is, obviously, Paterno knew and did nothing. Joe knew everything. If you got into trouble, the next morning, you got a phone call. He’s as much to blame as Jerry.â€￾

I would rather watch Iowa's third and fourth stringers play a good community college team Oct. 20 than to give any exposure or revenue to Pedo State.

Soooo...we're playing isu twice this season?? Hoka, I guess so.

Latest posts