One of these point guards have got to go

The stats don't lie. They're........not good, and that's being kind. Two are over mid way into their junior years and would need to make a quantum leap in their games to even begin to approach being above average. Not gonna happen.

We cannot go into next year carrying these three guards as they are an anchor around this team and are limiting what this team can do offensively to a degree that is affecting the outcome of games we could otherwise win.

If I had to choose one for Fran to send packing it would be AC. The kid has got to be one of the worst shooters I have ever seen. His handle is below average for a primary ball handler and his turnover to assist margin is almost 1-1. Pathetic for a PG.

Everytime Clemmons hits the floor for extended minutes our offense, which is shaky at best , gets turned sideways and completely disjointed. He can't get us into plays, create for anyone and when he is left wide open for a 3 often times airballs it or clanks it off the backboard.

Gesell should get 30 minutes a game and Dickerson 10 and Fran goes all-in trying to find the best of who might still be out there or bank the scholly for the 16 class.

Last edited:
Agree. Time to "Crean" someone. But 2015-2016 season with only Dickerson and Gesell as PG is a scary thought. Fran won't find any PG at this point and no transfer would be dumb enough to come so all eggs in the basket for 2016 class.

A great solution would have been for IOWA to obtain Wyatt Lohaus, the Mr Basketball for the
state of IOWA, basically twice. By the way, you might remember that his Dad played in the NBA.
Wyatt now plays a valuable role, tough, smart offense and defense for another Top 25 program.

Collossal MISS

A great solution would have been for IOWA to obtain Wyatt Lohaus, the Mr Basketball for the
state of IOWA, basically twice. By the way, you might remember that his Dad played in the NBA.
Wyatt now plays a valuable role, tough, smart offense and defense for another Top 25 program.

Collossal MISS

No thanks. This program needs, and should be able to obtain, MUCH better guards than Lohaus. That being said, sadly he's probably better than Gesell, Clemmons and Dickerson.

Collossal MISS

Just stop it already. Get over it. 1. He's not that good on a UNI team playing in the MVC and he sure wouldn't be doing any better than Gessell or Clemmons in the B1G.

Someone else posted there is no way a transfer would come here. Why not? Sit out a year and then you are competing with Dickerson for starting PG. If you are worth anything, like the transfers ISU gets, you might just be the best player on the team and give this team a big lift in the biggest position of need.

Why does Iowa not succeed? No perimeter offense what so ever, so defenses pack it in tight and since Iowa's half court offense is atrocious (I"m talking scheme) nobody is scared of it. The movement is by 1 player, and unfortunately that shooting is just not there for that player. Iowa needs a few guys that can create their own shots and actually knock down perimeter shots.

Collossal MISS

Hey Brad, let it go already. I'd take Washpun or Mitchell off UNI, not Lohaus...we already got too many Lohaus' on the team.

Just stop it already. Get over it. 1. He's not that good on a UNI team playing in the MVC and he sure wouldn't be doing any better than Gessell or Clemmons in the B1G.

Someone else posted there is no way a transfer would come here. Why not? Sit out a year and then you are competing with Dickerson for starting PG. If you are worth anything, like the transfers ISU gets, you might just be the best player on the team and give this team a big lift in the biggest position of need.

Why does Iowa not succeed? No perimeter offense what so ever, so defenses pack it in tight and since Iowa's half court offense is atrocious (I"m talking scheme) nobody is scared of it. The movement is by 1 player, and unfortunately that shooting is just not there for that player. Iowa needs a few guys that can create their own shots and actually knock down perimeter shots.

IMO, a guard that can beat his guy off the dribble is what Iowa needs, and Dickerson is the only guard on the team that can do that. Yeah, he needs the game to slow down for him and make less mistakes, but he at least has the physical tools. I hope Fran can get him more minutes going forward and work out some of the kinks.

I wonder what the biggest need is for next year at this point - PG or the front court (with White & Olaseni being gone after this year)? Iowa will need both, but IMO, a good PG will solve a lot of ills. If you remember Iowa's 1996-97 team, they weren't really that talented, but Andre Woolridge was able to carry the team and make everyone else around him a lot better, and they went 12-6 in the Big Ten.

So if you ask me - go get a PG. Hopefully Iowa can land a crucial transfer that can play next year, although not sure on the rules about them having to sit out a year, etc. Otherwise, it'll be the current group we have, and we'd have to hope someone like Dickerson can emerge. If not, next year might be very rough.

IMO, a guard that can beat his guy off the dribble is what Iowa needs, and Dickerson is the only guard on the team that can do that. Yeah, he needs the game to slow down for him and make less mistakes, but he at least has the physical tools. I hope Fran can get him more minutes going forward and work out some of the kinks.

I wonder what the biggest need is for next year at this point - PG or the front court (with White & Olaseni being gone after this year)? Iowa will need both, but IMO, a good PG will solve a lot of ills. If you remember Iowa's 1996-97 team, they weren't really that talented, but Andre Woolridge was able to carry the team and make everyone else around him a lot better, and they went 12-6 in the Big Ten.

So if you ask me - go get a PG. Hopefully Iowa can land a crucial transfer that can play next year, although not sure on the rules about them having to sit out a year, etc. Otherwise, it'll be the current group we have, and we'd have to hope someone like Dickerson can emerge. If not, next year might be very rough.

Agree. PG is the key, just like QB in football. Is kirk coaching basketball team as well? We need to see Dickerson with real minutes in a close game and see what he does. Clemmons and gesell = rudock. we know what we have with them. Does dickerson = beathard? We have no idea in the latter case. Heck, we don't know with either player for that matter. Glimpses point to a bigger upside at least. Sorry to bring football into the thread, but can't resist the similarities. In the end, we have to hope the coaches know what they are doing

Agreed. Iowa needs a PG, but I think they shold try to land a transfer. yes he would have to sit out a year, but then he would be ready when Gessell and Clemmons leave. There aren't many PGs left out there that would be worth it in this class, so the help for next year is not coming anyway. Might as well look at 2016, and if you can't get a top freshman why not go the transfer route. Look at ISU, their best players are transfers. I am very jealous of ISU right now basketball wise.

Not a surprise it's been pretty bad all year... It's frustrating but it is what it is. For Wisky with their backup PG in there to just about do whatever he wanted and not turn it over at all is nuts. Not only do our guards not score but they can't guard anyone either.... We can offer playing time to any other PGs that'd like to come for next year hopefully that'll attract someone. We only need one...

Agreed. Iowa needs a PG, but I think they shold try to land a transfer. yes he would have to sit out a year, but then he would be ready when Gessell and Clemmons leave. There aren't many PGs left out there that would be worth it in this class, so the help for next year is not coming anyway. Might as well look at 2016, and if you can't get a top freshman why not go the transfer route. Look at ISU, their best players are transfers. I am very jealous of ISU right now basketball wise.

They are?

Latest posts