One of the worst parts of Nebraska coming to the Big Ten

homes

Is having this message board clogged up with a bunch of Husker fans "educating" us Iowa fans about Nebraska football.

Here's what I say : We don't give a F*#%!

After living in a cluster of Nebby fans in a college dorm, I need no "education." They need it - the need to know that the B10 does not have the haples KU and KSTATES of the 1980s, nor does it have a baylor that is crappy in everything. Like Penn State before them, they need to realize their days of cake-walking through an easy division/conference are over.

Nebby vs Big 12/Big 8: .723 winning percentage all time
Nebby vs Big 10: .535 winning percentage all time.

Last edited:
Yes, Nebraska has a storied history, but the thing is, that was the past. They've fallen off and aren't the big red monsters they used to be.

With that said, this rivalry is going to be EPIC! The UI isn't isu, Nebby will find that out soon enough.

As a Husker fan living in Eastern Iowa for 17 years, I am looking forward to playing in the Big Ten. I have slowly come to respect Hawkeye football ove the years, especially the last two and think this will be a great rivalry. No education given here, as the Huskers will have to earn the respect of Big Ten fans.

After living in a cluster of Nebby fans in a college dorm, I need no "education." They need it - the need to know that the B10 does not have the haples KU and KSTATES of the 1980s, nor does it have a baylor that is crappy in everything. Like Penn State before them, they need to realize their days of cake-walking through an easy division/conference are over.

C'mon, the Big 10 has as many cupcakes as the Big XII did.

C'mon, the Big 10 has as many cupcakes as the Big XII did.

But in the Big Ten, you weren't guaranteed to play 5 of the biggest cupcakes every year. The whole North division outside of Nebraska and Kansas State (with Snyder, anyway) has been terrible for a long time. Then you've got Baylor, Tech wasn't anything until Leach got there. The Big Ten has what for cupcakes? Illinois (who could have a solid program if they got the right coach), Minnesota, Indiana (and even they can play competitively), Purdue (who was MUCH better than their 5-7 record suggested. They were hardly a cupcake.), and Michigan (for now). That's it. Michigan State nearly beat Tech when they were missing a ton of players, including 2 of their top 3 WR's. Iowa, OSU, Wisconsin are all title contenders this year, Penn State is rebuilding a bit, and Northwestern just has a solid program right now. The Big 12 was the 2nd weakest conference in the country. The top couple teams were great, but after that it dropped off in a hurry. Even OK State wasn't all that good, and they were the 3rd best team in the South.

In short, the Big 12 had 6 schools that would qualify as cupcakes, none of whom with considerable tradition and were never likely to be great football schools. The Big Ten currently has 5 cupcakes, and one of them is Michigan. You can bet their status as a cupcake is only temporary.

yea Illnois, Northwestern, Indiana, and Minny are all major football powerhouses. how ever will NU be able to run that gauntlet year in and year out?

Nebraska will make it harder for Iowa to make the BCS and/or a big 10 champinship game. If you want to dispute that, then you're an idiot

If Texas and aTm join the conference too, cap one will be the best case scenario in Iowa's football future

But in the Big Ten, you weren't guaranteed to play 5 of the biggest cupcakes every year. The whole North division outside of Nebraska and Kansas State (with Snyder, anyway) has been terrible for a long time. Then you've got Baylor, Tech wasn't anything until Leach got there. The Big Ten has what for cupcakes? Illinois (who could have a solid program if they got the right coach), Minnesota, Indiana (and even they can play competitively), Purdue (who was MUCH better than their 5-7 record suggested. They were hardly a cupcake.), and Michigan (for now). That's it. Michigan State nearly beat Tech when they were missing a ton of players, including 2 of their top 3 WR's. Iowa, OSU, Wisconsin are all title contenders this year, Penn State is rebuilding a bit, and Northwestern just has a solid program right now. The Big 12 was the 2nd weakest conference in the country. The top couple teams were great, but after that it dropped off in a hurry. Even OK State wasn't all that good, and they were the 3rd best team in the South.

In short, the Big 12 had 6 schools that would qualify as cupcakes, none of whom with considerable tradition and were never likely to be great football schools. The Big Ten currently has 5 cupcakes, and one of them is Michigan. You can bet their status as a cupcake is only temporary.

I think you're forgetting that when NU joins the big 10, it will be broken up into two 6 team divisions. the "west" (NU, Iowa, IL, MN, NW, WI) will become what the big XII north has been for a while. they'll be playing for who gets to go get whipped in the big ten title game.

I think you're getting a little big headed about how good the big ten is. finishing over .500 in bowls last year for the first time in a while doesn't automatically make you the most dominant conference in the land.

As a Husker fan living in Eastern Iowa for 17 years, I am looking forward to playing in the Big Ten. I have slowly come to respect Hawkeye football ove the years, especially the last two and think this will be a great rivalry. No education given here, as the Huskers will have to earn the respect of Big Ten fans.

Welcome Tipton. With you living so close to Kinnick, I am just curious to know if you have taken in a game? I am going to guess "no" and the reason is simple. I lived in the Omaha area for about 7 years and never went to a game @ Lincoln. I could have gotten tickets but the thought of being wedged in between pulsating/passionate Nebby fans for 3 hours was never inviting.

Respect is one thing, admiration is another.

yea Illnois, Northwestern, Indiana, and Minny are all major football powerhouses. how ever will NU be able to run that gauntlet year in and year out?

Nebraska will make it harder for Iowa to make the BCS and/or a big 10 champinship game. If you want to dispute that, then you're an idiot

If Texas and aTm join the conference too, cap one will be the best case scenario in Iowa's football future

No one is disputing the fact that NU makes it harder for us. But what decade are you living in? Northwestern is no pushover, not even close. They knock us off seemingly every year now, and they play very well in the bowls. They've got a good program nowadays. Like I said earlier, the Big 10 has 5 cupcakes, and Michigan won't be on that list for long.

But NU is not going to have an easy go of it, which is what the OP's Husker floormates would probably think (which was his point). They'll be in a division with Iowa AND Wisconsin, which is quite a bit stiffer competition than Iowa State and Colorado. They won't get a free pass into the conference title game.

I think you're forgetting that when NU joins the big 10, it will be broken up into two 6 team divisions. the "west" (NU, Iowa, IL, MN, NW, WI) will become what the big XII north has been for a while. they'll be playing for who gets to go get whipped in the big ten title game.

I think you're getting a little big headed about how good the big ten is. finishing over .500 in bowls last year for the first time in a while doesn't automatically make you the most dominant conference in the land.

Really? Iowa OWNS Penn State, and have had some success against Michigan (before they got bad, that is). Ohio State is the only one over there that truly owns us, and at least right now we can beat them, too. Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin make for a WAY stronger division cream than does Nebraska, K-State, and Mizzou.

Yes I know NU is so good they couldn’t beat ISU, oh and the other school that NU points to as proof that they are going to be so dominate this year beating them in their bowl game Arizona, guess what Iowa beat them handedly in Iowa City. Face in Huskers your best days are behind you and you just need to accept it. You’re going to have to compete for the same recruits as Iowa and Wes. And right now you’re the 3rd best team among those 3.

I have to say a lot of us in Neb have great respect for IA, and as far as the ISU game Nebraska beat Nebraska at that game, very stupid turnovers. I guess I can say our ISU game was almost like your UNI game last yr. I think both IA and Neb will be very low scoring games with great D's.

Welcome Tipton. With you living so close to Kinnick, I am just curious to know if you have taken in a game? I am going to guess "no" and the reason is simple. I lived in the Omaha area for about 7 years and never went to a game @ Lincoln. I could have gotten tickets but the thought of being wedged in between pulsating/passionate Nebby fans for 3 hours was never inviting.

Respect is one thing, admiration is another.

Thanks SayHawkKid. I have actually been to a couple of games at Kinnick. Saw them play Michigan and of course the last time the Huskers came to town. Look forward to more games there.

No one is disputing the fact that NU makes it harder for us. But what decade are you living in? Northwestern is no pushover, not even close. They knock us off seemingly every year now, and they play very well in the bowls. They've got a good program nowadays. Like I said earlier, the Big 10 has 5 cupcakes, and Michigan won't be on that list for long.

But NU is not going to have an easy go of it, which is what the OP's Husker floormates would probably think (which was his point). They'll be in a division with Iowa AND Wisconsin, which is quite a bit stiffer competition than Iowa State and Colorado. They won't get a free pass into the conference title game.

Northwestern will not maintain a quality program. they're at a high point right now. they will not be able to keep pace due to their academic standards. and "because they seem to beat Iowa frequently" doesn't make them a good team. They just seem to have your number. Last year definitely proved that Iowa can show up for big games against quality opponants but for whatever reason don't show up for what should be easy wins (NW, IN, UNI, Arkst) ISU and Iowa are tied at 5-5 over the past ten years, I don't hear much love for the clones on here. double standard much? what makes NW no pushover, but ISU is?

Northwestern will not maintain a quality program. they're at a high point right now. they will not be able to keep pace due to their academic standards. and "because they seem to beat Iowa frequently" doesn't make them a good team. They just seem to have your number. Last year definitely proved that Iowa can show up for big games against quality opponants but for whatever reason don't show up for what should be easy wins (NW, IN, UNI, Arkst) ISU and Iowa are tied at 5-5 over the past ten years, I don't hear much love for the clones on here. double standard much? what makes NW no pushover, but ISU is?

Maybe because most of the Clones' wins against us happened in the early part of the past decade, and they haven't had too many winning teams recently. Northwestern has been bowling more often than not this decade AND they have our number.

Really? Iowa OWNS Penn State, and have had some success against Michigan (before they got bad, that is). Ohio State is the only one over there that truly owns us, and at least right now we can beat them, too. Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin make for a WAY stronger division cream than does Nebraska, K-State, and Mizzou.

I believe Iowa is 7-5 against PSU. I don't think I would call that "owning". OSU owns you, and without seeing any actual numbers, I'm guessing it's still a safe assumption that Iowa has had limited success against Michigan. Iowa is not on par with any of these three teams, and a confernece championship will surely make it harder for Iowa to be successful in football (as successful as last year that is)

I don’t know that I totally agree about NW. They have a very good coach that isn’t going any ware for a long time. He understands his weaknesses and strengths and plays to them. The thing about NW is, on paper you think we should kill these guys, but they are so well coached they will just keep hanging around and take advantage of whatever opportunities they get. They have had Iowa’s number much in the same way we have had PSU’s number but I must say Iowa isn’t the only ones that struggle with them. We’re just the ones that keep losing to them. I also don’t know that I agree with Jon on the conference alignment thing either. I understand what he is saying but if the conference was divided up like he said, then the west side would be stacked. OSU would love that set up because PSU, NU, Iowa, and Wes. Would be 4 of the 5 toughest schools in the big 10 fighting it out to see who gets a shot at OSU.

Speaking of idiots...

Latest posts