On the bright side...

I would argue that being tired can affect you some. But you practice that. A lot. Once you've played ball and shot as many of them as they have (or should have in practice) It's muscle memory. If your thinking about it at all be it the situation or your mechanics at the line your toast. D1 college guys play more ball then I did I'm sure. When I was a kid I spent many nights and all day on Saturdays when I went in the house I couldn't hardly walk. But I could still shoot free throws better then some of the pitiful numbers you can often see now. It just blows my mind that kids don't think about how important that they are in regards to winning and losing games. How many more games could any program win if they raised their % just 5-10 percent more as a group? When your talking about close games it's the easiest difference maker you can control to improve on

I think the part of the article about pressure is the most significant. Some teachers try to teach fundamentals of shooting FTs and think none of the other factors (fatigue, pressure, crowd) do not matter. Coaches/players will tell you that those factors can matter. Remember Nick Anderson?

http://ballislife.com/revisiting-ni...ee-throws-at-the-end-of-gm1-of-the-95-finals/

Nick “The Brick” Anderson went from a 74 percent free throw shooter to a 40 percent free throw shooter. He played a few more mediocre years, including a very forgettable stint with the Kings and Grizzlies.

When I coached HS bb, my teams always led the league or were top 3 in FT%. Muscle memory is key. We always practiced FT's at the end of practice, when you were the most tired. We used visualization a lot. Some times we'd stop practice for a minute and I'd tell each kid to visualize shooting 2 FT's in a game. visualize making both, nothing but net.
When you go to bed,visualize yourself shooting FT's again. Every one is perfect. Nothing but net. Put kids in pressure situations. With FT's on the line. Pick somebody to shoot a one-and-one. If they miss one, everybody but them runs.
I just cannot believe how atrocious Iowa is at FT's. They should be embarrassed.
I did some assisting coaching, and my rule was that every player at the end of practice couldn't hit the showers until they made three in a row. It worked great. Just having the players shoot a ton of them doesn't necessarily result in proper muscle memory, but making them concentrate on making three in a row forces them to focus, and adjust their mechanics.

I used to do the same thing with golf. On the practice range, it didn't matter if I hit 100 7-irons, my accuracy never improved, but, when I picked a target, and forced myself to land three in a row on the target, I made gains.

You guys are overreacting. 1 for 8 is a good base to build a foundation on for the next 2 years. o_O
1 for 8? I thought you were referring to the football team's 3rd down conversion rate. I kid, because I care.

I think the part of the article about pressure is the most significant. Some teachers try to teach fundamentals of shooting FTs and think none of the other factors (fatigue, pressure, crowd) do not matter. Coaches/players will tell you that those factors can matter. Remember Nick Anderson?

http://ballislife.com/revisiting-ni...ee-throws-at-the-end-of-gm1-of-the-95-finals/

Nick “The Brick” Anderson went from a 74 percent free throw shooter to a 40 percent free throw shooter. He played a few more mediocre years, including a very forgettable stint with the Kings and Grizzlies.
Oh yes I remember him well. That was an almost total mental break down of epic proportions. It's one thing to totally shrink up in the moment it's another for it to affect you years after that like it did. I have no explanation for something like that. Only thing comparable to that to me is when Rick Ankiel got the yips and couldn't throw a strike. Nothing physical about it 100% in their head.

Oh yes I remember him well. That was an almost total mental break down of epic proportions. It's one thing to totally shrink up in the moment it's another for it to affect you years after that like it did. I have no explanation for something like that. Only thing comparable to that to me is when Rick Ankiel got the yips and couldn't throw a strike. Nothing physical about it 100% in their head.
To an extent I think that has happened to Garza.

I was a TERRIBLE free throw shooter in high school and I still shot 60%. It completely blows my mind that athletes getting free tuition for shooting a basketball can't do better than I could in high school.
It's a practice issue. A lot of kids don't practice FT shooting on their own. I remember doing it. Kids these days just don't do it unless their coach makes them do it.

It's a practice issue. A lot of kids don't practice FT shooting on their own. I remember doing it. Kids these days just don't do it unless their coach makes them do it.

I disagree. It's a guards not getting to the line enough issue.

I was speaking of the poor FT shooting %. You would be correct as well. Our guards don't drive the lane and you'd be stupid to foul guards out past the 3pt line.

If you compare our bigs free throw shooting compared to other teams bigs, it's probably only bad. When you compare our overall team to others, it's horrible. That's because of the extremely high percentage of attempts our bigs have compared to our guards.

Right now, Pemsl is just bad. Garza and Wagner are horrible, and everyone else is just fine. We don't have a bad free throw shooting team. We have two horrible free throw shooters.

I disagree. It's a guards not getting to the line enough issue.

Agree to disagree. Just my opinion, but it becomes a team issue when as you stated the guards aren't getting to the stripe. If your guards who more than likely are the higher percentage shooters on the team aren't getting to the stripe it makes it that much more important for the bigs to make theirs. Empty possessions, inability to avoid turnovers, and poor defense translate directly into losses. Whether it's because the guards aren't getting to the line or not, it's a team issue.

Agree to disagree. Just my opinion, but it becomes a team issue when as you stated the guards aren't getting to the stripe. If your guards who more than likely are the higher percentage shooters on the team aren't getting to the stripe it makes it that much more important for the bigs to make theirs. Empty possessions, inability to avoid turnovers, and poor defense translate directly into losses. Whether it's because the guards aren't getting to the line or not, it's a team issue.

True. But my point is, we don't have very many bad free throw shooters on the team, relative to the position they play. That is in rebuttal to people saying they need to work on free throws. There are 3 guys that really need to work on them. Garza, Pemsl, and Wagner. It's unfortunate that those e guys shoot so many.

True. But my point is, we don't have very many bad free throw shooters on the team, relative to the position they play. That is in rebuttal to people saying they need to work on free throws. There are 3 guys that really need to work on them. Garza, Pemsl, and Wagner. It's unfortunate that those e guys shoot so many.

I got ya. It just infuriates me that we can't find a way to improve collectively at the line, whether that means getting more guards to the line or getting those 3 to start hitting them. You look at a 1-8 performance and your basically giving away 4 more empty possessions, not to mention all the others times were giving the ball back with stupid turnovers. There's a good number of reasons why were struggling to win games.

I got ya. It just infuriates me that we can't find a way to improve collectively at the line, whether that means getting more guards to the line or getting those 3 to start hitting them. You look at a 1-8 performance and your basically giving away 4 more empty possessions, not to mention all the others times were giving the ball back with stupid turnovers. There's a good number of reasons why were struggling to win games.

I think the 1-8 game was completely random and could happen to a good free throw shooting team. It's the 15-30 games that get me. I think Garza will be fine and Wagner doesn't play much. So that leaves Pemsl. He's the only one that really bothers me at the line. Brady missing the front end of the 1 and 1 hurt bad against ISU because those are points you expect.

I think the 1-8 game was completely random and could happen to a good free throw shooting team. It's the 15-30 games that get me. I think Garza will be fine and Wagner doesn't play much. So that leaves Pemsl. He's the only one that really bothers me at the line. Brady missing the front end of the 1 and 1 hurt bad against ISU because those are points you expect.

I hope it's completely random, but like you said even the nights were shooting 50% if we do that while turning the ball over as often as we have its a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts