on iowa podcast

NCHawker

Did you listen to that podcast, released yesterday. Scott and Marc both concluded that change in Immanent. The WR's are not developing and there has been enough time with GD. Its a good listen.'

My thoughts, which are worth what you paid me for them.

1. A new OC will only be as awesome as Ferentz allows him to be. Davis has to go, but the next guy has to have some autonomy or we're going to be right back here yelling about it in 2 years. As Ted "Howard Hughes" Pacha and the rest of the booster cronies have so eloquently told us, the Kirk Ferentz Midnight Special is going to be here for a long, long time.

2. Recruiting is just as important as the scheme when it comes to WRs. Our current group minus Matt Vandeberg isn't up to the task of competing against the best Big 10 teams no matter how many times they're thrown to.​

Did you listen to that podcast, released yesterday. Scott and Marc both concluded that change in Immanent. The WR's are not developing and there has been enough time with GD. Its a good listen.'

Good podcast from Morehouse & Dochterman. I've only made it through part of it (long) but will finish up soon. Interesting to hear their insight on a variety of Hawk football topics.......... a fit for any hardcore Hawk fan.

It appears there's some smoke around Davis being out as the OC, or maybe I'm wistfully hearing more than what was intended to be said. If that comes to pass, it would be on the order of Ferentz naming Beathard as the starting QB at the beginning of 2015 - something to show some signs of life in the program.

The average score of a college team this year has been 29.3 points per game. Iowa averaged 24.9, including 6 games of 21 points or fewer - that's more than a touchdown per game behind the average. If Iowa had scored just the average number of points each game this year (no more/no less), they would have had 10 wins (NDSU and Wisconsin), the other losses - NW, Penn State and Florida would still stand; the 8 wins would still have resulted in wins, meaning the opponent did not score more than the average. I realize that's a lot to assume as a hypothetical, because, for one, it means the other team's score remains the same, but it speaks to having to rely too much on the defense to keep them in close games (thank goodness Iowa's defense was as good as it was or the season would have been a real disaster). That's too much of a burden week in and week out. Some weeks the defense needs some "help" from the offense. They did not get much help from the offense against quality opponents (save Nebraska).

Time for a new look for the offense.

It appears there's some smoke around Davis being out as the OC, or maybe I'm wistfully hearing more than what was intended to be said. If that comes to pass, it would be on the order of Ferentz naming Beathard as the starting QB at the beginning of 2015 - something to show some signs of life in the program.

The average score of a college team this year has been 29.3 points per game. Iowa averaged 24.9, including 6 games of 21 points or fewer - that's more than a touchdown per game behind the average. If Iowa had scored just the average number of points each game this year (no more/no less), they would have had 10 wins (NDSU and Wisconsin), the other losses - NW, Penn State and Florida would still stand; the 8 wins would still have resulted in wins, meaning the opponent did not score more than the average. I realize that's a lot to assume as a hypothetical, because, for one, it means the other team's score remains the same, but it speaks to having to rely too much on the defense to keep them in close games (thank goodness Iowa's defense was as good as it was or the season would have been a real disaster). That's too much of a burden week in and week out. Some weeks the defense needs some "help" from the offense. They did not get much help from the offense against quality opponents (save Nebraska).

Time for a new look for the offense.
Quite a few good points here. My counter (and I'm not disagreeing with your points or hypothetical conclusions) is that I really don't care what the average score in college football is because Iowa plays 9 games in a conference that as a whole plays a different style of football -- just as the other power 5 conferences have their own characteristics.

If Iowa's offensive average is a touchdown below in B1G play -- and especially in the west division -- (and it very well may) then your points and conclusions have weightier merit.

Again, not disagreeing with you, but when 75% of the games are played with "common opponents" then those stats carry more weight.

Quite a few good points here. My counter (and I'm not disagreeing with your points or hypothetical conclusions) is that I really don't care what the average score in college football is because Iowa plays 9 games in a conference that as a whole plays a different style of football -- just as the other power 5 conferences have their own characteristics.

If Iowa's offensive average is a touchdown below in B1G play -- and especially in the west division -- (and it very well may) then your points and conclusions have weightier merit.

Again, not disagreeing with you, but when 75% of the games are played with "common opponents" then those stats carry more weight.
The nice part of this discussion is that is all purely academic now. Next year we'll have something (someone?) else to complain about.

The nice part of this discussion is that is all purely academic now. Next year we'll have something (someone?) else to complain about.
There's complaining and then there's complaining. :D

This weeks' pre-Wisconsin On Iowa podcast was an epic 2 hour extravaganza. They dug deep and walked right up to the line of calling Brian and Kirk out for the flat tire offense. They aren't fans (officially) but listen closely. At the end, there is an interview with Phil Parker...sorta tacked on without any introduction

This weeks' pre-Wisconsin On Iowa podcast was an epic 2 hour extravaganza. They dug deep and walked right up to the line of calling Brian and Kirk out for the flat tire offense. They aren't fans (officially) but listen closely. At the end, there is an interview with Phil Parker...sorta tacked on without any introduction

I'd really like to see what an OC, including BF, could do if KF would just leave them alone to run the offense. I think KOK, GD, & BF (despite being completely unqualified to be an P5 OC when he was hired) would be just fine without having to deal with KF being their overlord.

They seem to be a fixation on "protect the defense". Just run the clock. Keep the ball from the other team... that's OK but when the team does not score... WTF?

I'd really like to see what an OC, including BF, could do if KF would just leave them alone to run the offense. I think KOK, GD, & BF (despite being completely unqualified to be an P5 OC when he was hired) would be just fine without having to deal with KF being their overlord.
You may be correct.But 'never' will it happen. Or till $$$$ slips huh? Go Hawks.

Latest posts