Omicron Covid

DrKnipe

The national news is getting to remind me of the way the news was in March of 2020. I hope this doesn’t create another shutdown.

News isn't news anymore, no matter what side you're on. News is there to generate viewership and ad revenue. It's money, and the best way to get people to watch or read your shit and generate views/clicks is to either scare the hell out of them or make them really mad. That's the only function of "news" in 2020.

Here's some news...

Covid deaths in the US are well under 1,000 per day right now.

Heart disease is almost always preventable but it is responsible for 1,800 deaths per day, per CDC stats.

Smoking-related deaths are 100% preventable and result in 1,300 deaths per day, per CDC stats.

But we see none of those topics on the news. Live your life the way you want to live it. Get the shot if you want it, don't get it if you don't. But don't tell people what they should do unless you ban trans fats, sugar, and cigarettes, and DEFINITELY don't tell anyone what to do if you make use of anything paid for with the US Government's general fund, which takes $1.01 per pack of smokes.

Last edited:
News isn't news anymore, no matter what side you're on. News is there to generate viewership and ad revenue. It's money, and the best way to get people to watch or read your shit and generate views/clicks is to either scare the hell out of them or make them really mad. That's the only function of "news" in 2020.

Here's some news...

Covid deaths in the US are well under 1,000 per day right now.

Heart disease is almost always preventable but it is responsible for 1,800 deaths per day, per CDC stats.

Smoking-related deaths are 100% preventable and result in 1,300 deaths per day, per CDC stats.

But we see none of those topics on the news. Live your life the way you want to live it. Get the shot if you want it, don't get it if you don't. But don't tell people what they should do unless you ban trans fats, sugar, and cigarettes, and DEFINITELY don't tell anyone what to do if you make use of anything paid for with the US Government's general fund, which takes $1.01 per pack of smokes.
Comparing heart disease and smoking to covid is like comparing white & Black. You control weather you get Heart Disease or if you smoke you dont control if you get Covid. Were trying to get to a point were we can somewhat control the uncontrolable.

Comparing heart disease and smoking to covid is like comparing white & Black. You control weather you get Heart Disease or if you smoke you dont control if you get Covid. Were trying to get to a point were we can somewhat control the uncontrolable.
It's an extremely, extremely small portion of the vaccinated population who gets sick enough to be hospitalized, and an even smaller portion die from it. Basically, if you're vaccinated you have roughly the same chance of being hospitalized or dying as you do the flu. Also, I can in fact control whether I get covid or not. I can wear a mask for prevention, and I can avoid people by staying home if I'm afraid of getting it.

And regarding my examples of heart disease and smoking deaths, you're completely dodging the point. The point is people wanting the government to mandate vaccines to prevent the vaccine, when we don't mandate anything about bigger killers like smoking or trans fats. Makes zero sense other than media people wanting to get the fear mongering stoked so they get more clicks and views.

I'm vaccinated, currently have covid so will now be watching the Big Ten Championship from my couch, oh well. Pretty sure I picked it up in Iowa City the weekend of the Illinois game. The friend I went with insisted on parking in the commuter lot and riding the bus (Where masks were required, social distancing certainly wasn't, not that either are doing shit in a confined space like that) instead of parking at Finkbine like I always do, but oh well. Fry's stats are pretty on point. Before you start to lose it on him, he's not some fringe right winger conspiracy theorist. As to the 75% vaccination claim, you might want to turn off the news, which Fry hit on as well. If any of the benchmarks we were sold were going to work (Where work here means, eliminate covid, I'd remind you of two weeks to flatten the curve), they would have. It's a virus, and us pretending it somehow functions differently than any other virus we encounter in any cold and flu season is futile. A 100% flu vaccination rate wouldn't eliminate the flu, either, let alone 75%. Stay home if you're sick, wash your hands, don't infect old people.

when over 75% of the population gets vaxxed. Really not that hard to figure out.
and why is it the only people i hear about getting covid seems to be those who are vaxxed? My cousin, who just had cancer surgery a month ago, is in the hospital on oxygen. He's vaxxed and so is his wife who was also sent to the hospital. Another one of my vaxxed friends recently got it. Then you have the players and coaching staff from the cowboys, then you have Dana white, and the list goes on and on and on. And i suppose you'd say all these vaxxed people must have gotten the virus from an unvaccinated person............meh

If you want to smoke 10 packs a day and kill yourself, I could give a shit. But when you refuse to get a simple vaccination to prevent infecting me and my family from the deadliest virus pandemic our country has experienced in over 100 years -- for no good reason -- then your behavior becomes MY business and the 'do whatever you want' suggestion becomes BS.
We have traffic rules to prevent needless deaths, but I don't hear antivaxxers saying "if you want to follow the speed limit, fine, if you want to drive 140 mph on the highway, fine."
The incredible hypocrisy of antivaxxers is that 99% of them probably received -- and had their children receive -- basic mumps, rubella, etc vaccines without a peep.
Their level of selfishness is mind-boggling. And I would go beyond that and say they are also being incredibly unpatriotic, as they are preventing our country from recovering economically.

If you want to smoke 10 packs a day and kill yourself, I could give a shit. But when you refuse to get a simple vaccination to prevent infecting me and my family from the deadliest virus pandemic our country has experienced in over 100 years -- for no good reason -- then your behavior becomes MY business and the 'do whatever you want' suggestion becomes BS.
We have traffic rules to prevent needless deaths, but I don't hear antivaxxers saying "if you want to follow the speed limit, fine, if you want to drive 140 mph on the highway, fine."
The incredible hypocrisy of antivaxxers is that 99% of them probably received -- and had their children receive -- basic mumps, rubella, etc vaccines without a peep.
Their level of selfishness is mind-boggling. And I would go beyond that and say they are also being incredibly unpatriotic, as they are preventing our country from recovering economically.
My wife and i for the most part are holistic minded. When it comes to medication we do research and first take a holistic approach before jumping to western medicine. When it comes to our decision in fighting a virus we make the choice to allow our bodies to fight off virus' just as it's designed to do. We eat heathy (for the most part) and exercise on a regular basis. We have a cognitive ability to way the risk and make a decision on what we believe is right for us. And simply because i make the choice not to get vaccinated does not mean i'm an "anti vaxxer". When my dad asked me what i thought about him getting vaccinated i told him to get it. My dad is 71 and has smoked all his life and is in a high risk category. I'm 42 and take care of my body. I've never received a flu vaccine and there were multiple vaccines we chose not give our children.

You seem like you have a great deal of anxiety about this so my question to you is; since you're vaccinated, what risk is an unvaccinated person poising to you and your family?

Last edited:
If you want yourself and your family to be protected, get vaccinated. Don't tell other people they have to. (I am vaccinated, and not anti vaccine.)

The mumps, rubella, polio vaccine comparison bullshit is astoundingly apples/oranges.

Those diseases are much more dangerous to the general populace, and they're eradicable diseases. Polio is gone because of the vaccine. Coronaviruses are not eradicable. They mutate at an alarming rate, and no vaccine will ever get rid of them. Never, ever. We're almost 2 years into this thing and we're already at mutation Omicron which is #15 in the alphabet.

In a healthy person covid is statistically not much severe than influenza. If the person is vaccinated it's statistically less severe than the common cold if someone has a breakthrough case.

Covid is here to stay even if 100% of people get vaccinated. Eventually it will weaken in severity just like Spanish Flu and many others before and after it.

You want to protect yourself and your family? Eat healthy, exercise, get vaccinated, and avoid people. If you do those things you are almost 100% protected from hospitalization and death, and your chances of dying from covid are less than your chances of dying driving to work every day by orders of magnitude. Talk about selfishness.....you mean to tell me you're too selfish to eat healthy, vaccinate yourself, and avoid people? I mean, because if you do those things already, what the F are you whining about?

Last edited:
I'm vaccinated, currently have covid so will now be watching the Big Ten Championship from my couch, oh well. Pretty sure I picked it up in Iowa City the weekend of the Illinois game. Stay home if you're sick, wash your hands, don't infect old people.
Hope you feel better soon.

A 100% flu vaccination rate wouldn't eliminate the flu, either, let alone 75%. Stay home if you're sick, wash your hands, don't infect old people.
That's quite enough rationality for one day, dammit. This is OT, we have to go full idiocy on these threads...

Blaming other people for infecting you with covid is like blaming someone for giving you an STD. At some point, you gotta take self accountability.

The "needless death" thing I always see is so stupid. Which deaths are "needed"? Everyone dying in a car accident can fall into the "needless death" category because we can set 15 mph speed limits.

Calling someone an anti vaxer because they won't take this one specific vaccine is also short sighted. You are assuming all vaccines are equal. There are a few very important variables like how deadly the disease is, how effective the vaccine is, and how risky the vaccine is. The polio vaccine makes sense to me because the disease is extremely deadly and the vaccine is extremely effective. The flu and covid vaccines don't make sense to me because the diseases aren't very deadly and the vaccines aren't very effective. And who are you to pretend you know that the same people not taking the covid vaccine are the ones that take the other ones without a peep?

And who are you to pretend you know that the same people not taking the covid vaccine are the ones that take the other ones without a peep?
Either way, the currently required vaccines are for diseases that are eradicable.

Covid is not eradicable. Not even remotely close.

My wife and i for the most part are holistic minded. When it comes to medication we do research and first take a holistic approach before jumping to western medicine. When it comes to our decision to fighting a virus we make the choice to allow our bodies to fight off virus' just as it's designed to do. We eat heathy (for the most part) and exercise on a regular basis. We have a cognitive ability to way the risk and make a decision on what we believe is right for us. And simply because i make the choice not to get vaccinated does not mean i'm an "anti vaxxer". When my dad asked me what i thought about him getting vaccinated i told him to get it. My dad is 71 and has smoked all his life and is in a high risk category. I'm 42 and take care of my body. I've never received a flu vaccine and there were multiple vaccines we chose not give our children.

You seem like you have a great deal of anxiety about this so my question to you is; since you're vaccinated, what risk is an unvaccinated person poising to you and your family?
I take aleve when I have a bad headache from drinking too much. That's about the extent of what I take. I've had a couple surgeries and quit taking pain medication way earlier than I probably should have because I don't like relying on it. I get bad allergies and my wife gets on me for not taking anything. I just don't like to make my body depend on it. I have a really strong immune system and I think a big reason for that is I let it do its thing instead of helping it out with medication.

I had covid and it sucked pretty bad for a week. I questioned if it was worth it not taking the vaccine and it was a pretty easy yes for me. Now I have natural immunity which is pretty universally agreed upon that it's better. Although it's pretty easy to find things that suggest it's not. My life experience tell me that I know a shit ton of people who have been vaxed and got it kinda bad, but I don't know a single person who got it a second time and was even kinda bad the second time.

And to people that say unvaccinated people are spreading it. I started feeling sick a few days before going to a huge wedding. My symptoms told me a had covid so I never went. If I got vaxed, there's a decent chance I would have still gotten it and had no symptoms. If that happened, how many people at thar wedding would I given it to. I'll gladly take the symptoms I had in exchange for not super spreading it at that wedding. I'm pretty much a hero.

First of all, I want to correct some misinformation in the above posts. It was stated in two posts above that polio was "much more dangerous" and "was extremely deadly" compared to Covid-19. No. Polio results from a VIRUS, folks. 72% of people exposed to the polio virus experience no symptoms. 25% experience mild, flu-like symptoms. 1-5% experience brain & systemic complications. Sound familiar, anyone? Oh, but at the peak of the polio epidemic, the US had 3,000 deaths in one year. We're now over 700,000 deaths in the US in 2 years. So please stop spreading misinformation.
Secondly, the idea that we all live in a bubble and can avoid C-19 by just "avoiding people" is not an option for folks who work for a living.
Thirdly, if I seem to have strong feelings on this topic it's because my wife and one of my sons work in the health profession. My son is a Dr. in Colorado and when I talked with him last night he says their hospital is once again filling up, primarily with "45-60 year old men who are unvaccinated." I hope they survive. I hope others like them get vaccinated for their own health, the health of our country, and so my family members from repeatedly being exposed to a deadly virus. If you don't think people are dying from C-19, I can give you my son's phone #.

First of all, I want to correct some misinformation in the above posts. It was stated in two posts above that polio was "much more dangerous" and "was extremely deadly" compared to Covid-19. No. Polio results from a VIRUS, folks. 72% of people exposed to the polio virus experience no symptoms. 25% experience mild, flu-like symptoms. 1-5% experience brain & systemic complications. Sound familiar, anyone? Oh, but at the peak of the polio epidemic, the US had 3,000 deaths in one year. We're now over 700,000 deaths in the US in 2 years. So please stop spreading misinformation.
Secondly, the idea that we all live in a bubble and can avoid C-19 by just "avoiding people" is not an option for folks who work for a living.
Thirdly, if I seem to have strong feelings on this topic it's because my wife and one of my sons work in the health profession. My son is a Dr. in Colorado and when I talked with him last night he says their hospital is once again filling up, primarily with "45-60 year old men who are unvaccinated." I hope they survive. I hope others like them get vaccinated for their own health, the health of our country, and so my family members from repeatedly being exposed to a deadly virus. If you don't think people are dying from C-19, I can give you my son's phone #.

The data is very clear how Covid affects those who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. “Breakthrough” cases are hardly rare so I ask again; how does an unvaccinated person poise a risk to you and your family.
The data is very clear how Covid affects those who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. “Breakthrough” cases are far from rare so I ask again; how does an unvaccinated person poise a risk to you and your family?

Last edited: