Olesani needs to be the focus of our offense

BILLBUCKNER

We should be running our offense thru him. He demonstrated what an offensive threat he is on the block against MSU(who will battle Wiscy for the BIG). We need to pound the ball down low to him. If the defense collapses, he throws it out to Jok or Uthoff for open 3s. White can clean up misses and be the garbage man that he thrives at. The 2nd half against MSU went south because our idiot guards stopped getting the ball to Olesani. He had 2 shots in the 2nd half???? Really. Woody's minutes should be limited. The only thing he brings to the table is defense. We really need to defend the 3 better and stop giving wide open looks. We have the best big man in Olesani besides kaminsky..Its time to ride that horse.

MSU also did a much better job of denying entry passes to Olaseni in the second half. We tried going to him several times, and it resulted in deflections or turnovers every time.

Yeah, maybe those like Wolfgang who think that Woody doesn't score because of floor spacing, might want to take a look at what Olesani does in the post. He gets position, they feed him the ball, he turns and scores. All things that Woody just doesn't do. I really think he has it in his head so much that he is gonna get blocked that he doesn't even try post moves. He actually gets the ball 17' from the basket and tries to do these stupid slow azz pump fakes and then tries to dribble drive to the basket that ends up getting rejected by the bottom of the rim.

The staffs development of Woody has been poor. Get him in the post, keep him in the post for Gawd's sake. Look at Niang, he is 6'6 and he can score in the post. You don't have to jump out the gym to have post moves that work. Bigs develop slower, I get that, but the staff has really mucked this one up.

Gabe has scored 18 pts in each of the previous 2 games. I'm not sure what more you expect to gain by "running the offense through him". You think he would score 45 or 50? College coaches can shut down any team that tries to go 1 dimensional.

Leave it as it is. Gabe is a monster who is just getting better and better every game. Gawd how I wish he woulda been redshirted.............

Gabe has scored 18 pts in each of the previous 2 games. I'm not sure what more you expect to gain by "running the offense through him". You think he would score 45 or 50? College coaches can shut down any team that tries to go 1 dimensional.

Leave it as it is. Gabe is a monster who is just getting better and better every game. Gawd how I wish he woulda been redshirted.............

Have to agree with this

Thats why we need to make him the foucus...I don't expect him to score everytime he touches the ball. But when defenses collapse on him,we should have spot up shooters ready to recieve the ball and get easy looks. Or he can dump the ball to White for the easy flush. We will really miss Olie next year. Hopefully the light bulb goes off for Woody by then.

MSU also did a much better job of denying entry passes to Olaseni in the second half. We tried going to him several times, and it resulted in deflections or turnovers every time.

^^ this was the true fact about the game and Fran and the hawks didnt adjust. we kept trying to force it where there was at least one more defender and it led to turnovers.

MSU clogged the lane and said "beat us from the outside, give us your best shots but we are gambling you cant make them because we know you cant shoot". And it worked

Fran needed to have Woody and Gabe move out from the low post a lot in the second half to the elbow or baseline and post up a revolving door of players underneath and let woody (who can pass) and gabe feed the post or even try some decent 15 footers.

I thought Fran was slow to react to MSU's changes but it also points to the players not seeing this and reacting.

Thats why we need to make him the foucus...I don't expect him to score everytime he touches the ball. But when defenses collapse on him,we should have spot up shooters ready to recieve the ball and get easy looks. Or he can dump the ball to White for the easy flush. We will really miss Olie next year. Hopefully the light bulb goes off for Woody by then.

The light bulb went off after the North Carolina game. I'm hoping it goes back on. :)

^^ this was the true fact about the game and Fran and the hawks didnt adjust. we kept trying to force it where there was at least one more defender and it led to turnovers.

MSU clogged the lane and said "beat us from the outside, give us your best shots but we are gambling you cant make them because we know you cant shoot". And it worked

Fran needed to have Woody and Gabe move out from the low post a lot in the second half to the elbow or baseline and post up a revolving door of players underneath and let woody (who can pass) and gabe feed the post or even try some decent 15 footers.

I thought Fran was slow to react to MSU's changes but it also points to the players not seeing this and reacting.

Jok does a real good job getting the ball to Olie by utilizing the bounce pass to the block. Most of the passes deflected were not bounce passes.

It's probably a pretty rare thing for people to want the offense to run through the backup center. Kinda a strange situation.

Gabe should definitely start the second half. I also think Fran missed an opportunity to get Gabe and Woody into the game together. He did this for a short period in the second half. We had MSUs bigs in foul trouble and this could have been an opportunity to put some pressure on them down low.

It's probably a pretty rare thing for people to want the offense to run through the backup center. Kinda a strange situation.

He is a backup in name only. His offensive ability is way ahead of Woody..You tell me who a better big is than Olesani other than Kaminsky in the BIG.

True, however, there were several times in the 2nd half when Gabe was wide open off pick & rolls and we wouldn't pass it to him.

We should be running our offense thru him. He demonstrated what an offensive threat he is on the block against MSU(who will battle Wiscy for the BIG). We need to pound the ball down low to him. If the defense collapses, he throws it out to Jok or Uthoff for open 3s. White can clean up misses and be the garbage man that he thrives at. The 2nd half against MSU went south because our idiot guards stopped getting the ball to Olesani. He had 2 shots in the 2nd half???? Really. Woody's minutes should be limited. The only thing he brings to the table is defense. We really need to defend the 3 better and stop giving wide open looks. We have the best big man in Olesani besides kaminsky..Its time to ride that horse.

It starts with Gabe playing 30 min. Per game and sitting the 4 star under the rim playing starting center.

At this rate, by the end of the year you can drop the "other than Kaminski" part.

I think by the end Gabe could be a little better than Kaminsky inside, but a big reason Kaminsky is so incredibly tough to defend is his ability to step out and hit a good percentage of three pointers. Gabe's not going to be doing any of that.

maybe run a few more sets for him.......to become the focal point of the offense? I do not think he is offensively skilled enough for that. Given an option I would rather have it run through Uthoff if anybody.

Gabe should definitely start the second half.
I agree with this. The beginning of games doesn't seem to be problematic for Iowa. Starters don't matter as much to me to begin the game.

Need energy guys to start the second half.

Latest posts