'Old School' Football

SCHawkeye2

Watching the game on BTN,, I was struck by how often the announcers referred to 'Iowa Football'' as "old school" or similar inferences.
Quoted BF and having a goal of gaining 4 yds per play and grinding down opponents.

It's 2017.
Woody Hayes called and wants his playbook back.

Watching the game on BTN,, I was struck by how often the announcers referred to 'Iowa Football'' as "old school" or similar inferences.
Quoted BF and having a goal of gaining 4 yds per play and grinding down opponents.

It's 2017.
Do you really think the goal is gaining 4 yds per play?

It's 2017.

Wisconsin and to a much higher level Alabama still does this. Iowa needs tweaks, but the premise is still valid.

Defense is still king.

Wisconsin and to a much higher level Alabama still does this. Iowa needs tweaks, but the premise is still valid.

Defense is still king.
I agree the premise may be valid if you have the talent of Alabama.
I don't believe we have (or will have) that level of talent.
Therefore, I dont' believe the premise is valid for Iowa.

I agree the premise may be valid if you have the talent of Alabama.
I don't believe we have (or will have) that level of talent.
Therefore, I dont' believe the premise is valid for Iowa.

Fair enough. Wisc has done pretty well though, and I do think we can have that level of talent.

Power, with play action...but with tweaks.

It's 2017.

Iowa's running game has never looked like OSU under Hayes.

Don't think they said the goal was 4 yards but Brian is content with the gain being 4 yards as it is more manageable for the other downs. For instance if the Hawks are running a pass play and Stanley goes through his progressions and his first choices are covered if he checks down and is able to get 4 yards that would be considered a positive play. A dropped pass or a bad route would not be. The X factor is always going to be what the defense is going to do and there are going to be times where the defensive player just makes a good play and an Iowa player just doesn't excute his job.

Don't think they said the goal was 4 yards but Brian is content with the gain being 4 yards as it is more manageable for the other downs. For instance if the Hawks are running a pass play and Stanley goes through his progressions and his first choices are covered if he checks down and is able to get 4 yards that would be considered a positive play. A dropped pass or a bad route would not be. The X factor is always going to be what the defense is going to do and there are going to be times where the defensive player just makes a good play and an Iowa player just doesn't excute his job.

You have it right and we will continue to play old school football under Brian if he takes over the program but play a more modern version of it. Mason got hung up on Iowa getting the running game going while not really paying attention to what we did in the passing game which the BTN studio guys seemed to get in their post game. I like power football as much as the next guy but you have to compliment it with an effective passing game. If you throw an incomplete pass on first down which Mason frowned on I see it as no different than running into a stacked front for no gain on first.

Iowa's running game has been more like old school circa 25 to 30 years ago. This year they have been running more from the shotgun than I have seen in the past.

I like it and think we will continue to see the running game evolve. Another poster here made a great point in a different thread that the focus turned to developing the passing game with Brian taking over the OC role and bringing in Copeland who I think will end up as a very key addition to this staff. Brian coordinated the running game before the move up and I have full confidence he will continue to make tweaks to it. This offense I think will slowly evolve into looking very different within the pro style framework Kirk established. Well worth the growing pains we see now.

Latest posts