Olaseni

Gabe did more bad things then good things on the road against the number 2 team in the nation but he definitely showed some promise. If he keeps improving like this he will be getting all of McCabe's minutes by the end of the year.

No way. I don't think McCabe loses minutes to Gabe. McCabe is limited athletically but he can do a lot more things than Gabe to help a team.

I can not understand why Woody was not on the floor more. Of all the Hawks out there, I think he was looking the best.

Woody doesn't have the stamina or strength to play more than 20 min per game at this point. That's not at all uncommon for freshman post players. The difference between the physicality in college post play versus HS post play is every bit as big as the difference between HS and college line play in football.

No way. I don't think McCabe loses minutes to Gabe. McCabe is limited athletically but he can do a lot more things than Gabe to help a team.

I agree that right now he can. I just think Gabe is closing the gap quickly and will pass him by years end. I don't think its a sure thing, just a very good possibility.

I cannot say I disagree, what I see on the court is fixable and will improve with experience. I think the talent is there, just not the technique.

I have to agree with this. He is one of the most athletic players on the team. He just needs more time to gain experience playing the game & coaching. I really think that he should have been redshirted last year. He will give us good minutes next year, and he will be a player his senior year.

Sorry, but if he's a good athlete, it doesn't take years to figure out blocking out. One of the basics. I can teach 8 yo's how to do it consistently. 18 yo's, either do it or they don't. These guys play one heck of a lot of basketball. The best way to learn is to play against people who know how to do it in practice...hmmmm

So you think a 6'11 guy who can dunk between his legs and behind his back isn't athletic?

Blocking out has zero to do with athletic ability. Really the more athletic you are the more you can get away with out blocking out.

So you think a 6'11 guy who can dunk between his legs and behind his back isn't athletic?

Blocking out has zero to do with athletic ability. Really the more athletic you are the more you can get away with out blocking out.

Good athlete involves being able to use it. In college you can't get away without blocking out unless you are taller than everyone and then iffy. There are a lot of good athletes that never succeed in high school, much less college.

Good athlete involves being able to use it. In college you can't get away without blocking out unless you are taller than everyone and then iffy. There are a lot of good athletes that never succeed in high school, much less college.

Contradiction.

A good athlete is someone who has athleticism. A good player is someone who is good at a sport.

Contradiction.

A good athlete is someone who has athleticism. A good player is someone who is good at a sport.

This. (Hypothetical) Adrian Peterson sucks at boxing out and other basic basketball fundamentals. He must not be a good athlete.

I doubt AP would get beat in a basketball game by not boxing out. You are either competitive or you are not. Competitiveness is a part of being an athlete. They want to win and dominate whoever they are playing.

I doubt AP would get beat in a basketball game by not boxing out. You are either competitive or you are not. Competitiveness is a part of being an athlete. They want to win and dominate whoever they are playing.

You don't seem to be getting what they are saying. Competitiveness is not part of being an athlete, it is part of being a player. The two are not necessarily the same thing. There can be athletic freaks of nature that never become good players.

You don't seem to be getting what they are saying. Competitiveness is not part of being an athlete, it is part of being a player. The two are not necessarily the same thing. There can be athletic freaks of nature that never become good players.

This. JFC, you'd think it was rocket science.

For year 2, Im surprised how he doesnt play stronger. This is his 2nd Big 10 season. I did laugh a bit too when they said on TV he had only been playing the game for 5-6 years. I was expecting more out of him after what I had been told he was going to do.

Who gets more minutes next year... him or the kid redshirting?

For year 2, Im surprised how he doesnt play stronger. This is his 2nd Big 10 season. I did laugh a bit too when they said on TV he had only been playing the game for 5-6 years. I was expecting more out of him after what I had been told he was going to do.

Who gets more minutes next year... him or the kid redshirting?

Gabe, he will be ready to make contributions in B1G play, Meyer will have a big role the following year after Basabe/McCabe graduate. That said, it will be nice to have three guys 6'9" and taller to play the Center spot.

When Gabe doesn't think now, he looks good, but as conference play goes and the competition is far better the game looks to be moving for him too fast at times. The potential is still there and I am still surprised he wasn't redshirted last season.

This. JFC, you'd think it was rocket science.

For some, it just might be. How many 3-sport athletes are all-state, or highly regarded in every sport they are in? It isn't uncommon for a player to be a great athlete, but not a great player in all sports.

Latest posts