Olaseni making strides

Very excited to see his development from last year to this year. I may be in the minority but I can see him being a name in the B1G in a year or two.

I believe Gabe will be the biggest surprise of Fran's early tenure. He has the physical tools and the smarts to develop into a star. I'd lay money now, that he'll play in the NBA.

He must really have improved over the summer. The Gabe Olaseni I remember did have an offensive game. A little confidence can go a long way. I cant wait to see the Olaseni 2.0.

I would like to see him put on a few more lbs for sure but I'm with you guys, he is going to be a great player. I like that we will be able to have 2 legit big men on the court at a time if we want to. We should be able to match up well with a lot of different styles of teams and also create major match up problems in the future.

When this guy is a senior we are going to wish we had redshirted him earlier in his career. I bet he will be very solid his last two years. Gabe didn't need to play last year when we had Archie. I bet Fran will somewhat regret that decision.

I believe Gabe will be the biggest surprise of Fran's early tenure. He has the physical tools and the smarts to develop into a star. I'd lay money now, that he'll play in the NBA.

I don't know about that hawkdrummer. Pump the brakes maybe on this one.. If he turns out like lets say Jarryd Cole I'd be pleased. But the NBA?? I just don't see that broski.. Love your confidence in him though and I hope you are correct.

i would love to see gabe have a good yr...but my money is on ogelsby being the biggest surprise...people are talking about how gabe could be so good that it is shaping up that if he isnt he will be a disappointment but not a surprise if he is good.

i dont think many are looking at how much jo could bring which will make him a surprise.
1) only true or pure shooter - needed with loss of gatens
2) good defender - he could turn into a better defender than people give him credit for. he is long and quicker than mg was...he has the tools if he can put it together.
3) ballhandling - he will be the 3rd or 4th best ballhandler on the team and we will need guys that can handle if we want to run a lot.

hope gabe does great but my money is on jo surprising as i think he could end up starting.

I don't know about that hawkdrummer. Pump the brakes maybe on this one.. If he turns out like lets say Jarryd Cole I'd be pleased. But the NBA?? I just don't see that broski.. Love your confidence in him though and I hope you are correct.

Jarryd Cole with Gabe's height and wingspan is an NBA player.

I'm drinkin' the koolaid baby! :D

i would love to see gabe have a good yr...but my money is on ogelsby being the biggest surprise...people are talking about how gabe could be so good that it is shaping up that if he isnt he will be a disappointment but not a surprise if he is good.i dont think many are looking at how much jo could bring which will make him a surprise.1) only true or pure shooter - needed with loss of gatens2) good defender - he could turn into a better defender than people give him credit for. he is long and quicker than mg was...he has the tools if he can put it together.3) ballhandling - he will be the 3rd or 4th best ballhandler on the team and we will need guys that can handle if we want to run a lot.hope gabe does great but my money is on jo surprising as i think he could end up starting.
JO was not a good defender and was not quicker than matt was as a freshman. If he makes the strides matt did on D he'll be astruggle great asset to the future of this team but i dont agree with these 2 points of your assessment.

I can see Olaseni making the NBA. It is pretty obvious that Iowa can have a lot better team this year if they can shore up the center position. With Gabes athletic abilities, I think the coaching staff will put in the time this off season develop both Olaseni and Woodbury. I think the whole team will be improved. Each position on the team this year has a couple of players that can really push each other.
To be an NBA player requires you to be a good basketball player, but it is a necessity to be a great athlete. The great athletes that develop leave school early and are drafted early. Last years players drafted were loaded with guys that were just beginning to tap into their basketball potential, but they were all great athletes.

i would love to see gabe have a good yr...but my money is on ogelsby being the biggest surprise...people are talking about how gabe could be so good that it is shaping up that if he isnt he will be a disappointment but not a surprise if he is good.

i dont think many are looking at how much jo could bring which will make him a surprise.
1) only true or pure shooter - needed with loss of gatens
2) good defender - he could turn into a better defender than people give him credit for. he is long and quicker than mg was...he has the tools if he can put it together.
3) ballhandling - he will be the 3rd or 4th best ballhandler on the team and we will need guys that can handle if we want to run a lot.

hope gabe does great but my money is on jo surprising as i think he could end up starting.
Playing against Woody seems to have helped both of them. I didn't realize he had a 7'3" wingspan. He could be a significant factor on D this season. Having him back around the basket when we press will certainly help if the press is broken.....

He will become more comfortable on offense as the season goes on. It would be a huge bonus if we can count on him to score a basket now and then.....

I really like Josh. His D improved as the season progressed. He is a smart player and will learn quickly this season and next. Matt G's D started getting better his Junior year and he excelled at times last year. His D helped win some games, same as his threes. Josh might have been the best passer on the team last season. He is sure-handed with the ball and handles it very well. He is not the quickest with the ball but his skill is superior. As I have mentioned before his form is almost textbook and his turnaround fadeaway jump shot in the middle is a thing of beauty.....

This is going to be a fun season, and it can't get here soon enough.....

i really hope gabe can be a huge shot blocker because either him or basabe need to be if white is guarding a wing because he will struggle guarding those types as he will be out matched in quickness (his length will help but once they have the ball he will be disadvantaged).

jo isnt incredibly quick with the ball but he is quick without it and is quicker than mg was on defense. mg used his strength and was a smart defender...i believe jo really studied mg's offense and defensive game and we will see vast improvement.

these 2 will be the x-factors as if they play up to potential we will be really good.

Now that we all agree GO is at some point going to have a break-out game (16 pts 12 rbs and 4 blocked shots along with 4 dunks...)

is it next year or the year after?

This year only 10, 7, 3 and 3.

Latest posts