OL Recruiting Concerns

CJSHawk

It looks like we'll sign three offensive linemen in the 2014 class.

-Keegan Render
-Lucas LeGrand
-Ross Reynolds(Hasn't committed yet, but was offered today)

While I hope our coaching staff can turn them into All-B1G players, I'm disappointed given our reputation at the OL position. I've heard Ferentz say multiple times that OL recruiting was a real emphasis this year because scholarships were "borrowed" from the OL recently to address needs at other positions. With this increased emphasis this is the best we can do? I realize the 2012 disaster of a season is impacting recruiting, but should it effect OL recruiting given our track record for turning out NFL linemen? Obviously the Ross P. decommitment stings, but we can't even convince a player to pick us over Western Michigan!!!

I hadn't seen that Okorafor committed to Western Michigan. That surprises me since he had a ton of good D1 offers. The kid probably didn't want to leave the state and Michigan and Michigan State didn't offer. To be fair though to Render and Legrand, they're pretty good prospects in their own right. They're both ranked higher than Okorafor is. Don't know a lot about Reynolds but looks to have good size, maybe another Connor Boffeli type.

I wonder sometimes too how Iowa doesn't get at least a couple 4 stars every year with their track record. I don't worry about it too much though. Ferentz has shown he can turn these kids into elite lineman after a few years on campus. They did get a good one last year in Ryan Ward who sounds like he's ready to step into the mix.

I hadn't seen that Okorafor committed to Western Michigan. That surprises me since he had a ton of good D1 offers. The kid probably didn't want to leave the state and Michigan and Michigan State didn't offer. To be fair though to Render and Legrand, they're pretty good prospects in their own right. They're both ranked higher than Okorafor is. Don't know a lot about Reynolds but looks to have good size, maybe another Connor Boffeli type.

I wonder sometimes too how Iowa doesn't get at least a couple 4 stars every year with their track record. I don't worry about it too much though. Ferentz has shown he can turn these kids into elite lineman after a few years on campus. They did get a good one last year in Ryan Ward who sounds like he's ready to step into the mix.

Based on what I read today it looks like he'll end up at WMU.

I don't know....maybe I'm making too much out of this, but it seems to me we have a lot to offer talented high school offensive linemen. Hopefully next year will be a more successful recruiting year. I think it needs to be!!

Okorafor committed early to Western Michigan. It is close to famiiy and he feels important to stay close. Those are reasons he is staying at WMU instead of going to Iowa or Oklahoma or other offers he may have.

I respect that he has identified his priorities and staying with his first choice.

As far as OL recruiting, there are two walkons who are doing very well. We may see them on depth chart. Croston has already been there a time or two.

Okorafor committed early to Western Michigan. It is close to famiiy and he feels important to stay close. Those are reasons he is staying at WMU instead of going to Iowa or Oklahoma or other offers he may have.

I respect that he has identified his priorities and staying with his first choice.

As far as OL recruiting, there are two walkons who are doing very well. We may see them on depth chart. Croston has already been there a time or two.

I respect that as well.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think every talented O-linemen in the Midwest should be beating down Iowa's door. It just seems like we're swinging and missing on offensive linemen a lot more than we should be!!

I respect that as well.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think every talented O-linemen in the Midwest should be beating down Iowa's door. It just seems like we're swinging and missing on offensive linemen a lot more than we should be!!

i agree with you and it seems like iowa should be able to recruit OL and RBs with the best of them.

that being said, if you 'star count' on the current OL and next years OL, the line is loaded with 4* guys. so it's not like iowa has been swinging and missing in totality.

Iowa borrowed OL spots for WR spots last year, according to the head man himself on a wednesday call in show.

i agree with you and it seems like iowa should be able to recruit OL and RBs with the best of them.

that being said, if you 'star count' on the current OL and next years OL, the line is loaded with 4* guys. so it's not like iowa has been swinging and missing in totality.

Iowa borrowed OL spots for WR spots last year, according to the head man himself on a wednesday call in show.

Agreed! The current line is full of guys who were heavily recruited(Scherff, Blythe, Ward, Walsh, etc.) My concern is the freshman and current commitments weren't heavily recruited which might mean we'll have a talent issue on the O-line in 3/4 years.

Just a side note on the Paulsens..........Iowa sport's writers didn't vote either of them to their INA All-State 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team in their class A category this year. Not to make anything of it but just thought it was a bit strange.

Just a side note on the Paulsens..........Iowa sport's writers didn't vote either of them to their INA All-State 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team in their class A category this year. Not to make anything of it but just thought it was a bit strange.

That is weird!

Odd on the Paulsens......also, didn't someone else on here say a while back that LeGrand is not all that impressive?

OL is something we are good at growing. I think maybe m Nelson ends up at OT. He's going to fill out. We will be ok.

Wasn't Ike Boettger moved to OL as well? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong about that.

Boettger is still listed as a TE but I remember hearing he was working with the OL during the season. Mitch Keppy is a kid who redshirted last year as well. I'm pretty sure his dad played at Iowa. He's a big kid at 6'-5" 295 lbs. He was also a first team all conference wrestler.

Wasn't Ike Boettger moved to OL as well? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong about that.

I remember reading that somewhere as well. If he can carry the extra weight well he should be an athletic tackle. The same goes for Nelson if he makes the position switch.

Latest posts