Okay Bluder...

Better defense, for sure, but also a continued reduction in turnovers. I know she had like 9 TOs vs S.Carolina. She really struggled with TOs last year, and seemed better this year, but her constant gambles with her passes are both brilliant and terrible -- often in the same quarter.

Her willingness to try daring passes keeps her teammates' heads on swivels and encourages them to sprint the court. It also leads to lots of highlights. But there has to be a balance, and sometimes she gets on the wrong side of that balance (I think she approached double-digit TOs in the last 3 games of the tournament run).

Her asst/TO has progressed from 1.5 to 1.7 to 2.1 across her 3 years. If she could push that up to 2.5+, that would be huge.

I can't remember where I was reading this article, but there was talk that CC has her senior year and COVID year left and she has left the door open to come back both years. At first, I thought, "Why? Go to the WNBA and make your money."

Although I was unaware of the disparity with compensation. I think the article said the average NBA player makes $250 K. The article went on to say that with NIL deals from Nike, H&R Block, Buick, and Hy-Vee to name a few, CC makes over a million in NIL deals alone. Her summer basketball camps have sold out as well.

With that, I can definitely see why she is willing to stay for both years. Hopefully, with the exposure the Hawkeyes received with their run, style of play and the opportunity to play with one of the best college players in the game, we can get someone in the portal.

Barring some major scandal, those NIL deals will not go away once she goes to the WNBA. After next year she might want a new challenge or she could come back for another year. Either way, that money is going to be there.

Perhaps a more interesting question than portal acquisitions...where does Clark go from here?

Bluder's previous superstars (Logic, Disterhoff, Gustafson) all continued to improve across all 4 years. I kept thinking, "What more can they do?", and they all kept growing.

Is that even possible with Clark? If so, what does that look like?

edit: left off some other obvious, recent superstars with patterns of dramatic improvement (Czinano, Doyle)...no offense intended, I am sure I am missing others as well

In your opinion, would it hurt her to get physically stronger? I'm not talking a massive 20+ lbs...I'm thinking more of the 3 to 6 lbs. range of mass and/or muscle.

In your opinion, would it hurt her to get physically stronger? I'm not talking a massive 20+ lbs...I'm thinking more of the 3 to 6 lbs. range of mass and/or muscle.

They said she put on 9 lbs from last year, I think more muscle is always good. Like you said, 3-6lb range.

Two of her strengths (quickness and ball-handling) are going to have to get even better to counter what teams throw at her next year.

Barring some major scandal, those NIL deals will not go away once she goes to the WNBA. After next year she might want a new challenge or she could come back for another year. Either way, that money is going to be there.

I also read somewhere that she volunteers at some food pantry in the area. Apparently, they wanted to pay her, but has declined. I get she is making alot of money, but I also think this gives you a bit more of the perspective of the person, Caitlyn Clark.

Her willingness to try daring passes keeps her teammates' heads on swivels and encourages them to sprint the court. It also leads to lots of highlights. But there has to be a balance, and sometimes she gets on the wrong side of that balance (I think she approached double-digit TOs in the last 3 games of the tournament run).

Her asst/TO has progressed from 1.5 to 1.7 to 2.1 across her 3 years. If she could push that up to 2.5+, that would be huge.
If she had better athletes to play with she would have less T/Os as her brilliant passes wouldn't be fumbled out of bounds.

I also read somewhere that she volunteers at some food pantry in the area. Apparently, they wanted to pay her, but has declined. I get she is making alot of money, but I also think this gives you a bit more of the perspective of the person, Caitlyn Clark.
The WNBA is not a step up for college players. Bad facilities, budget travel, and low per diems and budget hotels. Not even in the same ballpark as the NBA or even the G-League. The new norm is to stay in school as long as possible for NIL and actually playing overseas can be a better option.

I have an NIL and scholarship question.

I have heard that Clark's NIL money may balloon from $150k a year to as much as $750k. If that is true, does Clark even need a scholarship? Or for the good of the team, could Clark give up her Scholarship to another player that Iowa is trying to recruit from the portal. Or would that be illegal somehow? I don't really understand the current rules.

I have heard that Clark's NIL money may balloon from $150k a year to as much as $750k. If that is true, does Clark even need a scholarship? Or for the good of the team, could Clark give up her Scholarship to another player that Iowa is trying to recruit from the portal. Or would that be illegal somehow? I don't really understand the current rules.
I have a similar question. Since Iowa has a such a 'family atmosphere' and no one want to leave the team -- not to mention the NIL money each women's player is getting, which ain't peanuts -- I was wondering if a bench player could give up their scholarship, become a walk-on, yet continue to receive NIL money like the other women players who have a scholarship? My impression is that SWARM could provide whatever Bluder wants to do, at this point.

I have a similar question. Since Iowa has a such a 'family atmosphere' and no one want to leave the team -- not to mention the NIL money each women's player is getting, which ain't peanuts -- I was wondering if a bench player could give up their scholarship, become a walk-on, yet continue to receive NIL money like the other women players who have a scholarship? My impression is that SWARM could provide whatever Bluder wants to do, at this point.
IA WBB isn't just limited to Swarm $$ now. Caitlin can recruit others to her corporate sponsorships. The last 4 weeks have put Lady Hawks on every major companies' marketing departments' radars.

What you heard is grossly low, I would assume her Hy-vee money is that alone. Add her Buick, Nike, clothing line, and more it’s like 2 to 3 milllion.

Here's an article from Charlie Creme of ESPN.com that lists the top 20 women's basketball players in the transfer portal.

In the article he states that every team in this year's Sweet 16, except Iowa, had at least one starter who came to the team via the portal.

There are two top players listed at 6'3" and one at 6'5", from AZ, NC St and UNC, respectively. Interesting side note: Those of you who are as old as i am will recall a certain Steve "Special K" Krafcisin who transferred to Iowa from a UNC team that had gone to the Final Four, and helped Iowa to the Final Four in 1980. So how nice would it be for the Iowa women to replicate that?

Nothing against the returning players! And obviously a transfer in would have to fit with the incredible family atmosphere that permeates the Hawks. But as the earlier posters in this stream said, Ms. Clark is a generational talent, and the Hawks need to find replacements for Czinano and Warnock, who are ready to be stars next season. What post player wouldn't want to come to Iowa and feast off feeds from Caitlin Clark?

No question Coach Bluder is "doing okay." :) And yes, it's just a day after the national title game. But these transfer students are being courted by other schools right now. And, as noted be ESPN's Creme, every other team but the Hawks that made the Sweet 16 had at least one starter from the portal. No other team is better situated to be attractive to top post players than the Hawks. It just makes sense to take advantage of the transfer portal.
Lauren Betts 6'7" Stanford center in the portal. From Colorado. high school teammate...Addison O'Grady

That could be a big test for Iowa's "family". Hey Iowa bench player, not only do we want you to give up your chance at more playing time, we also want you to give up your Scholly and pay for your own education with NIL dollars instead.

Maybe it could work, I guess, if the player really loves Iowa and really wants Iowa to win the national championship. Maybe the player just wants to graduate from Iowa where all her friends are. Who knows. But it won't work if her main goal is to get more playing time.

I don't know a lot about Iowa's bench players, and I don't know if G Davis has a C-19 year left or not (I see she's listed as a Sr.) But she has not impressed me this year: she doesn't turn the ball over a lot (unless she's pressed), but she's not a great shooter, not quick, not fast, and doesn't bring a lot to the table other than giving CC a blow. I think she transferred to Iowa, so doubt she'd be excited to transfer again for just 1 year somewhere else. Fr. G McCabe, on the other hand, is taller and her ceiling seems high. It will be really interesting to see how Bluder handles the portal and scholarships.

Agree 100%. Iowa has a 1-2 year widow having the best player in the game. Lisa Bluder needs to do whatever it takes to bring in the top porthole players. Understand the scholarship availability could be a speed bump. There has to be ways to open up scholarships

Just read that Bluder just got a raise from $838,000 to $964,000. Also got a $310,000 bonus for making a Final Four. Other bonuses (longevity, conference championship, etc) will put her at $1.6 million this season. She should ask for a percentage of next year's ticket sales.

Just read that Bluder just got a raise from $838,000 to $964,000. Also got a $310,000 bonus for making a Final Four. Other bonuses (longevity, conference championship, etc) will put her at $1.6 million this season. She should ask for a percentage of next year's ticket sales.
She should ask for 36k per point averaged like BF is getting. She'd make more than anyone besides his dad.

Latest posts