OK who is the best QB all-time (follow up on "evolution of QB position")

uihawk82

NOt sure if this should be in football, pro football or general football.

The evolution of QB position got me thinking and posting on QBs.

Who do you think was/is the greatest and why, what skills and abiilites do you think made them the best?

I vote for Marino. I think he was the best pure passer, great pocket presense and ability to move in pocket led to few sacks, quick release, threw darts and threw a great long bomb. Could run with the ball early before the injuries.

I think the greatest college QB of all time was Tommie Frazier.

I think the greatest NFL QB of all time was Joe Montana.

as much as i dislike the huskers, hard to argue against Frazier. the dude owned college football.

college = Frazier (my personal fav is Charlie Ward)

pro = Montana (for now)

if Brady wins another one, or Manning for that matter, i'd have to more either of them ahead.

thejumper5, what is your reasoning?

I think both guys ran their systems as well as a QB could possibly be expected too. They both were guys who won guys for their teams rather than simply managing the game. There are a number of guys who are close in both college and the NFL, but for leading amazing dynasties, I give these two the nod.

Still Joe Montana. If him, Rice, and John Taylor played together with the rules today, they wouldn't even need a RB on the roster.

Peyton Manning will be by the time it is all said and done. The guy is basically the offensive coordinator and quarterback. Johnny Unitas did amazing things at a time when they didn't have the rules favoring the offense like today. Montana is probably not the best regular season quarterback but he is a straight up assassin in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Then Elway and Marino. That would be my top 5, in no particular order.

College is too difficult because there are too many systems and QBs to name all of the greats, let alone pick one.

NFL, I'd have to go with Elway. Obviously, Marino, Montana, Manning, and many others have been better pure passers, but the guy was an absolute nightmare for defenses. He generally had crappy teams and he got three pretty bad teams to the Super Bowl in four years and then at the end of his career was able to put it together twice in a row. On top of that, the city of Denver totally crapped on the guy for many years but he still went out there and busted his butt where a lot of other guys would have quit. I loved his trade demand when he said he would just go play baseball (which he likely would have been awesome at as well) but I think it set a bad precedent that Eli Manning used when he pouted his way into a trade from SD to NY. Elway was a born leader and a guy who would do anything to win.

Watch this Vandenbergesque pass to cap off The Drive:

[video=youtube;bypo-WhahYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypo-WhahYo[/video]

Pro: Peyton Manning
College: Johnny Manziel

Manziel? Really? In his 13 games, he's had a better career than those who played dozens more games than him? He's the best ahead of Tommie Frazier, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Colt McCoy, and Cam Newton (just to name a few)?

Latest posts