Ok what's wrong with this kid?

Why is there something "wrong" with a kid if he's not rated 4-stars by rivals or scout or recruited by another perceived national powerhouse?

Why is there something "wrong" with a kid if he's not rated 4-stars by rivals or scout or recruited by another perceived national powerhouse?

I think what the OP is saying his how does a kid that is as well built as him who put up over 1000 yards as a junior and 1700 as a senior not get more high major offers. That is what he is confused about. I understand this wasn't one of the big football factories but still...how does he get overlooked with those stats. Was this against 7 on 7 competition?

I have rarely seen a highschool WR with over 2700 yards in his last two years.

I think what the OP is saying his how does a kid that is as well built as him who put up over 1000 yards as a junior and 1700 as a senior not get more high major offers. That is what he is confused about. I understand this wasn't one of the big football factories but still...how does he get overlooked with those stats. Was this against 7 on 7 competition?

I have rarely seen a highschool WR with over 2700 yards in his last two years.
Yes we realize what the OP is saying. And you repeating it doesn't make it less silly. Scholarships ARE NOT handed out based on stats alone. Kirk, doesn't hand out scholarships based on who else offers. Clark, Greenway, Sanders, Yanda, Nelson, Myers, Reisner, Considine, Babineaux, Kasper, etc. Go look up their offer list and ponder for a while.

Yes we realize what the OP is saying. And you repeating it doesn't make it less silly. Scholarships ARE NOT handed out based on stats alone. Kirk, doesn't hand out scholarships based on who else offers. Clark, Greenway, Sanders, Yanda, Nelson, Myers, Reisner, Considine, Babineaux, Kasper, etc. Go look up their offer list and ponder for a while.

UMMMMMM, good luck with that one.

A kid who has these kinds of measurables and those kinds of stats, in Texas, typically would have several big offers (one would assume, anyway). The fact that he doesn't makes the OP's question relatively fair. Is he considered way too slow? Does he have some kind of character red flag that scared teams off? I'm not saying I think he does. You just don't usually have a player like this out of Texas just fall into your lap.

A kid who has these kinds of measurables and those kinds of stats, in Texas, typically would have several big offers (one would assume, anyway). The fact that he doesn't makes the OP's question relatively fair. Is he considered way too slow? Does he have some kind of character red flag that scared teams off? I'm not saying I think he does. You just don't usually have a player like this out of Texas just fall into your lap.
You think every well-behaved kid in texas with size and stats has several BCS offers? Would you like to make a bet on that?

HAWKCENTRAL
As for the 6-4, 190-pound Hillyer, he burst on the recruiting scene after catching 18 touchdown passes and finishing with 1,648 receiving yards as a senior this fall. He reportedly had scholarships offers from Colorado State and Texas-El Paso but was starting to attract interest from bigger schools such as Texas A&M. . . . and this from the same article . . .
“Iowa is one of the top three schools in the country for evaluating and then developing (players),” Lemming said. “So if they like him, that’s means he’s going to be good.”
Lemming pointed out that Iowa was the first school to offer receiver Michael Crabtree a scholarship. Crabtree signed with Texas Tech and became a consensus all-America receiver. He now plays for the San Francisco 49ers.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the last line of the above paragraph, I had to laugh imagining the interactions between KF and Crabtree if he had come to Iowa instead of Texas Tech. He is many times more a high attitude receiver than DJK ever was.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am loving these big receivers that we are getting, especially since most corners are much smaller. Speed, while a nice luxery to have, is secondary to having good hands and willing to dive for balls etc. which I have read this kid does if necessary. A large target for JV, or Derby, or Ruddock et al to throw to is a satisfying trade off for speed IMO.

I love to read the posts from fellow Hawk fans. Always questioning everything and never happy. There are kids in Florida, California and Texas that will get overlooked because of shear numbers. Why is there something wrong? Good lord, if we get a kid, he must be weak, if we don't get a kid, we wonder why he didn't choose us. If we win by 10 it should have been 20. If our BB coach rants, whats wrong with him? If our BB coach didn't rant, he must not care. I could go on all day. Cabin fever? Too much time on your hands? Sanctamonious? Self-rightous? I have always wondered. If this kid has issues, which no one has said he does, he won't be here long. If he is the real deal, he will be playing on sundays some day. Lets sit back and watch what happens.

I love to read the posts from fellow Hawk fans. Always questioning everything and never happy. There are kids in Florida, California and Texas that will get overlooked because of shear numbers. Why is there something wrong? Good lord, if we get a kid, he must be weak, if we don't get a kid, we wonder why he didn't choose us. If we win by 10 it should have been 20. If our BB coach rants, whats wrong with him? If our BB coach didn't rant, he must not care. I could go on all day. Cabin fever? Too much time on your hands? Sanctamonious? Self-rightous? I have always wondered. If this kid has issues, which no one has said he does, he won't be here long. If he is the real deal, he will be playing on sundays some day. Lets sit back and watch what happens.
Agreed. Often it feels like two types of posters in Hawkdom.

1st group: They ask out a centerfold and she says yes. Their reaction? Yippee!

2nd group: (includes those who agree with the OP) They ask out a centerfold and she says yes. Their reaction? You said yes to a low self-esteem guy like me? Well their must be something wrong with you, so now I no longer view you as pretty.

All I said was typically we don't have a kid like that just fall into our lap. Just because not EVERY well-behaved kid in Texas with size and numbers gets offers from BCS schools doesn't mean that those kids fall through the cracks at a dozen/day clip. It doesn't happen often. Again, I said that I didn't think there was anything wrong with him. Just that asking that question isn't completely unreasonable.

And, given the events of 2 weeks ago with DJK, I would imagine that quite a few fans will put a recruit's character under the microscope. Hardly an unnatural response.

Last edited:

Latest posts