OK We Are Upset Over March Madness

Why Was March Madness Canceled

• It should be!

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • It's a big over reaction

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
I still got high school basketball-for now. Cuba City still undefeated and one win from state, but immediate families only allowed at the games.

EDIT: The Wisconsin WIAA has cancelled all remaining postseason games including the Platteville girls who were to play for a championship on Saturday

Last edited:
My answer really doesn't fit either category but I probably lean towards over reaction. This country needs sports, it keeps us entertained both in playing them and watching them. When I first heard of the spectators being banned I was disappointed but it made sense, let's keep this thing from spreading, my thinking was 'hey, I can still watch them on TV'. Now I'm gonna be bored but, OTOH, I understand why they are not playing the games. So the bottom line is I'm probably just being selfish and now I've got to get my lazy ass off the couch and find something else to do.

If it was about health/safety, earlier travel restrictions may not have been condemned.

Certainly travel from China, any citizen from China being barred from getting on an airplane heading to the US back in December would have helped. But remember the opthomologist in China who treated people and tried to get the word out about this new disease. He met extreme resistance from the Chinese govt and he eventually died from the illness.

This holding back of info is bad, dangerous.

The State of Ohio Public Health director stated yesterday that even though there are very few cases proven through testing they have tracked the flow to people with symptoms that lead them to calculate 10% of their population or 117,000 people will be in contact with the virus in just a week or two.

Airports like Seattle, Minneapolis, LA have tons of Chinese tourists and business people coming in all the time let alone others coming to the US from China.

Once the virus got into the US by mid to late January it was too late but maybe still better to limit travel from some locations.

It is stupid to bar travel from Europe but not bar Americans returning from Europe. But I am not sure what the legality is of barring US citizens from re-entering the country when an option is to quarantine them on their return.

US Citizens are not barred from traveling back Europe, that was clarified. I am concerned for our country - when the slightest thing hits, we go chicken shit. You've GOT to keep some sort of normalcy and resilience. Now I realize what we are made of. Our forefathers would be ashamed.

US Citizens are not barred from traveling back Europe, that was clarified. I am concerned for our country - when the slightest thing hits, we go chicken shit. You've GOT to keep some sort of normalcy and resilience. Now I realize what we are made of. Our forefathers would be ashamed.

Agreed, but I see the other side of it as well. If the general public would actually adhere to warnings and be a little more precautious things wouldn't reach the point they do.

This needs to be a lesson learned regarding national response to adversity in the future. Measured response trumps throwing stuff on wall hoping it sticks every time.

I was at ORD RNO and LAX little over two weeks ago.

ORD was a ghost town departing. RNO was a big jet w 15 passengers. Maybe 5 people staying at airport comfort inn. RNO to LAX was maybe 40 percent.

LAX was hopping at midnight...took the overnight. Jam packed.

ORD on return at 6 AM was packed for disembarking.

People coming home but not leaving.

Local hospitals have done zero testing.

City of Champaign taking steps to take over hotels for hospitals....no joke. Taking steps to stop gas sales. IL schools closed two weeks.

The bad part is the fans and players will never know how far they would of gotten in either tournament. The good part is the fans and players will never be disappointed if they would of lost the last two games. Personally, I think they would of been a tough out in the NCAA tournament just because of how hard they play.

Certainly travel from China, any citizen from China being barred from getting on an airplane heading to the US back in December would have helped. But remember the opthomologist in China who treated people and tried to get the word out about this new disease. He met extreme resistance from the Chinese govt and he eventually died from the illness.

This holding back of info is bad, dangerous.

The State of Ohio Public Health director stated yesterday that even though there are very few cases proven through testing they have tracked the flow to people with symptoms that lead them to calculate 10% of their population or 117,000 people will be in contact with the virus in just a week or two.

Airports like Seattle, Minneapolis, LA have tons of Chinese tourists and business people coming in all the time let alone others coming to the US from China.

Once the virus got into the US by mid to late January it was too late but maybe still better to limit travel from some locations.

It is stupid to bar travel from Europe but not bar Americans returning from Europe. But I am not sure what the legality is of barring US citizens from re-entering the country when an option is to quarantine them on their return.

The last part IS kind of "problematic". But, if I HAD to guess, I would say it's so they are in home country with access to their primary care doc, family, readily available funds, etc. I think the legality is the better question, though. The way they have quarantined New Rochelle, NY, would someone returning from a trip be allowed back? I've certainly seen it after hurricanes here in Florida with curfews, etc.

I am pretty sure, on the curfew and/or evacuate side of things, it is not 100% enforceable. However, first-responder-type services won't be sent until "all clear" is in effect. And think about the grounding of planes after 9/11. We heard the occasional helicopter from the hospitals, but when we heard planes again we were almost spooked by the sound. COULD a private plane have gone up in limited fashion? I have no idea on that, but any smart pilot wouldn't go up just to prove a point. Getting shot down by fighter jets is not a good way to prove how "free" you are!