Ok. It's time

Makavelihawk

to take Adam Woodbury out of the starting lineup and make him a 7 min./game role player.

I've been a strong Woodbury supporter over the past 1.5 years and I do continue to hold out at least some hope that he can turn into a good player. It does take big men longer to develop and hope that he is able to put it all together in his Jr/Sr seasons. I do think that he is a fantastic passer and at times helps defensively with his positioning. All this being said, he is flat out hurting the team when he is in. I think Uthoff should be playing 28-30 min/game moving forward. We need to see more Oglesby as he gets in better game shape. Moving around Basabe and Uthoff into 4's/5's along with these extra minutes should fill the min. that Woodbury is currently taking. He's a massive liability on offense outside of his very good passing, and he isn't changing enough shots or rebounding enough to make up for his lack of offensive ability. I hope Fran makes this move, and I hope Woodbury understands and accepts his new role.

to take Adam Woodbury out of the starting lineup and make him a 7 min./game role player.

I've been a strong Woodbury supporter over the past 1.5 years and I do continue to hold out at least some hope that he can turn into a good player. It does take big men longer to develop and hope that he is able to put it all together in his Jr/Sr seasons. I do think that he is a fantastic passer and at times helps defensively with his positioning. All this being said, he is flat out hurting the team when he is in. I think Uthoff should be playing 28-30 min/game moving forward. We need to see more Oglesby as he gets in better game shape. Moving around Basabe and Uthoff into 4's/5's along with these extra minutes should fill the min. that Woodbury is currently taking. He's a massive liability on offense outside of his very good passing, and he isn't changing enough shots or rebounding enough to make up for his lack of offensive ability. I hope Fran makes this move, and I hope Woodbury understands and accepts his new role.

I disagree with this entire post. Woodbury can play and should continue to start.

IMO there is a noticeable dropoff on D when Woodbury is not in the game. To me, that is a big enough reason to keep him in as much as possible. Particularly in Marble and White are in the game.

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about...Woodbury got 14 minutes today, Uthoff 26 and Oglesthree had 17. What he's asking for, other than the starting position, is already happening. A couple of things to think about, Woody needs to play to develop...it's the bottom line and there are games that are going to suit him, so play him more minutes in those games. Secondly, he understand position defense and, honestly, I don't think he gets a fair shake on some of the fouls he gets.

Uthoff is going to demand more playing time as I don't think it's a co-winky-dink that alot of our runs offensively happen when he's on the floor. That being said, both he and Basabe deserve more time...and that may come at the expense of McCabe. If McCabe goes 0-8 like he did today, he's going to get less minutes.

I thought Fran substituted beautifully today and found the combination he wanted during that critical run. I also thought Gessell played very well and didn't turn it over...he ran the team well.

Totally agree, he needs to play minimally this year, gain 30 lbs and develop for next year. Complete offensive liability. He has no power move towards the hoop. He seems to get shoved around looking for offensive rebounds. Can't believe he was actually a "big get" on Roy Williams list. Too bad Fran couldn't have "lost" Woodbury to UNC and landed Marcus Paige who is playing well.

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about...Woodbury got 14 minutes today, Uthoff 26 and Oglesthree had 17. What he's asking for, other than the starting position, is already happening. A couple of things to think about, Woody needs to play to develop...it's the bottom line and there are games that are going to suit him, so play him more minutes in those games. Secondly, he understand position defense and, honestly, I don't think he gets a fair shake on some of the fouls he gets.

Uthoff is going to demand more playing time as I don't think it's a co-winky-dink that alot of our runs offensively happen when he's on the floor. That being said, both he and Basabe deserve more time...and that may come at the expense of McCabe. If McCabe goes 0-8 like he did today, he's going to get less minutes.

I thought Fran substituted beautifully today and found the combination he wanted during that critical run. I also thought Gessell played very well and didn't turn it over...he ran the team well.

For the most part I agree, except late in the 2nd half when he brought in Woodbury and he immediately fouled a guy for a 3 point play. After which Fran immediately pulled him. I don't think he should be in any close game in the 2nd half whatsoever at this point is really what I'm saying. I think 14 min is too much for him to be playing right now. I don't hate the guy at all. I just think right now he hurts the team when he's in.

Yes, he actually can. You're just watching a game you don't understand or comprehend. Go back to synchronized swimming or whatever it is you do know something about. It obviously is not college basketball.

This is adorable. Go look at advanced stats and then come back and talk to me.

(Hint: His plus/minus numbers are the worst of any of Iowa's main rotation players)

Last edited:
Even if you dont think he is one of the best 5 he should still be starting because he stayed in state. Also it doesnt matter who starts as far as minutes go.

Woodbury struggled today. He gets outmuscled and out maneuvered quite a lot. He never has an easy game.

Having said that, I like the way McCaffery uses him.

And having said that, and I'm glad Woody is not getting more than 15 minutes per game in conference play.

Totally agree, he needs to play minimally this year, gain 30 lbs and develop for next year. Complete offensive liability. He has no power move towards the hoop. He seems to get shoved around looking for offensive rebounds. Can't believe he was actually a "big get" on Roy Williams list. Too bad Fran couldn't have "lost" Woodbury to UNC and landed Marcus Paige who is playing well.

I dare anyone to look through this guy's post history and make a convincing argument that he's not a Clone troll.

This is adorable. Go look at advanced stats and then come back and talk to me.

(Hint: His plus/minus numbers are the worst of any of Iowa's main rotation players)

Do screens and knowing who and when to screen show up in the advanced stats? Does perimeter defense show up? Does help defense show up? Does plugging the middle on defense show up?

Yes, he has his deficiencies, he needs to add muscle and finish better on offense, but he is being used as a screener very effectively (I think Fran really uses what he has very well) and he takes up help defense to free up others on the perimeter and the baseline.

Do screens and knowing who and when to screen show up in the advanced stats? Does perimeter defense show up? Does help defense show up? Does plugging the middle on defense show up?

Yes, he has his deficiencies, he needs to add muscle and finish better on offense, but he is being used as a screener very effectively (I think Fran really uses what he has very well) and he takes up help defense to free up others on the perimeter and the baseline.

Yes. They do. Plus/minus over a large sample size take all of that into account as to how your team overall performs when you are on the floor. It's meaningless for 1 game and can be determined on luck, but over a large sample size it takes all of those things into account. The player on Iowa currently that is having the least positive effect on plus/minus points scored when he's in the game is Adam Woodbury.

Omfg, can't we enjoy this before bashing on players? Iowa just beat the 3rd ranked team in the country, ON THE ROAD!

We're sitting at 15-3, ranked #20 and moving up because we just went ON THE ROAD and beat #3, and people are still second guessing Fran... Gotta love it!

All of the people that know more than Fran about coaching basketball should have definitely gone into coaching because you probably don't earn over $1.5 Million per year. Of course I could be wrong.

And before anybody gets all butthurt, I understand this is a message board and that's you do on a message board :p

Latest posts