Ok, Iowa's good.

A win at Indiana is a great win.

"Fate" was leading us to a classic Iowa meltdown but NO, Iowa bucks it up. Great en of the game by JB.

Please, please, block out the big guys. On that jam, put back, late in the game. Two guys standing there after the shot went up, watching....BOX OUT!!!!!

Yes, it's very frustrating when a simple box out is neglected. But, if you are talking about the missed basket interference with 1:52 left in the game, that was just another example of the refs screwing up royally. That is unless the rules have changed and it is ok to grab the rim and yank it down BEFORE the ball goes through it.

Iowa is good but, and I'm going to hate myself for being THAT guy, Indiana passed up and missed a lot of wide open looks at the 3 ball. It appeared to me Fran set the zone up to force Indiana to shoot from the outside knowing they suck. It worked, Iowa got the win, but a better shooting team would have clobbered Iowa last night.

But give credit to Fran, it was a solid game plan and JB came up with some HUGE buckets.

The huge difference this year compared to last year is that when an opponent started to cut into a lead last year we would melt away like snow on a warm spring day. This year we are buckling down after a team cuts into our lead and our upper classmen are being the leaders we need them to be.

What is beginning to make this team seem like it has great potential
is how we can win even when one of our best players has an off night. That’s a sure sign of mental toughness. I hope it carries on through out the rest of the regular and post season.

Dear Santa; Can we keep cook around for one more season??? If that happens we likely would be one of the pre-season favorites next year to win the B1G.

Great teams have different guys that can step up when others struggle. There are a handful of guys that can get the hot hand for this squad. Will be fun to see how far they can go in the tourney.

Last night was the type of road win I've been wanting to see. Just a gutsy effort. Indiana kept coming, and Iowa kept answering.

So I'm starting to buy in to this team, that they can get hot down the stretch and earn a nice NCAA seed.

I'll be honest: Based on past history, it scares the crap outta me, lol. This is typically when the rug gets pulled from under us and we lose 6 or 7 out of 8. Praying this team keeps the pedal to the metal.

First time I'm really starting to buy it (besides winning the early tourney, maybe the 5 wins in a row, the Michigan win).

Michigan is their signature win, but I think this is their most impressive win of the year. Yes, Indiana does not have the greatest record, but they are tough on their home court and they had to beat the refs tonight as well. Big road win and if this keeps up.....depending on the draw....NCAAs could be very interesting for Iowa.

The Fran collapse is something that I still keep in mind, but I think with what we have left is unlikely to happen.

Fran has something cooking right now.
One way to measure if a team is good or not with this group anyway is we had a night where Moss Garza and Kreiner were pretty much non factors and still win ON THE ROAD. If you'd have told me before this game Garza would hardly play have 4 points and Moss had another goose egg I'd say we lost by 10. We have guys that step up if others are struggling. It's absolutely great to see. JBo is their leader. He plays under control. He wasn't forcing things and besides maybe JW there's no one else I'd rather see shooting it from deep.

Cook I thought played really well. He was playing hard yet under control. We may have been lucky he didn't get in worse foul trouble the way the refs were calling things. But he was great from whistle to whistle pretty much. I do wish he'd not try and be so cute with shooting that left handed half hook from over 10 feet sometimes. I think he may be more confident in his shot making abilities with that then he should be. I thought his 12 foot fadeaway jumper he swished was a huge shot. One I didn't think he'd even take. But man what a big shot at the time. It wasn't just his scoring either. He played tough D for the most part. Stuffed the box score with 7 rbs 4 assists and 2 steals. I'm happy he's playing well. He's a good kid and it's fun watching him.

If we are going to make some hay in the post season (yes I'm fired up and looking ahead) we'll need to have everyone playing well. They don't all have to go off for 15 plus points but Garza and Moss gotta pick it up. Garzas head just wasn't in the game at the defensive side of the floor at all. Hope that can change.

This team went from good to very good when they BOTH started locking in on defense AND stopped turning the ball over. They were great vs MI and again vs IN.

This team could run the regular season table. If they continue to lock in on D, they just might. Toughest part of the schedule is behind them. They only have 1 game remaining (@Wisco) as tough as the one they just won (and they seem destined to avenge that home loss).

Luka Garza looked really really tired last night. He was just worn out for some reason. Like he just woke up from a nap.

I'm sure he will rebound, but last night was rough. I hope he doesn't have mono. Yikes!

I'm thinking that the team is wishing they had that Minnesota game back. It would put them right in the thick of a championship run.

Box out is BASIC. Improvement is Steps no? Maybe small sometimes. Miss Cordell.Still Next.Tough Hawk Players...
In almost any sport, standing around and watching isn't productive. In baseball, ball is in play, but not at you, cover a base, back up the outfielder, do SOMETHING. BB, Shot is up, watching it like a movie isn't productive...BOX OUT...do SOMETHING If you are watching, you aren't helping. Too many guys are in love with their jumping ability to get rebounds. It is an art, a team exercise, hard work, DO IT You will win a lot more on all levels. That said, great win at Indiana. Fundamentals x a million.

Yes, it's very frustrating when a simple box out is neglected. But, if you are talking about the missed basket interference with 1:52 left in the game, that was just another example of the refs screwing up royally. That is unless the rules have changed and it is ok to grab the rim and yank it down BEFORE the ball goes through it.
I am not sure which play, big, follow up, loud dunk. Sounds like the same play. That one official, was a real prick for Iowa calls. Only saw last 10 minutes of game. Not sure about the rest of the game.

Luka Garza looked really really tired last night. He was just worn out for some reason. Like he just woke up from a nap.

I'm sure he will rebound, but last night was rough. I hope he doesn't have mono. Yikes!
Agree, so much respiratory crap out there law of averages would have 2-3 players on each team at less than full breathing ability on any given day.

One way to measure if a team is good or not with this group anyway is we had a night where Moss Garza and Kreiner were pretty much non factors and still win ON THE ROAD. If you'd have told me before this game Garza would hardly play have 4 points and Moss had another goose egg I'd say we lost by 10. We have guys that step up if others are struggling. It's absolutely great to see. JBo is their leader. He plays under control. He wasn't forcing things and besides maybe JW there's no one else I'd rather see shooting it from deep.

Cook I thought played really well. He was playing hard yet under control. We may have been lucky he didn't get in worse foul trouble the way the refs were calling things. But he was great from whistle to whistle pretty much. I do wish he'd not try and be so cute with shooting that left handed half hook from over 10 feet sometimes. I think he may be more confident in his shot making abilities with that then he should be. I thought his 12 foot fadeaway jumper he swished was a huge shot. One I didn't think he'd even take. But man what a big shot at the time. It wasn't just his scoring either. He played tough D for the most part. Stuffed the box score with 7 rbs 4 assists and 2 steals. I'm happy he's playing well. He's a good kid and it's fun watching him.

If we are going to make some hay in the post season (yes I'm fired up and looking ahead) we'll need to have everyone playing well. They don't all have to go off for 15 plus points but Garza and Moss gotta pick it up. Garzas head just wasn't in the game at the defensive side of the floor at all. Hope that can change.
I saw one play near the end of the game where Cook got the rebound and looked ready to perform one of his full length court implosions, but...he paused, looked at the guard and gave it up. THANK YOU

It is nice to have an NBA type talent or two, you win more often than not. That said, there is an advantage in having a team of average players, each of whom, can contribute some big points and minutes. Such teams are more difficult to defend most of the time.

First time I'm really starting to buy it (besides winning the early tourney, maybe the 5 wins in a row, the Michigan win).

Michigan is their signature win, but I think this is their most impressive win of the year. Yes, Indiana does not have the greatest record, but they are tough on their home court and they had to beat the refs tonight as well. Big road win and if this keeps up.....depending on the draw....NCAAs could be very interesting for Iowa.

The Fran collapse is something that I still keep in mind, but I think with what we have left is unlikely to happen.

Fran has something cooking right now.
Cook'ing

I saw one play near the end of the game where Cook got the rebound and looked ready to perform one of his full length court implosions, but...he paused, looked at the guard and gave it up. THANK YOU

It is nice to have an NBA type talent or two, you win more often than not. That said, there is an advantage in having a team of average players, each of whom, can contribute some big points and minutes. Such teams are more difficult to defend most of the time.
Yup I think I know the play your referencing. He really played within himself and didn't try to do too much all game long pretty much. If he plays that way all the time holy smokes. The moments weren't too big for him out there. He could have gotten pretty frustrated with some of the calls (I sure as hell was) but he just kept his head and stayed in there. He had to with how Garza and Kreiners games went.

We have what I think is a unique group of guys. We have like 7 guys that all can put up 15 any given game. Granted they all can't the same games. But they're capable. Which makes us tough to guard. None of them are selfish and really go hunting or forcing a bunch of bad shots. Shot selection to me is so big. Occasionally you'll have a forced/bad shot taken here and there that's basketball. It's when you get a frustrated player that goes hunting and forcing things that can throw off the rhythm of the whole team. When you have a star or two and they struggle and begin doing that it can be tough. That's one thing we don't have and it's fun to watch a team of good players play this way.

Yup I think I know the play your referencing. He really played within himself and didn't try to do too much all game long pretty much. If he plays that way all the time holy smokes. The moments weren't too big for him out there. He could have gotten pretty frustrated with some of the calls (I sure as hell was) but he just kept his head and stayed in there. He had to with how Garza and Kreiners games went.

We have what I think is a unique group of guys. We have like 7 guys that all can put up 15 any given game. Granted they all can't the same games. But they're capable. Which makes us tough to guard. None of them are selfish and really go hunting or forcing a bunch of bad shots. Shot selection to me is so big. Occasionally you'll have a forced/bad shot taken here and there that's basketball. It's when you get a frustrated player that goes hunting and forcing things that can throw off the rhythm of the whole team. When you have a star or two and they struggle and begin doing that it can be tough. That's one thing we don't have and it's fun to watch a team of good players play this way.
Concur...but, wow, with an elite PG type, this team would be really special.

Iowa is good but, and I'm going to hate myself for being THAT guy, Indiana passed up and missed a lot of wide open looks at the 3 ball. It appeared to me Fran set the zone up to force Indiana to shoot from the outside knowing they suck. It worked, Iowa got the win, but a better shooting team would have clobbered Iowa last night.

But give credit to Fran, it was a solid game plan and JB came up with some HUGE buckets.

Sometimes you need a little luck. There were times Indiana had Iowa totally locked down at the end of the shot clock and Iowa took and made some off-balance three's that don't always go in. It wasn't Iowa's best performance but a sign of a great team is winning games where you don't play your best.

Sometimes you need a little luck. There were times Indiana had Iowa totally locked down at the end of the shot clock and Iowa took and made some off-balance three's that don't always go in. It wasn't Iowa's best performance but a sign of a great team is winning games where you don't play your best.
Indiana made some end of the close game quintessential Iowa moves last night, which was pleasant to see. Iowa, won. Another feather in the confidence cap.

JB hit that one unbelievable three pointer and Cook the mid-range jumper. Those usually happen against Iowa at the end. Not last night, at Indiana!

Latest posts