OK HN, it's Game Day, how do the players/coaches respond heading into Dayton?

If you look at last nights game

NCST came in winning 4 of 5, while Xavier came in losing 4 of 5, NC State rolls.

Tennessee comes in winning 5 out of 6, and winning big, only loss to Florida in a close game.

Iowa coming in like Xavier last night. Not playing very well.

I would guess it is a pro Tennessee crowd given only the 4 hour driving distance..

Lots of things stacked against Iowa, but maybe something will finally click, and shots will fall when they need them to.

One of Xavier's best players is coming off an injury and still wasn't 100%. Plus NC State is just a better team than Xavier so they should have won the game.

Iowa is going to come out tonight and put Rocky Top 10 ft under. This isn't MSU or Florida we are playing people. That team can be beaten with a good perf. from the Hawks.

Per above, who is that wuss looking NW player? Do they even sweat?

Saying that their players don't even have to break a sweat to beat Iowa isn't exactly top-shelf trash talk material... :)

One of Xavier's best players is coming off an injury and still wasn't 100%. Plus NC State is just a better team than Xavier so they should have won the game.

Stainbrook is the injured player you are talking about for Xavier and he played one of his best games of the year. He had 19 pts and 9 rebounds. His previous injury had nothing to do with why Xavier lost last night. They lost because they couldn't get stops against NC State's offense. Especially late in the game. Warren took over.

The last 2 years, Iowa finished the season strong, playing their best basketball of the year going into the NIT. Iowa's strong play continued in the NIT with Marble, especially, taking games over and looking like a star.

This year, Iowa was playing their best basketball in January. Although Marble has been putting up good numbers, the team has been out of sync. The BTT loss to Northwestern on a neutral court going into the NCAAs gives me a bad feeling because that was a great opportunity for Iowa to regroup heading into the NCAAs.

Although we've seen what this team is capable of, I'm not sure if they have the mental toughness to turn the page from February and the first half of March and get back to doing the things that made them successful?

Is Fran's family situation a rallying cry for the team or a distraction? Will Iowa come out tight, trying to do too much, and fall into the "hear we go again" mental state? Will Iowa come out blazing only to fall asleep in the second half as we've seen so many times in the past month and a half? Or can Iowa play a full 40 minutes as a team and finish the game to get the "W"?

I'm concerned with the sophomore slump of our point guards. I'm concerned with Woodbury and Uthoff being weak with the ball against a big, athletic front court. I'm concerned with White continuing to get his touches around the perimeter instead of in a position where he can do something with it. I'm concerned that McCabe doesn't match up well with athletic big men. I'm concerned that Marble may force things and/or if Marble finds the open man, the open man might not have the confidence to take the shot or make the play. I'm concerned that Olaseni won't get a chance to get comfortable in the game due to foul trouble or Fran sticking with Woodbury too much or a smaller lineup. I'm concerned that Jok may get too much of a chance when he may not be ready (regardless of how he has practiced). I'm concerned that Iowa won't make an effort to get the ball inside to Basabe to put pressure on the Vol big men and settle on shots from the perimeter.

I'd love to see Iowa make a run here but more than anything, I want to see the effort. I know these kids want it. I hope they go out and take it. It's been a long road back, I hope they make the most of it.

Go Hawks!

I'm not sure why, but I'm sensing that you are concerned.....

Latest posts