Oglesby possibly to redshirt?

MeatMan

Just heard on the "On Iowa" podcast that there have been some discussions on JO redshirting. Won't be healed up till after X-mas, and then of course won't be in game shape. What do you guys think?

I don't know if I like that idea. That would give Iowa six juniors next year. That's a lot of players in one class.

yeah, unless Iowa can land a JUCO or something to even up the classes, that's a lot for one class.

No real issue there, had Iowa been a normal situation he would have redshirted his freshman year.

If he does maybe that is exactly what he needs to be able to settle in and be the shooter Fran thinks he is.

I certainly will miss all of the Oglesby threads after each loss if he does indeed redshirt.

If he does, how many Woodbury threads will start? Hell, Iowa is winning and people are still questioning the guy.

Matt Gatens has passed the torch to Woodbury, or shall I say lightning rod.

He needs to redshirt.

The kid has talent and really good size for a shooting guard but lacked consistency last year. So what if we have an overloaded Jr class next year. We need wins in the NCAA tournament before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

If an injury happens then be prepared to pull it if he will help this years team. If not then you just bought a year of eligibility for what could be a missing piece to next years team.

Selfishly I want him back and all weapons available as we head into both the conference tourney and hopefully the big dance.

I feel like Redshirting is to allow players to develop physically in order to adapt to the college game. At this point it's mainly use for big men. As a guard if you need redshirted, might as well not waste the time and just recruit over the player.

Josh won't reap any benefits other than not having to miss any PT. He is what he is physically and his issues are mental. Only one way for josh to get out of the slump and that's shoot out of it in game time. Couple good shooting performances is all it would take in my opinion.

Would really surprise me if that happens. Redshirting a 9th man doesn't make a lot of sense and after last season's 18% from 3 performance, probably best to move him through. Jok is benefitting from more minutes and is exponentially more dynamic than JO. Keeping a 3 point shooter who can't make 3's and is a defensive liability for an extra year doesn't make sense.

I certainly will miss all of the Oglesby threads after each loss if he does indeed redshirt.

If he does, how many Woodbury threads will start? Hell, Iowa is winning and people are still questioning the guy.

Matt Gatens has passed the torch to Woodbury, or shall I say lightning rod.

Well Put, Sportstalent.....

Josh will break out of his shooting problems at some point. He is valuable in other aspects that go unnoticed, for instance his superior ball handling and passing, and his defense has improved from year one. He is a solid capable player. We know what he is capable of from three point range, same as we knew Gatens was. Matt had an average junior year for him. He was the only threat from outside and was hounded the entire game. Eventually he would not shoot when open for a split second from one of his spots.....

Josh will come around, many times a player is tentative coming back from a long time injury and that will not help in the Big Ten, and is an aspect that will be taken advantage of in the cutthroat world of B1G basketball. With redshirting he will have the time to completely recover and play at full strength......

If he doesn't redshirt, we might be wasting a year for a solid player who, I am certain, will cause jaws to drop with his outstanding three point capability. I will never forget his 7 threes at Indiana, a very tough place to play. He is able when ready.....

Besides how many players do we need to kick around, we had Eric May for almost two years, then Josh last season, now Woody, let's save the hatred for next year.....

Would be the sporting thing to do, Lads....

yeah, it will certainly be interesting to see what happens. i'm guessing it will be Josh's call. i doubt Fran would force that upon him.

Please let him get through the system on current schedule. He isn't good enough to get minutes for a program the level that it seems that Coach Fran wants to take us.
If the team has great success this year, Fran should be able to recruit a better player with that scholarship.

Would really surprise me if that happens. Redshirting a 9th man doesn't make a lot of sense and after last season's 18% from 3 performance, probably best to move him through. Jok is benefitting from more minutes and is exponentially more dynamic than JO. Keeping a 3 point shooter who can't make 3's and is a defensive liability for an extra year doesn't make sense.

Either you don't pay attention to Josh at all when he's playing defense, or you're not very knowledgeable about bball. Josh is actually a pretty solid defender, and not a "defensive liability" at all. Jok is at this point though. Josh works hard on D.

Either you don't pay attention to Josh at all when he's playing defense, or you're not very knowledgeable about bball. Josh is actually a pretty solid defender, and not a "defensive liability" at all. Jok is at this point though. Josh works hard on D.

I never understand how people can post outright BS lies just to try and prove a point and think no one is going to call them. Josh is one of the better defenders on the team and gives the team another excellent ball handler when he's in there. Jok, right now, is downright awful at both of those. I'm not throwing Jok under the bus by saying that....it's simply a fact. Right now, his defense and ball handling is nowhere CLOSE to where it needs to be to play meaningful minutes in the B1G.....it will get there eventually, but not now. It works against the Maryland Eastern Shores and Abilene Christians of the world, but not the MSUs, OSUs and Wisky's of the world.

I hope JO doesn't have to redshirt because he brings a lot of good things to the court that this team could definitely use once the B1G schedule starts up.

I never understand how people can post outright BS lies just to try and prove a point and think no one is going to call them. Josh is one of the better defenders on the team and gives the team another excellent ball handler when he's in there. Jok, right now, is downright awful at both of those. I'm not throwing Jok under the bus by saying that....it's simply a fact. Right now, his defense and ball handling is nowhere CLOSE to where it needs to be to play meaningful minutes in the B1G.....it will get there eventually, but not now. It works against the Maryland Eastern Shores and Abilene Christians of the world, but not the MSUs, OSUs and Wisky's of the world.

I hope JO doesn't have to redshirt because he brings a lot of good things to the court that this team could definitely use once the B1G schedule starts up.

The same people said Gatens was a defensive liability.

Latest posts