Oglebys' 3 Point Shot

eyekwah

Maybe it is me, but when I watch Josh shoot the 3, or for that matter a longer range 2, he is off if he cannot his feet set squarely to the rim and directly under him. If he is moving left or right and not completely set it isn't falling. If you get a chance to watch tonight see if you notice this.

The nights he has good shooting there is no hesitation. Almost like he's looking for the too wide open shot. I hope he is on today as we need the 3 ball in this game.

He's not effective coming off screens or off his own dribble. If he's allowed to set, and catch, he's better - which is likely true for most 3 point shooters. That's why I'd like to see him more spot up, get a kick out from the post or on a skip pass. There are times when he's in that position and I think he should shoot, but he passes on that shot, and will then take the more difficult 3 pointer that comes off of movement. It's like golf, the farther the ball travels, even the most fractional off balance/off center release, will carry farther off line the farther it goes - while it may fall on a 10 footer, it's far enough off line on a 22 footer to not go in.

With Uthoff and Jok coming in next year, unless he becomes more of a threat to make his 3, I think he'll see less time on the floor next season. Hopefully my prediction is wrong, which means he got better.

I think the problem has more to do with him falling away from the shot than being in motion or not square.

I think the problem has more to do with him falling away from the shot than being in motion or not square.

Kids these days watch way too much LBJ. That was my problem as a kid, watched Jordan.

It is a vicious cycle, who will be the next prodigy to master the fade way?

Been discussed ad nauseum. So I will just stir the pot some more with this: JO is not a good 3 pt shooter. He does nothing for this team and should not see any game time for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure he is a good person and trying as hard as he can, but a B1G skill level is just not there.

I think hes inside his own head. Watching him shoot is like watching a golfer with 10 swing tboughts going on in his head. He needs to stop thinking and just chuck it up.

I think hes inside his own head. Watching him shoot is like watching a golfer with 10 swing tboughts going on in his head. He needs to stop thinking and just chuck it up.

Are you comparing JO's 3 point shooting to Charles Barkley's golf swing?

Been discussed ad nauseum. So I will just stir the pot some more with this: JO is not a good 3 pt shooter. He does nothing for this team and should not see any game time for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure he is a good person and trying as hard as he can, but a B1G skill level is just not there.

Just keep in mind though he has shown signs of getting hot and when a shooter gets hot they can carry a team. Think back to last year Gatens was struggling to hit 3s and around the half way point was close to the same percentage Oglesby is. We all remember how hot he got and carried Iowa to quite a few win down the stretch. Obviously Gatens brought more to the table than Oglesby but if he can ind his stroke in game Iowa could beat anybody.

The biggest problem I see is him pump faking an open 3 then driving 1 or 2 dribbles for a long contested 2, which also tends not to fall.

Hey Sioux, I am guessing that you saw a few more of JO's high school games. He got away with the falling back stuff in high school. Not as much at the B1G level.

I think it's more of him not being ready to shoot or not having a shooter's mentality than it is his shot being slow. While he doesn't have Gaten's senior year release, he can still get his shot off just fine.

Dead Eye is 23 for 80 from behind the ark! I would say thats pretty good. ;)

He needs a slumpbuster.

slumpbuster.jpg

Latest posts