!*****Official 'Why Waste $$ On NYC When You Can Check Out The Sanford Pentagon' Game Thread*****!

Moving in the right direction is all anybody can ask for. One game at a time and that's 4 in a row. Keep it up Hawks. By the way who needs students when everybody at the game participates. Hats off to the crowd tonight! Fun game and a fun crowd!

Moving in the right direction is all anybody can ask for. One game at a time and that's 4 in a row. Keep it up Hawks. By the way who needs students when everybody at the game participates. Hats off to the crowd tonight! Fun game and a fun crowd!
Must have felt good tonight for these guys to play and get a win in front of a packed house of noisy Iowa fans. Reminded me of the old Fieldhouse and the early years of CHA. Dem days are long gone, I fear.

Sooooo, can anyone, with good facts, explain why Uhl has gone from a player with a lot of upside just two years ago to riding the pine? Better players came in? He didn't work on his game? A case of the yips?

Im glad those Iowa fans got to be there and celebrate this win

Iowa fans are every where and they don’t mind going out of their way to watch their team. Colorado not so much. There is much more to do in Colorado than in Iowa. NFL, NBA, MLB, tourism, Airforce Academy, etc, so a mediocre basketball program is not going to garner a lot of fan base.

Have you paid attention to Iowa's schedule and results? The just beat a team with a signature win over Drake.

Yup. Season ticket holder for many years. I know they have a long way to go. But, I would have been more in agreement if you had said not that they are a terrible team, but rather they are highly inconsistent but will likely get better because they have a lot of darn good players. I was furious during this game when we went on our stretch of poor defense and multiple turnovers. I am not blind to their faults. Terrible? No.

Yup. Season ticket holder for many years. I know they have a long way to go. But, I would have been more in agreement if you had said not that they are a terrible team, but rather they are highly inconsistent but will likely get better because they have a lot of darn good players. I was furious during this game when we went on our stretch of poor defense and multiple turnovers. I am not blind to their faults. Terrible? No.

I think I said two not very good teams. I don't think I've ever said terrible. Not saying this to brag, but when I analyze things I'm doing it as a former HS coach. Here is what I would tell my team (short version) about playing Iowa.

1. Lack fundamentals. This is a team you can forcefully over play the week hand.
2. Over play the passing lanes. They aren't going to hurt you on the drive. They will hurt you on the pass.
3. They try and play physical. Focus on your body position because they won't on rebounding.
4. Head fake and drive. Their hands are out of position which will slow their D step.
5. Watch for runs and the uptempo. Keep them out of rhythm and get them in a half court.
6. Never leave JBo open.
7. CM has a very low trajectory shot. Don't worry about the close out, BLOCK and contest it, even over a screen.
8. They have average players mostly, most of which can do one or two things unusually well. Know their tendencies.
9. Watch the coach and see what he's upset about. Go after that.
10. Make Cook put the ball on the ground. Body him up away from the rim.
11. Close out and get a body on long shots, They get a lot of rebounds from misses and they miss a lot.

I"m not someone as I've said that thinks they had 4 more wins in them some weeks ago. I fully expect this team to be in the middle. However, I think it will be lower middle unless someone steps up as a game player. Instead of 10-8, it will be more like 7-11 or 6-12. However the Big is very weak. However, usually even the Bigs weaker teams have a decent PG. If this team had one, it would be easier to use a team of mediocre players with poor fundamentals and can do a thing or two quite well.

Last edited:
I think I said two not very good teams. I don't think I've ever said terrible. Not saying this to brag, but when I analyze things I'm doing it as a former HS coach. Here is what I would tell my team (short version) about playing Iowa.

1. Lack fundamentals. This is a team you can forcefully over play the week hand.
2. Over play the passing lanes. They aren't going to hurt you on the drive. They will hurt you on the pass.
3. They try and play physical. Focus on your body position because they won't on rebounding.
4. Head fake and drive. Their hands are out of position which will slow their D step.
5. Watch for runs and the uptempo. Keep them out of rhythm and get them in a half court.
6. Never leave JBo open.
7. CM has a very low trajectory shot. Don't worry about the close out, BLOCK and contest it, even over a screen.
8. They have average players mostly, most of which can do one or two things unusually well. Know their tendencies.
9. Watch the coach and see what he's upset about. Go after that.
10. Make Cook put the ball on the ground. Body him up away from the rim.
11. Close out and get a body on long shots, They get a lot of rebounds from misses and they miss a lot.

I"m not someone as I've said that thinks they had 4 more wins in them some weeks ago. I fully expect this team to be in the middle. However, I think it will be lower middle unless someone steps up as a game player. Instead of 10-8, it will be more like 7-11 or 6-12. However the Big is very weak. However, usually even the Bigs weaker teams have a decent PG. If this team had one, it would be easier to use a team of mediocre players with poor fundamentals and can do a thing or two quite well.

I think you’ve painted a pretty accurate picture of this team. Good stuff.

Great comeback. Love the energy!

Please tell me FM recruited and offered this Wright kid! He’s really good.

19 schools, including Iowa State, Minnesota, K-State, Indiana, Nebraska, Memphis, Illinois, Wisconsin and Northern Iowa were interested in Wright.
No interest from Iowa.

Wright is a high 3-star recruit from MN, but looks like a 5-star, as a freshman.

giphy.gif

Latest posts