• Iowa by 4-7

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Iowa by 8-10

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Iowa by 10 or more

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I predict my blood pressure will be entirely too high for my doctor's liking.
I predict I will either feel tremendous relief because it will be a close game and a little bit of hope by Saturday evening.
Or, I predict I will be pretty grumpy and dejected about the rest of the season.

My heart doctor would like to have a word with the Big 10 about these first game in-conference matchups. Then again, maybe it's good as there's always the possibility to "get it over with early" if it's a season that's not to be.

I voted 4-7 pt victory, but I am now leaning more like 8+.

They have a good D, but they really made hay last year by taking the ball away. They had 17 interceptions in 8 games. They weren't exceptional in stopping the run (4 ypc, 7th in B1G, 46th nationally; 137 yds/game, 5th in B1G, 34th nationally). I think Iowa needs to play conservatively and execute in the redzone (or have their playmakers bust a few big ones) and they will score some points and give Indiana long fields to work with.

Their offense actually looked subpar last year by efficiency metrics, and they were middle of the pack in pts/game (28.9 vs. Iowa's 31.8). It seems like they leaned heavily on the big-play (in particular from Fryfogle), and that is what Iowa is best at eliminating. Iowa might be susceptible to a pounding rushing attack, but it doesn't seem like Indiana is set up to beat you that way.

I feel like our offensive strength matches up with their defensive weakness, while their offensive strength is countered by our defensive strength. Plus, Iowa has generally covered these sorts of games for the past 4 years. I feel weirdly confident. After Saturday, you can all curse me for the jinx I just applied.

Indiana gave up 137 ypg on the groud last year. Iowa is 56-5 over the past five years gaining 100+ yards. Ground and pound. Iowa wins by a TD.

I'd be surprised if Iowa wins this game by more than 3-4 points. I think it comes down to time of possession. If Iowa can sustain long drives and keep Indianas offense on the bench Iowa wins 28-24.

Latest posts