Offensive Line, A Work in Progress

AreWeThereYet

Who do you have as the Iowa's best offensive linemen?

Tyler Linderbaum C RS JR
Cody Ince LG RS JR (can play tackle)
Kyler Schott RG/LG RS SR (? coming back from injury)
Connor Colby RT/RG FR
Justin Britt RG/C RS SO
Mason Richman LT/LG RS FR
Nick DeJong RT RS SO
Tyler Elsbury LG/RG RS FR
Jack Plumb LT RS JR

I have added secondary positions reflecting where they were in last year's depth chart.

Of course they need to test out Kyler Schott's foot. Justin Britt is a very good run blocker but not so good at pass blocking.

Connor Colby has graded out really well in both games. He got plenty of plays against Iowa State and is pushing hard for playing time. I wonder if Colby will become the #2 right guard alongside being the #2 right tackle.

Jack Plumb graded out very poorly in both games. Will someone else eventually move into the backup spot at left tackle.

This is where I think it all ends up at the end of the season as long as there are no injuries:
Richman, Britt, Tyler, Shooter, Colby

It's going to be a committee other than Linderbaum and Ince. Which is ok.

I don't see anyone in the list getting squeezed out of reps anytime soon. A lot will hinge on how well Schott progresses once back. I have a suspicion that his recovery is doing well and the staff held off until after the Iowa state game.

Where Conner Colby fits into the scheme of things is an interesting question. I think it's too early to form an opinion on that.

Graded out by who?

If you say PFF you might as well say Mel Kiper because they're about the same validity.
Are their any service/commentator's opinions we can discuss on here that you won't blast? Its a message board. Citing to people and services that get paid money to offer their opinions on college football players' abilities seems like as reasonable an approach of framing performance as any. Are these opinions gospel? Of course not. But, are they worthy of citation and discussion? Yep.

Kinda like Mitch King, even though he got a cup of coffee in the pros.
Yeah that was a brutal dose of reality watching King sit there expecting to get drafted high and then never even get called at all. Cautionary tale that the NFL doesn’t care what you do if you don’t fit the minimum mold. No matter how good Schott is he ain’t getting hired at 6 feet tall. He’s even joked in media articles about his 6’2” official listing being way off, we stood next to him after the spring game while my kid got pictures and I definitely have a little height on him…I’m 6’1. The football gods cursed him big time with a cruel joke.

Yeah that was a brutal dose of reality watching King sit there expecting to get drafted high and then never even get called at all. Cautionary tale that the NFL doesn’t care what you do if you don’t fit the minimum mold. No matter how good Schott is he ain’t getting hired at 6 feet tall. He’s even joked in media articles about his 6’2” official listing being way off, we stood next to him after the spring game while my kid got pictures and I definitely have a little height on him…I’m 6’1. The football gods cursed him big time with a cruel joke.
I'm five foot nine. All the gods cursed me big time with a cruel joke!

It's not the size of the pencil that counts...it's the handwriting.
The NFL has been evolving some in that regard. Kyler Murray was drafted numero uno and is like 5'9 and maybe 200 lbs. They aren't as afraid to draft smaller running QBs like they used to so maybe they'll evolve a little when it comes to Olineman...

I doubt it though. Anything smaller then 6'4 290 and they start dinging you it seems like. I'm not sure I've heard of an Olineman right at 6'0 anytime recently at the D1 level let alone the pros. He'd have to be exceptionally good to get considered for an NFL shot and even that probably wouldn't involve being drafted..... So we'll see. Hopefully he can stay healthy and dominate for us the rest of this yr. We could sure use it.

Kinda sucks we are so thin at both tackle spots... That's worry some to say the least. This would be a great year to have had a great Oline too to match with Goodson and give Petras some more time to set his feet. But this the hand we are dealt.

It's not the size of the pencil that counts...it's the handwriting.
I’m a 100% Kyler Schott fan and I think he brings great stuff to out OL. He also seems like an awesome kid when I’ve seen him interviewed.

But he ain’t gettin a job on Sundays at 6 feet tall. Just the way it is.

Actually, I don't think Iowa's line needs to be all that great to win the game. It simply can't play as poorly as it did against Colorado State. Perhaps more like its performance against Kent State. If it can perform on that level and have passing game more in sync, I think that bodes well.

Do I think that is realistic. I'm kind of mixed on that. I don't think Iowa can slow down Maryland's pass rush to quite the extent it did against Kent State. Kent State generated very little in the way of pass rush.

Iowa's passing game showed a great deal of improvement in the Colorado State game in spite of the poor blocking. Hopefully this is a sign that Iowa can get something going in spite of continuing issues with the offensive line.

As part of this, Iowa also needs to get the ball to Goodson in space. That also could incrementally improve with improvement in offensive line play.

Latest posts